Is there anyone in the Chicago area interested in starting a meetup?
I'm definitely not close enough for regular meetings Chet ... but I will be in Chicago in mid-July for a few days before heading to the Moodle Moot in Goshen. If you have a meeting around that time and I can fit it in...
There are a number of Moodle users in the Chicago area. As Stuart mentioned, the Midwest Moodle Moot is a good place to start. Stuart will be the keynote presenter at this year's Moot.
What do you have in mind for a 'meetup'?
Thanks for the link Floyd, I'll definately sign-up for this.
My initial thoughts around the meetup would be a monthly meeting covering pretty much any facets of Moodle from administration, development, teaching, etc. that people wanted to focus on.
I've heard there is a decent sized community of Moodlers here in Chicago, but they seem to be a quiet : ) bunch. Being familiar with Moodle, but new to the community, I was hoping to start getting a bit better connected to everyone.
Chet, I'm very interested in monthly or bi-monthly meetings in the Chicago area. Here are a couple suggestions:
1. For years I have been involved with SLATE, a Chicago area Blackboard user's group. My involvement started back when the institution I was at used Blackboard. That institution moved to Moodle, but I still attended SLATE meetings as the only Moodle user. Now, several SLATE members use Moodle and the focus of group is changing. One approach would be to ask SLATE if we could start a Moodle SIG - that would be interesting. We could then possibly piggy-back on SLATE meetings and meet in the afternoon. The advantage is that SLATE is a fairly large, well-organized group. All this takes on a different twist with Blackboard's recent acquisition of Moodlerooms. Hmmmmm, there are interesting possibilities here.
2. You could just start a Moodle group and meet periodically. I work with several Moodle clients in the Chicago area and think they might be interested in regular meetings. I do a lot of work with Moodle and would be interested in leading some tutorials or talking about Moodle features.
Let's keep this thread alive. Would you want me to inquire about a SLATE SIG?
I'm fairly new to Chicago-Land - Only been here since August.
I would love to have a Moodle Meet up - I work in Elk Grove I will keep an eye on this thread as things develop.
Glad to meet you all
I'm new to the group and Moodle. Definitely interested in meetups in the Chicago area and in Wisconsin. Keep me posted.
I've put some feelers out and it may be able to procure a space for us downtown Chicago on either the Monday or Tuesday, July 23rd or 24th before the Midwest MoodleMoot.
If there is interest in getting started prior to that, let me know andI'll move forward with setting something up next month.
Taking time to go to Chicago (2 hrs travel each way for me) might be difficult the week of the Moot. Tuesday of that week is out. Monday is a slight possibility.
I'm game to meet earlier. I'm booked through late April and my schedule can change very quickly (e.g. get a several day booking added). But, I'm open to try something in May or June. There is a very good possibility I'll be in Chicago June 20 with another appt. scheduled for 10a-1p CT.
When you decide on a time/place, I'll contact some Chicago area Moodle users I know.
Just wondering if you all met up in July and if you have any plans in the future?
I'm not aware of any meeting in July, but I have another option. As I mentioned earlier, there is an educational technology group, SLATE, that meets monthly in the Chicago area. Several SLATE members are Moodle users and we plan to start a Special Interest Group (SIG) focused on Moodle. I've been a member of SLATE for many years and currently serve on the SLATE Board.
I invite any/all Moodle users in the Chicago area to join us in for the November and December meetings (and subsequent meetings!). November will be the first Moodle SIG meeting. The format will be a SLATE meeting where we discuss some general topic related to online education or training. That is usually 10am - 12noon. We then have a box lunch (provided by the hosting instutition) when we will have the SIG meetings (approx 12noon - 1 or 2p). Check out the website, at http://www.slategroup.org/home
November 14 meeting: Moraine Valley Community College: General Topic: Writing It Down: The 'P' Word (Policies) You Don't Talk About. This will also be the first Moodle SIG meeting.
December 19 meeting: Chicago State University: General Topic: Using e-Portfolios in an Integrative Environment. I'll be talking about Mahara. It is also the SLATE Christmas meeting with a 'white elephant' gift exchange. This will be our second Moodle SIG meeting.
I'd love to have as many Moodle folks as possible. You do not have to represent a university - I am an indepent eLearning consultant.
Please let me know if you are interested in attending the November or December meeting. I'll get you on the mailing list and stay in contact with you.
Greetings, Moodlers. Below is the announcement of this month's Chicago SLATE meeting at which we will form the SLATE Moodle SIG (Special Interest Group). We would like to have a good representation of Chicago area Moodle users at the meeting.
- There is no charge to attend the meeting and have lunch. There is a free lunch at SLATE meetings!
- Let Ken Sadowski and/or me know if you plan to attend the meeting. This is important for those who plan for lunch. Please send an email to: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- The first part of the meeting will be from 10am-12n. The topic will be LMS policies. The Moodle SIG meeting will be from 12n to about 1:00 or 1:30p.
- Feel free to email or call me if you have questions: email@example.com 574-349-5275.
- Pass this on to other Moodler users who might be interested in a Chicago area Moodle group.
From: Ken Sadowski <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Subject: November SLATE meeting reminder
This is the a reminder that the November SLATE meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 14th beginning at 10:00am and hosted by Moraine Valley Community College. So that Moraine Valley CC is able to prepare for our visit, please RSVP back to me by Monday, November 12th with the names of those that will be attending from your institution. Feel free to share this information with other, including faculty, that may be interested in this topic. We will be meeting in Building M in rooms M202/M204. Additional information below. Look forward to seeing you there.
Writing it Down: The "P" Word (Policies) You Don't Talk About - As systems, services, expectations, and confidentiality concerns increase, what policies and procedures do you have in place to handle questions and inquiries related to: who has access to a course site and for how long; who owns the materials on the course site; how long do course sites remain active for students; when and how often are courses sites backed up; who can request a course site - and I am sure many, many more questions like these are discussed on your campus every day. In this open discussion, please share how you and your campus address these issues or what questions you are currently struggling with. The hope is to come up with a document that we can compose and share on the SLATE site for others to reference.
NOTE: If your are unable to attend in person - the monthly SLATE meetings are streamed live using Blackboard Collaborate.
To participate, visit: http://live.slategroup.org/ and enter your name to login. Streaming will begin at approximately at 9:55am
ADDITIONAL ITEMS OF NOTE
- the newly formed Moodle SIG will meet during lunch for anyone who is interested
- SLATE Conference follow-up. Conference evaluation now available. Please complete if you haven't done so already
- Who can host a monthly meeting in 2013. Also topics that we would like to discuss. The next ten-years
- Continued discussions on forming additional SIG's (special interest groups)
Additional information for, Travel Directions, a Campus Map, and a map of Building M.
MVCC is requesting some parking spots be reserved outside the M building. We will let you know once that has been confirmed.
The second Chicago area Moodle Meeting will take place at Chicago State University on December 19, 2012. See the attached document for details. You may contact me directly at email@example.com