Calculated: How to edit the first unit other than multiplier = 1?

Calculated: How to edit the first unit other than multiplier = 1?

by Tim Lovett -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle does not allow edit of the first (top) unit. Is there any big advantage in having edit of this first unit disabled? I'm trying hard to think of one.

This means in a unit pull-down, the correct unit sits conspicuously at the top of the list - a no brainer for the student, and an unfortunate limitation.

Why can this first unit not be made edittable (other than multiplier=1)?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Lovett

Re: Calculated: How to edit the first unit other than multiplier = 1?

by Pierre Pichet -

I will investigate further as your good response is not necessarily with the unit == 1 and set a bug in the tracker if necessary.

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Pierre Pichet -

You are rigth, as the grading assume that the correct response is using unit multiplier == 1.

I will set a bug tonight (actuel local time 11h45AM) or tomorrow.

Pierre

P.S.  Is there any big advantage in having edit of this first unit disabled? At least one: we don't have to test if it there is a unit set to one and we can use unit[0] as the unit in the good response.

by Pierre Pichet -

Oups, my first response was not the complete one.blush

If your response is say 10 cm but you allow use of m and mm with the corresponding multiplier then

10cm or 0,01 m or 100 mm are good responses and should receive the full grade.

So your objection that cm (multiplier == 1) should be the first choice allowed has no consequence for the grading or is not a cue to the "good" unit as all 3 are good.

We however could and probably should improve the good response rendering.

Pierre

by Pierre Pichet -

I need to rebuild the truth table with the actual 2,2 options to give a more complete response.

So tomorrow.

Pierre

by Tim Lovett -

Hi Piere;

My thinking was to allow a selection list as unit pull-down - Like this...

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=199454

Another helpful thing would be a "bad unit" label. (Instead of my multiplier 9999999999 - which was a bit of a rough solution).

But most importantly I want the student to SELECT the appropriate unit from a list, without it sitting conspicuously at the top of the list. (I can do it in imported XML, but not in manual "live" edit)

by Tim Lovett -

Hmmm, I would have thought Moodle only has to check for the selected unit & multiplier. Which would mean Moodle needs only check once:

does (student's answer) == unit[i]* multiplier[i]

where i=selected unit.

There could even be situations where there are more than 1 correct unit with multiplier=1. (Such as impulse in Ns or kgm/s^2... both with multiplier=1).

But the question is... why enforce the multiplier=1 unit to sit at the top of the list at unit[0]?

(or visa versa: Why enforce unit[0] multiplier to be = 1)?

In reply to Tim Lovett

by Pierre Pichet -

why enforce the multiplier=1

I could say that this is for convenience as you don't have to check that there is at least one unit with 1 as coefficient.

I did not check all the code to see if it can handle correctly a non == 1 unit[0].

Pierre