Replacement for the present "higher education" system...

Replacement for the present "higher education" system...

by copy cat -
Number of replies: 29

(please forgive the moodle explanation. I have posted this in different places, some   of which are not as familiar with moodle)

Imagine a system of education, supported by direct donation and advertising, where you could get the equivalent of a college education at little or no cost to you.  I'll go over some of the resources and then give a framework of how the whole system should work.

Resources:

-moodle is a free, open source, online education platform into which it is possible to plug in educational modules. It runs on a webserver with php and sql. I think there are also installations for running it standalone on windows and mac.  With this, someone should be able to take these classes without a teacher, either on a website, or by downloading the modules to their computer. This makes education available (such as at library computers) and relatively cheap. 

-there are already many open source moodle modules available, and they are relatively easy to create.

(note: the system does not have to be moodle, but moodle already has a large following, so it might be easier to implement.)

-there are already several private industry certification agencies which charge for testing an individual's knowledge of particular subjects (A+, etc). These agencies rely on their reputation for accurately representing that knowledge through certifying these individuals. If they are lax in their testing, their reputation suffers, and they lose money or go out of business.

-the private sector needs intelligent, educated individuals with marketable knowledge and skills. If the individual with these has a 4 figure education debt, instead of a 6 figure debt they can afford to work for less, initially, until they gain experience and justify a higher salary from their employer. If businesses can be convinced to accept these certifications and give them the same (or more) "weight" as a university degree when hiring, the system becomes self-sustaining.

This system has 3 beneficial side effects. 

1. Nobody has to take the certification tests, so it is possible to get just the education part for free (no one can credibly argue against increasing the general education level).

2. The cost of a traditional college degree should go down, as the colleges compete for students.

3. No one is forced to take liberal arts classes that serve little or no purpose but indoctrination and padding of university coffers.

Framework:

I would suggest that anyone should be able to submit modules for the "university", but that the certification agencies choose which classes are covered in their certifications. These classes would become the "course" to follow to get the particular certification.  (e.g.   psychology, accounting, statistics, etc. could be part of an advertising certification)

Here is how the thing would work from the student's point of view:

Bob goes to the website, and either downloads the standalone package, or registers at the site. He goes to the site of one of the certification agencies, and sees that for an advertising certification, the agency recommends that he take a particular psychology course, any accounting course, one of 3 recommended statistics courses, a writing course, and a sociology course.  He finds the courses, signs up for them, and starts studying.  During his studies, he connects with his "classmates" through forums and chat rooms (this is an opportunity for students or businesses to make money tutoring).

An undetermined length of time later, Bob (after aceing the quizzes for his classes) goes to a testing facility run by the certification agency. There, he pays $1000 (or whatever price the test is)  and takes the test.  Assuming he passes the test, he then applies for a job where one of the requirements is an advertising degree, or certification from a list of reputable agencies. 

He gets and interview, and is able to get the job. He was as qualified as the other applicant who went to a traditional university, but he was able to accept a much lower salary, due to his lack of education debt.

------------------------

Sorry for the long post, but there was a lot to cover. 

What problems do you see with such a system?

How could these be overcome?

Whom can be contacted to get this plan in motion?

Comments are VERY welcome.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to copy cat

Re: Replacement for the present "higher education" system...

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

I'm looking forward to reading other Moodlers' responses to this proposition.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Dom London -

Sustainability (in a word)

If the pitch is to put a few HE's ou of business by providing a leaner more agile system, no problem, except that, aside from the number of valuable employer-desired qualifications that can be garnered through a wholly online, non human assessment, is very low, the bigger problem is cost of pedagogy against return.

If we take the say the four figure example as a test. If its much less than that, then you may have difficulty finding knowledge supply chains willing to invest in sufficiently robust, quality learning I.P. to provide the enriched distant learning provisions, and much more than that and you are back to a more trusted (old school) model (called a univeristy fee) whether foundation, BA or Masters (or Level 3,4,5 qualification)

If the proposition is to blend the test mentioned with human assessment then that four figure costs goes up even higher.

I'm not sure there's any great secret that providing "ad supported" or otherwise free (or even freemium) supported learning comes back to the same problem. Theres a finite cost of creation and a finite cost of assessment.

Those places that are exploring  less ambitious (but no less worthy goals) for example  MIT OWC Initiative or Stanford Itunes U have something to do this with. A $750million dollar endowement between them.

If you have the financial model, go for it. But Id recommend running the assessment and publishing costs by a publisher and a qualified examiner in your (unstated) subject area.

In reply to copy cat

by Gavin Henrick -

my gut reaction comment is who are you (anon account etc)?

That aside, salary being related to cost of education is not necessarily true. What salary you need is related to your cost of living, of which debt (for education or something else) is one part of it, and probably not the deciding factor.

So is the point getting cheap qualified labour for companies? or qualifications more cheaply?

If not all degree awarding bodies are treated equally, then in a similar degree, the actual grade and certification is only part of what the value of the education is, where it is from, who it was done with, what extras were done on the course, and I guess that list can go on and on - contribute to value.

