[GSoC 2012] Email reminders for Calendar Events

[GSoC 2012] Email reminders for Calendar Events

by Isuru Madushanka Weerarathna -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I am an undergraduate student of University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, and I am really interested to participate in GSoC 2012 under Moodle since I have several experiences regarding Moodle development as well. There are two projects which I would like to take from the ideas page, but I know I can only work for one thing.

Anyway, I would like to work on the idea of Email reminders for calendar events which is already described in MDL-1329. The reason I like to take this is, this would be really important thing which I also would like to see in our university Moodle site. (http://lms.uom.lk) I have already contacted with the assigned mentor for this idea, Michael de Raadt, and I have already looked up on some of the references he has given to me at the contacting moment.

Any ideas which can add for this project, are very welcome.

-Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Isuru Madushanka Weerarathna

Re: [GSoC 2012] Email reminders for Calendar Events

by Danny Wahl -

I think that maybe instead of "email" you could try using "messaging" service and plug it into the current private message framework, then a user can determine whether or not they get messages in-moodle or via email.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Isuru Madushanka Weerarathna -

Hi Daniel,

Sure it will be. I just used 'Email' word here because of the title of the project is said so. I have studied about the messaging API and actual implementation will be supported for any kind of messaging type in the moodle and it would be configurable and extendable for future usage too. Also, when I contacted with Michael he told me that it would be about creating a messaging interface as well.

So, you are right. Then I think the title should be changed in proper way, if I am correct.

-Thanks

by Serg Tolpygin -

Better use RSS for Events notyfication than e-mail. And make it as block.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Isuru,

That's great - it will be good to see this in Moodle core. I've recently implemented a form of this for my institution. We also included notification of recent changes (based on the Recent Activity block). We've taken the approach of sending an e-mail either:
* 7 days before an event; or
* if event details have changed for any event in the 7 day window; or
* if any changes have been made to the course.

If any of the above match, then an e-mail is sent out with all data, but additions and changes are highlighted.

You may want to consider:
* frequency of e-mails
* formatting of the HTML e-mails
* merging the recent activity e-mail in with this (though this might not suit everyone)

Good luck!

Andrew
Average of ratings: Useful (1)