Disappearing blocks

Disappearing blocks

by Jeremy Schweitzer -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Somehow two blocks were added to one of the category pages and I can't figure out how.

When I turn editing on (using admin account) the blocks disappear. When I turn editing off they're back. Neither of these blocks support the feature to click on the number of instances and see the courses they're attached to, but I need to remove them. Hopefully I can also figure out who added them in the first place.

Any ideas? We're using Moodle 2.1.4+ 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeremy Schweitzer

Re: Disappearing blocks

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Do these blocks have title headers? Could they be HTML blocks?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jeremy Schweitzer -

No, it's one instance of the Activities block and one instance of the Course List block. We don't use the Activities block anywhere on the site, so I've just hidden it site wide (not a great long term solution), but the Course list we do use, so I don't want to hide it completely yet. 

Before hiding the Activities block I went through every  course in that category and did not find the block in any of the courses - which is weird since I would have thought to appear on only that category page it must have been added to a course in that category. 

I've attached two screenshots - one with editing turned off (blocks visible) and one with editing turned on (blocks have disappeared).

editing off

editing on

In reply to Jeremy Schweitzer

by Jeremy Schweitzer -

This might not be a permanent solution, but since we don't really use most of these blocks I went ahead and deleted them from the database and reinstalled them. Then I hid the ones that we don't use and restored the ones that we do to the three locations that we needed them. 

I did not figure out the underlying cause. I double checked permissions and it looks like only a few people should have been capable of causing the problem (and they all need those permissions) and none of them think they did it. I'll keep an eye on it and if it recurrs, we'll look into it some more.