Removing 'Discuss this Topic' for Site News

Removing 'Discuss this Topic' for Site News

by Dallas Ray Smetter -
Number of replies: 9

We've adopted Moodle for good. My supervisor, however, does not want the 'Discuss this Topic' for Site News to be displayed at all. Can I easily do this without modifying core Moodle scripts?

See at http://itech.stisd.net

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dallas Ray Smetter

Re: Removing 'Discuss this Topic' for Site News

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In the forum settings for that forum, turn off replies.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dallas Ray Smetter

by Steve Hyndman -

Just set the forum to "no discussions and no replies", then it will be a "read only" forum.

Steve

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I thought I would resurrect this very old topic as it explains exactly what I wish to do - I have a Moodle with "discuss this topic" on the site news for guests which is very confusing. I have seen there is a tracker issue out on it here MDL-39942 - so in the meantime I need a workaround. I am going to look in the language files locally and see if I can fix it but if anyone has already fixed this , please speak before my teddy/rubber duck doessmile (I am out for a couple of hours meditating so who knows; maybe the meditation will bring its own resolution....)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hmmm..well removing the words in the local language files isn't going to work because then nobody in any other forum inside Moodle is going to see "discuss this topic" I only want it removed for non-logged in users on the front page. Back to the drawing board (and rubber duck..)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for a workaround of this? Site news on the front page must stay and be visible to guests but the only way I can think of to remove will also remove the option for any other forums in Moodle.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This looks like it is just a bug. The site news is failing to do a necessary capability check. You need to bribe a developer to fix it for you.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -

Actually,my old school need  to bribe somebody not me - they've had parents trying to log in and reply to the news items on the front page here and don't understand why they can't http://www.olchs.lancs.sch.uk/moodle24/

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kevin Wiliarty -

Possible temporary workaround -- add this CSS to your theme

.path-site .forumpost .link {
    displaynone;
}

Or wrap it in style tags and add it to the additional HTML in the admin settings