Live testing and deploying plugins

Live testing and deploying plugins

by Darcy Christ -
Number of replies: 3

How do you all deal with live testing plugins in a large Moodle site?

It would be extremely useful if we could limit a plugin to a given context (ie. category, a few courses), so that it could be tested on the live server with real people.

Certainly new plugins need to be tested in a sandboxed environment first, but ultimate testing requires real people and real data. Does anyone have any interesting approaches to this? As far as I know, Moodle does not offer an ability to limit a plugin by context, like how you can constrain a Filter by context.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Darcy Christ

Re: Live testing and deploying plugins

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Darcy,

Tim's module security improvements planned for Moodle 2.3 would help with testing new modules. Please see the specification document for details http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Module_security_improvements.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Darcy Christ -

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the link. I saw mention of this during the developer's meeting and thought that it might offer a solution to this problem. That would be great if it was availabled for 2.3. My University is rolling out Moodle in a big way and we need to evolve quickly and safely.

In reply to Darcy Christ

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, this discussion is very timely. Just seconds ago MDL-19125 was marked as testing passed. So this will definitely be in Moodle 2.3.

Of  course, this only deals with modules. There are many other types of plugin that cannot be controlled to the same level of detail, but then for many other types of plugin, this level of detailed control is not necessary.