Critique of Moodle install script?

Critique of Moodle install script?

لە لایەن Tom Parker -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

I'm hoping this falls under the banner of Advocacy...

I have created an auto-installer for Moodle over at EC2Scripts, and I was wondering if there are any more options I should enable/set on behalf of the user. Someone told me the drag-n-drop upload plugin is great, so I'm thinking of adding that by default.

You can see the script here: http://ec2scripts.com/welcome/plugin_wiki/page/recipe/9

Thanks in advance for any feedback/critiques. The script is only short and heavily commented, so it should make sense.

Regs,
Tom 

تێکرایى نمرەپێدراوەکان: -
In reply to Tom Parker

Re: Critique of Moodle install script?

لە لایەن Piero Fornoni -

Hi, Tom

Thanks for your script. I think that it was urgently needed .

I installed Moodle on 3 computers ,one with Windows os. and 2 with Ubuntu 11.10.

While with Windows os  was very easy using the link at  MS website , with Ubuntu os. it took several hours .

I hope that your script help to install Moodle on Ubuntu os.

In reply to Piero Fornoni

لە لایەن Colin Fraser -
وێنەی Documentation writers وێنەی Testers

And here lies the drama, one size does not fit all. Even between distros of Linux there can be substantial differences in how things are setup. This is something that needs to be sorted by the Linux community.

And Piero, even on Ubuntu, it should not take "hours" if you have your server, php and database setup properly, it should just slide in. I find the hardest part of installing anything on Windows OS is avoiding security measures that would prevent me excerting control of the computer I own or run. It seems the assumption from the Dark Side is that as a User, I have no idea what I am doing as I want to get around "security" put in place for my "benefit". How about letting me decide what I want to do? How about installable modules and discussions about what those modules do? Let me chose?     

تێکرایى نمرەپێدراوەکان:Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

لە لایەن Piero Fornoni -

Hi,Colin

What I want to say is that I wish it was so easy to install on Unbuntu os as it is on Windows os.

I specify that I installed all Moodle as stand alone  .

I agree with you that the user should decide as much as feasible , how , when and which modules to install .

Piero

In reply to Piero Fornoni

لە لایەن Mihir J -

Hi Tom,

can you please help how do I use or test your script.

I could understand the coding and comments but how should I use it say in my laptop or in any hosting server

Thanks!

In reply to Mihir J

لە لایەن Tom Parker -
Hi M,

All the scripts on EC2scripts.com are designed to be pasted into the User Data area of a new Amazon Linux server, but this script should run on any CentOS, Fedora or Red Hat RHEL computer.

To do that, you should copy the script into a text file called moodle.sh then type:

chmod +x moodle.sh

sudo ./moodle.sh

At the command prompt.

I am still working on a script for Ubuntu/Debian.

Cheers,
Tom