Moodledata problem

Moodledata problem

by eda karacelebi -
Number of replies: 9

hello, I am installing the moodle for the first time and I am really new and need very clear instruction. There is a moodle 1.9.16 version installed on my server by Godaddy. Now, I created a new subfolder in my server and start to install moodle 2.2 in it. So now I have two moodle in different folders. I read the instructions about moodle data but I didn't understand it clearly. In my old moodle (which is installed by godaddy) there is a moodledata directory including many subfolders and .htaccess file. But in the new moodle (which I am installing now) there isn't any moodledata directory. So should I create a folder and name it moodledata?? than Should I put the .htaccess file in it? Then the rest? Will other subfolders be created by themself when I upload files to moodle?

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to eda karacelebi

Re: Moodledata problem

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Eda,

Yes, you must create another, named differently, moodle data folder, like moodledata2.

If possible, this folder should be located outside of the web root directory (I think it's html in GoDaddy):

/home/content/a/b/c/abc/moodledata2

Either way, it's always best to have the .htaccess file in it.

You also need to have another, also named differenty, database.

Yes, then do the rest, moodledata subfolders will be automatically created, as so will the database tables.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

Ynt: Re: Moodledata problem

by eda karacelebi -

Thank you so much Guillermo. I now finished the installing. It was the first time for me and I am very happy to see the installation finished succesfuly. But now I have another question:

Now I am reading about security issues. There is a recommendation :

• Register globals MUST be disabled!
This will help prevent against possible XSS problems in third-party scripts.

What is this? How can I disabled register globals? could you please help me again?

Re: Ynt: Re: Moodledata problem

by Guillermo Madero -

Congrats! smile

For this you need to open your php.ini file, search for the register_globals parameter, and set it to "Off" or "0" (zero):

register_globals = Off

The server needs to be restarted after this (you should always restart your server after making any modification to php.ini).

The php.ini file should be under your php main folder, for example, c:\wamp\php\php5.3.5\php.ini

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Moodledata problem

by eda karacelebi -

thank you so much. I cheched my php.ini and it is OK. BUT I have some problems in my new moodle installation. It is anormally tooo slow and when I do something(for example click on login) generally it gives error "internet explorer can not display this page" and then when I refresh, I can continue. But I think it is not normal. What can be the reason?

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Moodledata problem

by Guillermo Madero -

Is it only you or all the participants report the same thing? Some time antivirus programs tend to slow down everything. It could also be some browser configuration or maybe a server configuration.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/internet-explorer-cannot-display-the-webpage/c8a0b157-820a-4a14-80f3-806ab51717fa

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Moodledata problem

by eda karacelebi -

I discovered two yellow thing in my site administration>server>environment part. They are about php extension xmlrpc and intl. The reports are:

1. Intl extension is used to improve internationalization support, such as locale aware sorting.
  2. The xmlrpc extension is needed for hub communication, and useful for web services and Moodle networking

What should I do for these errors? Maybe the site is so slow because of these errors?

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Moodledata problem

by eda karacelebi -

I have two different version of moodle in one server. are these problems about this? One moodle is 1.9.16 version, the other is 2.2.1 version.

I am trying to attach folder, file and link in a course. But when I click on them, it says "No input file specified. " then when I click on again, they opens.. Very interesting.. I suppose I have very big problems in the installation..sad

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Moodledata problem

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi,

Well, if you have lots of users logged at each installation, this could definetely be a factor, depending on the characteristics of your server (e.g. memory, processor speed, bandwidth).

By the way, as you have two installations on the same server, you definetely need to set a unique cookie-prefix at each installation:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Session_handling

Take into account, however, that you should preferably do this at night, as changing the cookie-prefix value ends all current sessions (everyone will be logged-off), including your own.

About the "no input file specified", does it happen in both installations or only in M2.2.1? You might want to take a look at:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=197652#p861829

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=197710#p861980

Mh, about the problems in the installation, maybe so or maybe not, it would be difficult to tell.