missed versus excused grade items

missed versus excused grade items

by Russell Wyeth -
Number of replies: 0

Hi,

Moodle version: 1.9

I have a larger class (300+ students) with several weekly quizzes.  Several students usually miss the quizzes for various reasons, most of which are not valid excuses, and thus they should receive zero for the quiz.  However, often there are one or 2 students have illnesses or other good excuses, and thus I would like to exclude thoses quizes for those students from their grade calculation.

The only way I know how to do this right now is to go through the grade table and convert the unexcused missed grades to 0, and then tick 'aggregate only non-empty grades'.  That is far more labour intensive than the inverse process, which would to go through and flag the excused missed quizes as excluded from the grade calculation, and then untick 'aggregate only non-empty grades' so that the missed quizes are counted as zero, with the few exceptions I flag.

Is there a way to do this within Moodle?  I can do it with a download/upload cycle through excel and some calculations, but I'd also prefer to avoid that.

Thanks,

Russell