Hosting via Amazon Web Services and the new Elastic Bean Stalk for PHP 5.3

Hosting via Amazon Web Services and the new Elastic Bean Stalk for PHP 5.3

by Chris Megahan -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers

Just curious if anyone else is working on implementing or migrating to the new EBS for PHP 5.3 that Amazon announced yesterday. Today I sucessfully did a test migration to EBS with a RDS My-SQL server. It was virtually painless and with the added benifits and savings of spot instances it appears to be a easy decision. I'll be posting a full tutorial and review in a week or so.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Megahan

Re: Hosting via Amazon Web Services and the new Elastic Bean Stalk for PHP 5.3

by Cathal O'Riordan -

I haven't explored Amazon Elastic Beanstalk fully yet, but it looks promising. I'd be really interested to hear how you get on migrating Moodle to it.

Here's another PaaS service that could be used for Moodle hosting:
http://www.engineyard.com/products/orchestra

cheers,
Cathal.

Waterford Institute of Technology,
Ireland.
http://www.wit.ie

In reply to Cathal O'Riordan

by Chris Megahan -

Benchmarking today... everything is looking good. I haven't been able to get anything to fall over yet. Just spinning up new instances as needed and the RDS is chugging along flawlessly. Will post my results when I complete.

by Matt Stenson -

I will be very interested in hearing about the result of your tests. Are you running on mysql for your db?

In reply to Matt Stenson

by Chris Megahan -

Sidetracked on the tests with a little project but I can tell you initial testing is showing great results. I am using RDS My-SQL server... so Amazon's hosted My-SQL rather than runnig the entire stack on board.

by Moodle Ninja -

To use the Elastic Beanstalk in its true sense, the major hurdle in Moodle is the data directory (ex: /var/moodledata)

Once that is seperated from the installation, you could truly use AWS Beanstalk to scale the moodle app.

I have flirted with NFS for the moodledata, but sometimes the connections timeout.

by Frank B -

Yes, the moodledata dir is what worries me. If I understand it correctly when you upload an updated zip file to update the moodle version you are creating a new environment, therefore your files go with old environment. Which is not something you want. Unless they figure out how to attach an EBS store or S3 as an environment path, it's not going to be feasible for us.