Gradebook

problems using gradebook in moodle2

Picture of John Ryan
problems using gradebook in moodle2

I am finding the gradebook in Moodle 2 much more difficult to use than previous versions and suspect that I must be doing something wrong.

I have classes of about 20 students and I have many assignments and quizzes which I have put into various categories.

In the gradebook I cannot view all my students on one screen so have to scroll down.

I cannot view all assignments so have to scroll horizontally as well.

The biggest problem is that the horizontal scroll bar is at the bottom of the screen so when I scroll vertically down to it I lose the titles for an assignment so I often end up having to scroll down then scroll right then scroll up to see if the assignment I want is in view yet and if not scroll back to the bottom again.

I find this frustrating but can cope, however, many other members of staff have complained to me about this.

How do other people manage this?

Picture of Rob Monk
Re: problems using gradebook in moodle2

Agree with everything said. The scroll of death makes the gradebook a real pain when more than 20 students in the class or more than 6 assignments in the gradebook. We need to make it better.
Picture of Kees Koopman

I agree too.

Kees

Picture of Itamar Tzadok
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

The vertical scroll can be easily avoided by setting number of students per page in the grade report preferences:

As for the horizontal scroll, I've seen an effective hack that basically cuts the grade report table into two separate tables (in div containers), one containing the students names and the other the grades. The names table is set to float left (or right depending on lang) which effectively fixes it such that when the grades table is scrolled horizontally the name for each row remains visible. hth smile

Picture of Hartmut Scherer
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi John,

Probably you know that you can change the students' column so that you can always see their names at the left. In Site administration ->Grade -> Report settings -> Grader report, scroll down to and enable "Static students column."

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Picture of John Ryan

Thank you Hartmut and Itamar they are the settings I need to make the gradebook more user friendly.

I have to admit that I am surprised that the "static students column" is not the default setting.

Thanks again.

Picture of Donna Panasiewicz

I don't see site administration as an option.  Does that mean I need to contact the group hosting my classes?

Picture of Chrissy Trenholme

I have the same problem and the suggested changes do not help with the horizontal scroll as I like to look at a group of students, where there are about 20 in a group.  Does anyone know if there is going to be a fix for this?

I also seem to have the student email address in the gradebook, which wasn't there in 1.9.  Is there a way to get rid of this?

Thanks, Chrissy

Picture of Hartmut Scherer

Hi Chrissy,

I can only help you with your second question about the student email address in the gradebook. If you want to get rid of it, go to Site administration -> Users -> Permission -> User policies, scroll down and uncheck email address in "Show user identity." Found the answer at Grades FAQ.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Hi Hartmut,

Thank you for this and it does do away with the email in the gradebook, but it also does away with the email when looking at Users > Accounts > Browse list of users, which is where I need to see the email address!  So it looks as though I cannot get one without the other.  Maybe this can be fixed in the future.

Thank you, Chrissy

Hi,

To continue with my question about the scrolling and email addresses in the gradebook.  Is there fix I can do to

a) take out the email address in the gradebook, but not in the admin > users area

b) go back to the gradebook of 1.9 where the scroll bars were in the browser (we use IE8) and not within the gradebook area, so that I don't have to scroll all the way down the page to be able to scroll right.

c) the static student column is great but in IE8 on my system it fixes the names on the left then puts all the assignments underneath the names, is there a fix for this?

d) Is it possible to fix the assignment activity row so that it stays static too.

Thanks, Chrissy

Picture of Sal Kaceli

I have the same problem with the scrolling gradebook too. It would be great if this can be fixed sometime soon or have a workaround. We have courses with 80+ students and then 30+ assignments. It would be nice if the top row would stat static too when scrolling down if we are going to stick with scrolling. 

Picture of Bob Puffer
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

My empathy goes out to you all.  This is precisely why we developed the LAE grader.  Scrolls both ways, leaving your students AND your grade item column names visible at all times.  Its entirely compartmentalized, does not touch values in the tables, works with all the main browsers (up-to-date versions) and is currently being used by what I'd estimate to be more than 50 schools.  

Brought to you by CLAMP.  Available here for download for version 2.x.

Picture of Irith Herman
תשובה ל: Re: problems using gradebook in moodle2

Is there any posibility to add an option for viewing the grade report as it was in Moodle 1.9?

I mean  to set a page scroller?

Thanks

Irith

Picture of Bob Puffer
Re: תשובה ל: Re: problems using gradebook in moodle2

If this is directed at me (as its a reply to my posting) I'm not sure I understand -- the very nature of the LAE grader report is scrolling, vertically and horizontally without losing either the student columns or the grade item headers.

Picture of Jon Africa

Is there a reason why your plugin is not with all of the other plugins? Until I stumbled onto this post, I assumed you stopped supporting it after 1.9. It would be more comfortable for our school to use something with full documentation, etc. but your tool is really important and I wish it (or some of the features) were directly implemented into Moodle Core, but at least if it were a part of the list of regular plugins. Thanks.

