Proper Way to Add a User Level Repository

Proper Way to Add a User Level Repository

by Joshua Bragg -
Number of replies: 3

I'm running 2.2.1

I'm trying to set up a user level repository.  I am a teacher running my own installation.  I have two accounts set up, my teacher account and my manager account.  I don't use my manager account on a regular basis since it makes things much cleaner.  I'd like to try to set up a user level file system repository for the teacher account.  I've tried to add a user level repository for the teacher account from my manager account and get an error message that this not allowed.

"You can not view/edit repository instances of another user"  and get a link to http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/error/repository/notyourinstances.

So my first question is why can't a manager add a repository for another user?  Isn't this the point of the manager?

Next, based on http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-28656 I gave my teacher account the moodle/site:config to try to allow it to add a private instance but I still get a message saying that I don't have permission to do that..  I added my teacher account to the manager role temporarily and that got me the same error message.  I can do it if I make my teacher account a full site administrator.  That seems like a really poor choice in a large site.  Its fine for me but it would be horrible idea for most people.

What am I doing wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joshua Bragg

Re: Proper Way to Add a User Level Repository

by Jan Bartsch -

Concerning the first problem: I get the same error as an administrator. For me, it is also not comprehensible, why this shouldn't be allowed?? (Theoretical i could create the "link" to the repository in the database or login as the other user...)

Did I misunderstand something?

In reply to Jan Bartsch

Re: Proper Way to Add a User Level Repository

by Joshua Bragg -

No I think you and I see it the same way.  The site admin should be able to create a user level repository for a someone else.  No one other than a site admin is likely to have the server access required to create the folder in the first place.