Auto creation of categories and subcategories for External Database Plugin

Auto creation of categories and subcategories for External Database Plugin

by Hittesh Ahuja -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would have a step by step solution to patch the External DB plugin so that it gets the course category and sub categories from the external DB table and creates new ones based on it. 

I have seen solutions such as "uploadcourse.php" and Inaki's patch (http://orodruin.escomposlinux.org/~iarenaza/moodle/enrol_db_refactor/enrol_db_refactor_files_for_19/) but have no clue on how to use / apply it to my current moodle installation.

Also would like to know if I somehow manage to upload the cats and sub-cats from the external DB, would Moodle check for this everytime i run the php sync file from CLI or during login?

Im new to Moodle and any help will be highly appreciated.

BTW,Im using MSSQL to connect to my SQL server to get the external data.Also that works really good for creating of new courses automatically.Using Moodle 2.2

Thanks, 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hittesh Ahuja

Re: Auto creation of categories and subcategories for External Database Plugin

by Stephen Poynter -

Did you ever find a solution to this?  We are using Inaki's plugin on our 1.9 server and really miss the auto-creation of categories in 2.3.x.  I would appreciate any updates or help anyone could provide.

In reply to Hittesh Ahuja

by Chad Bergeron -

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I've upgraded a school to 2.3, and they'd used Inaki's patch before, and would really like to reautomate this piece.

In reply to Chad Bergeron

by Aharon Ben-Shemer -

I am also looking for a Moodle 2 version of this plugin.

Looking in the code in the 1,9 version I cannot tell if it would be VERY dificult or just SOMEWHAT dificult to get this to work in Moodle 2, probbaly beyond my abililties, anyway. wink

Aharon

In reply to Aharon Ben-Shemer

by Aharon Ben-Shemer -

I was not clear enough, I think. What I meant was that I am looking for a version of Inaki's "refactor" plugin that can work with Moodle 2 and do a deep copy from an existing course template of all blocks and all other content, etc. -- not just the category information.