Picture of Michael Woods

Hi Chrissy,

You can tweak the teacher role to remove the 'See full user identity in lists' permission. This will stop the email address from showing in the gradebook.

Regards,
Michael

Picture of Donna Panasiewicz

As a new moodle user, I especially agree.  It is very user unfriendly and difficult to navigate and understand.

Picture of Stephen Livesey

Completely agree with all the frustrations outlined above. I would also add that the student view (User  Report) is in need of attention too.

We have quite a few assignments per module, each of which receives lengthy feedback from tutors. This results in scroll of death for students which is not pretty. 

Picture of Kevin Brown

For Moodle 2.2.2 I found a way to add a dropdown list of the sections/weeks of a course on the "Grader report" (Gradebook) page and then display only the Gradebook items for the selected section/week. The main advantage of this approach is that little or no horizontal scrolling is needed to use the Gradebook when the Teacher is grading just one section/week at a time.

This uses one of the data structures already built in the Gradebook code to determine which section/week is associated with a grade item and which CSS class is used for its column of the Gradebook display. It filters the display of Gradebook items for the selected section/week by applying (1) the YUI hide() function to all cells that should not display and (2) the YUI show() function to all cells that should display.

There are limitations to the current version of my code:

(1) A course with many "manual" Gradebook items, which are not associated with any section/week, would not benefit much from this mechanism. Instead, one would need to display the entire Gradebook rather than just the items for a selected section/week to grade the "manual" items.

(2) This is _not_ implemented as a separate plug-in, but instead changes some of the core Moodle code directly. It will require maintenance each time we upgrade to a newer version of Moodle.

(3) The current version of the code assumes that the option "Static students column" ("grade_report_fixedstudents") is checked at: "Site administration > Grades & Attendance > Report settings > Gradebook". This option ensures that Gradebook displays the student name in a fixed column on the left while the other Gradebook items to the right can scroll horizontally. If that checkbox is not checked, the code will not select the correct CSS classes to hide and show.

(4) There may be other course variations that it does not support, even if it supports all the courses on my Moodle site. For another example of how different course settings can affect the code, the data structure for a Gradebook containing multiple categories differs from the data structure for a Gradebook containing only one category, so the code handles those cases separately.

If this sounds like a useful approach toward making the Gradebook more user-friendly, I will clean up my code so that it is less embarrassing and everyone will be welcome to it. The patch files still total less than 200 lines, so it is not a large amount of code.

paula

In my gradebook in Moodle 2.2, there is a feature when I allow my mouse to stop over a grade cell, a small pop window comes up that lists the student name and the name of the graded activity.  Just wondering if this is something inherent to Moodle or if it's something my provider thought up.  Helps with the scrolling problem as I can see where I am by putting the mouse over any grade cell.

Paula Clough cool

PS  I did find it in the documentation at http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Gradebook  as well as the row and column highlighting that I use to stay on track.

Picture of Joyce Twing

Hello, Everyone --

This post is an attempt to help prevent a mass outburst of swearing and yelling to those who try to use the Gradebook in Moodle 2.

The scroll bar in the Gradebook in Moodle 1.9 was at the bottom of the browser.  It is now at the bottom of the Gradebook.  If you have more than a dozen students, you can't see the scroll bar and the top column of the Gradebook (categories and grade items) on the same screen.  If you are someone who -- like me -- enters all your categories and grade items when you create the class, it will be impossible to find a particular grade item when you use the scroll bar, but can't see the top column.  It makes you want to poke yourself right in both eyes with a sharp stick in about 30 seconds of trying to find a particular grade item.

Yesterday -- entirely by accident -- I figured out how to navigate the Gradebook without any need to use the scroll bar.  Simply go to the top column where you have entered your categories and grade items and click in an empty area in that top column.  Once you have done that, the back arrow and the forward arrow will allow you to navigate anywhere through the items in that column.  If you don't click in the column first, the arrows won't work. When the arrows do work, there is no need to use the scroll bar.  It is like magic!

Hope this helps!

Joyce Twing
Vermont Technical College
Randolph Center, Vermont

Picture of Bob Puffer

I'd again suggest LAE Grader, used by schools all over the world.  Our location is changed as it is packaged with the CLAMP LAE version of Moodle so you'd:

1. get the latest LAE versions of Moodle at CLAMP
  2. extract grade/report/laegrader
  3. place in your moodle instance
  4. run notifications
Picture of bobby demers

I just installed the LAE Grader and had no problems installing it for 2.7.2 . smile Looks great and the colours really make it easier to find the separate topic areas.

But.... I appear to be the only person that can see it!

I've checked with a teacher and a manager logged in and neither one of them can see it (I'm the admin).

Any ideas?

Regards

bobby