sound in Sequitur (text toys)

sound in Sequitur (text toys)

by henny jellema -
Number of replies: 21
Beste Gordon, Glenys,

I wonder if it is possible to put soundfiles in Sequitur like this:
http://www.digischool.nl/oefenen/hennyjellema/engels/comprehension/anansi/anansi.02.htm
and use them in Moodle.
When I upload this file in Moodle the playbuttons are not visible. In the 'normal' Potatoes it always does.
Is there something I should do to get it working?
I'm using Quizport for it in Moodle, since that is so fantastic with Sequitur in geberal.

Glenys, I know you are quite fond of Sequitur. Did you ever use it the way I do in my example?

Hgv, Henny
Average of ratings: -
In reply to henny jellema

Re: sound in Sequitur (text toys)

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

> Is there something I should do to get it working?

1. try removing the spaces from before the file names
    • OLD: TheSound= part.13.mp3
    • NEW: TheSound=part.13.mp3

2. OR try using absolute URLs for both the media files and the media player instead of relative urls

3. OTHERWISE please upload the quiz and its audio files and player to my server so we can look at it together:

Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by henny jellema -

Dag Gordon,
It's really a miracle how quick you are with reactions. Thank you first for that!

Then maybe you have seen that I uploaded the file to your site

It shows the soundbuttons, but not the right ones. I need the hbs_mp3_player2_1px_narrow slider.swf from Martin Holmes. Or the hbs_mp3_player3.swf would do as well.

Hgv, Henny

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Hennyn

I had a look at your exercise which, as usual, is delightful and pedagogically useful (no, I've never done WebSequiturs like that but now I will) and compared the code we're using to insert the players. I'm sure you do the same as me and just paste in code you copied years ago from Martin Holmes and other clever, techie people. I understand a little of it but far from all.

I compared the code I use and yours. The only significant difference I can see is that you don't have a  <a href="xxx.mp3">xxx.mp3</a> line in yours. See below.

If that doesn't help, you'll have to wait for the Master.

Cheers,
Glenys

Attachment 2012-03-18_23-23-53.jpg
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Henny,
ths first step is to remove the spaces from the file name.

Change this: "TheSound= part.13.mp3"
To this: "TheSound=part.13.mp3"

Notice that the space between "=" and "part" must be removed. This is important. You must remove the spaces.

Change all similar instances of "TheSound= part", to "TheSound=part". (i.e. remove all the spaces in every swf and mp3 file name)

If you want to keep your own player, then set the "Use media player" setting on the QuizPort "Updating: Quiz" page to "None". (see screenshot)

regards
Gordon

Attachment henny.mediafilter.png

by henny jellema -
Beste Gordon,
Excuses for that space in the code. That was stupid. I know for ages that that not should be done.
But also without spaces I don't get the player visible. Theremarkable thing is that in our Quizport not is that option media-filter. I pressed buttons 'advanced modus, but nothing of the kind.
I'll attach a screenshot to show you what I see.

Hgv, Henny
Attachment mediafilter.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -

Henny,
your screenshot shows the page to add/update a QuizPort activity. That is not the correct page. The page you need is the page to add/update a QuizPort quiz.

I think you understand the idea that a QuizPort activity is made up of several QuizPort quizzes. Well, the mediafilter setting is on the page to add/update a QuizPort quiz. You can get to this page several ways:

• from the course page, click the link to view the QuizPort activity, then click the "Preview" tab to view the QuizPort quiz, and click on the edit icon next to the quiz's title
  • from the course page, click the link to view the QuizPort activity,then click the "Edit Quizzes" tab, and click the dit icon next to the quiz

> But also without spaces I don't get the player visible.

Very well. I will investigate.

Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

> But also without spaces I don't get the player visible.

As well as removing the spaces, you must also set the "Use media filter" setting (on the page to add/update a QuizPort quiz) to "None". Did you do that?

For reference, I have attached a copy of the html file for this quiz, with the spaces removed from the mp3 file names.

There were also several other instances of unusual spacing. These do not prevent the display of the players, but for the sake of consistency, I suggest you normalize spacing in all of the following

• data="hbs_mp3_player2_1px_narrow slider.swf "
    remove space before final "
  • style="vertical-align: bottom;"type="
    insert space after "vertical-align: bottom;"
  • name="src"value="hbs_mp3_player2_1px_narrow slider.swf "
    insert space after "src"
  • name="data"value="hbs_mp3_player2_1px_narrow slider.swf "
    insert space after "data"
  • value="hbs_mp3_player2_1px_narrow slider.swf "
  • name="movie"value="hbs_mp3_player2_1px_narrow slider.swf "
    insert space after "movie"
  • name="loop"value="false"
    insert space after "loop"
  • name="quality"value="high"
    insert space after "quality"
  • "/>
    insert space between " and /

Gordon

by henny jellema -
Beste Gordon,

I found this 'edit quizzes' icon and I think I did all the necessary actions.
See screenshot.

