Can you grade a Chat?

Can you grade a Chat?

by Jacqui Riding -
Number of replies: 11

Hi

We are using chat as an teaching tool to have students interact on the fly. We schedule a day/time and the class gets together to discuss a topic.

Is there a way to grade this automatically in Moodle? Even if it was for attendance only?

Thanks for your time.

Jacqui

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jacqui Riding

Re: Can you grade a Chat?

by Jacqui Riding -

Just to add to this - I found a way to manually include our chats in the Gradebook and manually grade them, but still would love to know if Moodle can do this automatically.

by Mohamed alam -

i also want to know about the chat grading

In reply to Mohamed alam

by Jacqui Riding -

Hi Mohamed

I ended up creating them manually in the gradebook.  This means the facilitator for our course will need to grade them but it's better than nothing.

Would still like to know if Moodle can do this automatically.

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

The answer is no. How would Moodle grade a chat? How would it know whether a student's contribution to the chat was worth points or not?

It is the same reason that Moodle cannot automatically grade essays for you.

In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

by Sarah Hasanloo Nikfar -

Hi,

How do I grade in Moodle?

• Grades can be created in each activity(include chat!!!!!) in a course which are then added to the Gradebook. For example, grades in Assignment (all types), Quiz and Workshop activities are automatically added to Gradebook. In some activities you will have to turn grading on, such as ratings 'on' in Forum, Glossary and Database to send them to the Gradebook. You can also use the gradebook to adjust, assign or automatically scale an activity grade in your course. There are many opportunities to exchange feedback on many activities, not just grades.

but i don't know how grade to chat!!!!!!! sad

source: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/About_Moodle_FAQ

In reply to Sarah Hasanloo Nikfar

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Helllo there. I have changed the documentation to clarify things a bit if you look at the link again. Basically while there is no inbuilt way to grade a chat you can make a grade item in the gradebook and use that to grade the chat.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Hi,

' There are many opportunities to exchange feedback on many activities, not just grades.'

What does mean 'opportunities ' in this sentence??? Because I find just  'outcome','text feedback','grade' to exchange feedback  to students.I need to know what (all of them) I can exchange as afeedback(grade or outcome or ...) to the student.

source:http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/About_Moodle_FAQ--->How do I grade in Moodle?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. I have tried to make the wording simpler in that FAQ but I am sorry  I'm not too sure what you mean in the other part of your question. Where are you seeing these words?

In reply to Mary Cooch

woooooooooow,

thanks a lot for immediate response.wink

you understand my question correctly and I get my answer from you.smile

Excuse me for poor English.

by Mary Cooch -

You are welcome! It's always better to use shorter words instead of longer phrases.