Batch course enrollment using Moodle interface

Batch course enrollment using Moodle interface

by John D. Black -
Number of replies: 5

I’m an administrator with virtually no Linux skills. It’s easy for me to use a csv file to enroll batches of students in Moodle and assign them to courses. I do this directly in the Moodle interface, without logging on the server. But apparently, once students are enrolled in Moodle, I have to assign them to additional courses manually, one at a time. The csv file no longer works. As far as I can tell, none of the available methods for batch enrollment (flat file, external database, LDAP, etc.) work directly from the Moodle interface.

For students already enrolled in Moodle, is there a way to batch assign them to courses directly in the Moodle interface? If not, should there be?

Version 2.1.1 LAMP

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John D. Black

Re: Batch course enrollment using Moodle interface

by Hittesh Ahuja -

no i think running a script is the only option to bulk enrol them to courses. running the script is not that tough, just browse to the php file using "cd" on the cli and run the script using php myphpscript.php -v 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hittesh Ahuja

by John D. Black -

I couldn't find any issues in the Tracker so I created one:

Batch course enrollment from Moodle environment

I hope it gets some votes. You shouldn't have to know Linux to accomplish this basic requirement.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Why do you think the csv file no longer works after they have been enrolled once? We use a csv file to enrol students each  year into their next year courses and even though they are already on our Moodle they still get enrolled into their new courses. How do you mean that it doesn't work?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by John D. Black -

Mary - As you so helpfully pointed out in the Tracker, the solution is simply to choose "Update Existing Users" in the Upload Users Preview screen.

Thanks!

by Bernd Albers -

Hi

That's a very interesting feature.

Which userfields do I have to include in the CSV file to enroll students in additional courses?

I guess its:

username, email, course1, course2,...

Can I also use this method for users who originally enrolled into Moodle by E-Mail authentification?

Regards Bernd