But after that I didn't get the media-filter button in the 'normal' page.

Hgv, Henny
Attachment quizport.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -

Henny,
your screenshot shows the "Edit quizzes" page, now you need to take the next step and click the edit icon  next to the quiz.

If you click that edit icon, you will be taken to the page where you can set the "Use media filter" setting to "None". Once you have done that, you media players will display.

Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Henny,
I made a video just for you - actually it is my very first YouTube video! My voice sounds a bit gloomy and is rather faint, but hopefully it is enough for you to follow along and see how to change the settings.

Enjoy!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon,

Congratulations on your first video tutorial!

I didn't find your voice gloomy at all.

What tool did you use to create the Flash video?

Cheers,

Glenys

PS: For Henny: I think you read French, so here's a PDF tutorial. Most of it's stuff you already know but I find I sometimes forget just one little thing, and then nothing works! surprise So I have lots of these tutorials I write to remind myself. I'm willing to share them: they're all in a public Dropbox file here: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/Tutoriels%20Moodle I'm afraid they're not very well organised as I didn't originally intend them for other people.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Glenys,
thanks for the feedback! I made the video tutorials with Camtasia 2 (for Mac). It was very easy to use: vlick the record button, babble away, upload to YouTube.

The PDF tutoial is very good quality - nice work! Unfortunately, the link you gave to the DropBox folder will take people to their own "home" folder, which is not what we want. According to the DropBox "How to use your public folder" document (see attached file), these are the instructions for getting the URL of a sharable file:

• Step 1:
    Drop a file into the Public folder.
  • Step 2:
    Right-click/control-click this file, then choose Dropbox > Copy Public Link. This copies the Internet link to your file so that you can paste it somewhere else.

Seems like you can only share individual files though - not the whole folder sad

Here's a proposed solution for sharing everything in your DropBox public folder with the world:

cheers
Gordon

by henny jellema -
Gordon!
How ever can I make this up with you!
A whole field of tulips or so? It's the season you know.
I'm going to study this video very detailed and send it also to my systemmanager for Moodle.
Thank you very much!

Hgv, Henny

by henny jellema -
By the way..

I agree with Glenys that your voice doesn't sound gloomy at all.
As a matter of fact it sounds rather charming - smile

Hgv, Henny

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Henny,
thank you so much for the flowers and the kind words - a great start to my day!

Best of luck with the media players!
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Glenys,
FYI, I don' t think you need the "<br />" just before the final <a> tag.

Also, if you are showing the exercise in QuizPort, you don't need the <object> tags at all, you can use the square bracket notation, thus:

• [01.mp3 hbs]

Or if Henny likes the thin line player, I suggest the "dyer" adaptation (thanks Bernard!) of the HBS player:

• [01.mp3 dyer]

and then set "Use media filter" to "QuizPort media filter".

regards
Gordon

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon and Henny,

I don't know why the <br /> tag is there - I must have put it there some time for some reason. Anyway it doesn't stop the code from functioning.

I know I can use your clever square bracket notation on Moodle, but as I also publish some of my exercises outside of Moodle I prefer a non-Moodle-dependant option.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Gordon Bateson -

> <br /> ... doesn't stop the code from functioning.

That is true, but depending on the browser, it may introduce an unexpected newline in the page layout, so given the choice of leaving it in or taking it out, I suggest it is taken out.

> as I also publish some of my exercises outside of Moodle
> I prefer a non-Moodle-dependant option.

Good point.

Gordon

by henny jellema -
What is the Dyer adaption?
I know Bernard Dyer from the hot potatoes forum. He has helped me a lot in the past. But I never heard of his player.
Hgv, Henny

Bernard Dyer, soundfiles

by henny jellema -
Beste Bernard,

Excuse me.
All these HBS-players you designed after Martin Holmes started with the first one. I totally forgot it was you who did that. And one of Birgit Ferran, didn't she?
It's such a long time ago. But ....
My students still do the exercises you and you wife made the sounds for! And that I remember quite well!! every time when we hear it.

Hgv, Henny