Suprising Forum Subscription options: 'Yes Initially' missing.

Suprising Forum Subscription options: 'Yes Initially' missing.

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 5

I'm in Moodle 2.2.2 (Build: 20120312)

I was suprised to see these as options for subscriptions:

The "Yes Initially" option is missing.

The docs http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Forum_settings#Subscription_mode referring to "Yes, initially"

No setting found here: /admin/settings.php?section=modsettingforum

Has the wording changed?  I think I have missed something.

-Derek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Suprising Forum Subscription options: 'Yes Initially' missing.

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hello Derek

The screen shot which you have seen on this link of forum module

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Forum_settings#Subscription_mode

is of Moodle 1.9.It has not been updated for Moodle 2.x.

Nothing is missing, now options are changed in Moodle 2.x.  You can read the options properties by clicking on the help link icon.

Re: Suprising Forum Subscription options: 'Yes Initially' missing - now 'Auto subscription'???

by Teresa Gibbison -

I noticed this also Derek - and the documentation does not reflect these new options.  Edit: I would contribute to the docs wiki with the inline help but I'm concerned it is not accurate...  Following is the explanation in the inline help however "Auto subscription" doesn't appear to behave as expected - which is where I used to use 'Yes, initially'...

Edit: I've had a user complain that the Auto subscribe does not behave as expected but after testing this afternoon, it appears to be working well!!!  

Edit (Add): I created a forum with 'Auto subscription' in a course with 8 users (just to be sure the user's profiles didn't have any effect I tested this with three users who had ''No: don't automatically subscribe me to forums' as the auto-subscribe profile field with the others having 'Yes: when I post, subscribe me to that forum in their profile).  ALL users were subscribed to the forum immediately after I created it smile 

Therefore Derek I suggest you use 'Auto subscription' as your Yes initially option smile

Edit: Has anyone else had issues with Auto subscription not subscribing everyone initially?

Cheers
Teresa 

Inline help :

There are 4 subscription mode options:

• Optional subscription - Participants can choose whether to be subscribed

• Forced subscription - Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe

• Auto subscription - Everyone is subscribed initially but can choose to unsubscribe at any time

• Subscription disabled - Subscriptions are not allowed

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

Re: Suprising Forum Subscription options: 'Yes Initially' missing - now 'Auto subscription'???

by Teresa Gibbison -

More testing!!  I have found an issue was related to changing a forum with 'Optional subscription' to 'Auto subscription'... and the subscribers not being updated. Here are my findings:

Forum created with Who is subscribed Is this expected?
Optional subscription Nobody Yes - they can 'opt-in'
Auto subscription Everyone Yes - they can 'opt-out'
Forced subscription Everyone Yes - obviously!
Disabled Nobody Yes - obviously!

But... create an Optional subscription forum then change the mode, this is what happens:

Forum created with Who is NOW subscribed Is this expected?
Auto subscription Nobody No!! - you are even told 'Everyone is now subscribed to this forum'
Forced subscription Everyone Yes - you are told 'Everyone is now subscribed to this forum' and they are
Disabled Nobody Yes

then create a Forced subscription forum then change the mode, this is what happens:

Forum created with Who is NOW subscribed Is this expected?
Auto subscription Nobody No!! - you are even told 'Everyone is now subscribed to this forum'
Optional subscription Nobody Yes - they need to opt-in
Disabled Nobody Yes

I've created MDL-32125 for this.

Cheers
Teresa 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Derek Chirnside -

Teresa, an astounding piece of detective work, I admire your persistence and attention to detail.  I knew there was something else happening.  I don't know if I could have figured this out.

-Derek

by Teresa Gibbison -

You see MDL-32125 now has a 2.2 patch thanks to Kanika Goyal.  

Cheers
Teresa