Ironically, just because there is more competition does not mean that the cost of delivering a degree will go down. perhaps with less students it could go up as the base costs are the potentially the same and the only the easily removable scaling costs can be mitigated. A lecturer has the same salary and it still takes a room if he lectures 10 or 11 just less people paying for it so base cost could go up.

For the courses, you talk about open source courses, do you mean creative commons? http://creativecommons.org

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Gavin Henrick

by copy cat -

"my gut reaction comment is who are you (anon account etc)?"

A very private person.

"That aside, salary being related to cost of education is not necessarily true. What salary you need is related to your cost of living, of which debt (for education or something else) is one part of it, and probably not the deciding factor."

Granted, but having the equivalent of one house payment, instead of two (with a 6 figure education debt) can only increase the individual's range of potential employers, and therefore improve his bargaining position.

"So is the point getting cheap qualified labour for companies? or qualifications more cheaply?"

The point is to provide a way for private industry to support a low cost education as a potential precursor to a profitable business model.  I don't think that setting up such a system will be terribly expensive (no more than traditional advertising). It also creates a demand for the testing services which (assuming they make the tests a fair assessment of the testee's knowledge) they can provide at a profit. The fact that someone can take the courses and get the education without ever taking the certification tests is just icing on the cake. If the education is not free, the incentive to enter this particular market is diminished, and the business model fails. So, to answer your question, both, plus competing with the current system.

"If not all degree awarding bodies are treated equally, then in a similar degree, the actual grade and certification is only part of what the value of the education is, where it is from, who it was done with, what extras were done on the course, and I guess that list can go on and on - contribute to value."

This is where the reputation of the certification body comes in. Just as a degree from Harvard is given more weight than a similar degree from FlyByNight University, The certification agencies will work to build and keep a reputation for certifying only qualified applicants. Just as some businesses will not accept a degree from FlyByNight University, Participating businesses will advertise and list which certification agencies from which they will accept certifications. If a certification agency is lax in its testing, it will gain a reputation as a flybynight, and may be removed from these lists.

With regard to those things which contribute to the value of the degree or certification: In the end, the value of the education is the benefit (both "spiritual" and material) the the person derives from that education, regardless of the individual elements which make up that education. If a person values those extras, they are free to pursue whatever educational path affords them those things which they value.

"Ironically, just because there is more competition does not mean that the cost of delivering a degree will go down. perhaps with less students it could go up as the base costs are the potentially the same and the only the easily removable scaling costs can be mitigated. A lecturer has the same salary and it still takes a room if he lectures 10 or 11 just less people paying for it so base cost could go up."

True, this will potentially drive the less efficient educational institutions out of business. This increases the overall efficiency of the entire system, while still providing a low cost (or free) education for anyone who wants it.

"For the courses, you talk about open source courses, do you mean creative commons? http://creativecommons.org"

Yes, sorry, that is exactly what I mean. 

In reply to copy cat

by Matt Bury -

Mmm... I wonder who's going to bring up the efficiency vs. efficacy argument...

In reply to Matt Bury

by copy cat -

The consumers of the education are the ultimate judge of the effectiveness of that education. I am currently enrolled in online classes at a traditional college. The system they use is D2L, which, imho, makes it difficult for peers to collaborate.  Moodle is a freaking rock star, compared to that system. (please excuse the enthusiasm)  
At present, I prefer ground classes. If we used an easier system like moodle, I might prefer online classes, and find them more effective.

As to the efficiency, that is relatively easy to determine. If you can get the same level of education by expending fewer resources, then the system you are using is less efficient than it could be.

Perhaps the title should read "alternative" instead of replacement.    :\

In reply to copy cat

by Matt Bury -

Re: "The consumers of the education are the ultimate judge of the effectiveness of that education." - Consumers are very poor judges of that. We assume that because a certificate was issued by Harvard, for example, that it's of high value. Employers and prospective students rely, irrationally, on reputation. Most employers and students are not capable of evaluating the validity and accuracy of claims made by certificates and transcripts and so we have to leave it up to the experts, in the same way that banks rely on ratings agencies to assess the quality of investments.

Re: Testing and assessment, it's well worth researching "washback", i.e. the effects that different approaches to assessment have on learners and their learning. For undergraduate level and above, computer-marked exams rate somewhere around the bottom of the pile along with giving random marks and going purely by opinion. Typically, computer-marked tests are "true or false", multiple choice, multiple matching, short answer, etc. These are good for testing lower order thinking skills like remembering, understanding and applying. If you want to assess analytical and critical thinking and the ability to come up with creative solutions to problems, you'll need skilled human beings involved. You can only make a test as intelligent as the assessor and that's one of the things that takes expertise, time and money to establish and maintain. That's what some of your tuition fees are going towards on undergraduate courses and above.

Re: Collaborative learning - There's a bit more to collaborative learning than just providing forums and chat, and telling learners to get on with it. You may be interested in the work of Randy Garrison et al and Communities of Inquiry (CoI).

In reply to Matt Bury

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Having done a variety of training and qualifications both ways (both as a learner and as a deliverer) I would say that the model proposed is great - in a limited number of situations, but not as a degree replacement.

Examples -

A year or so ago I studied for the LPI (Linux Professional Institute) qualifications. Because of cost I chose to do this entirely self-taught through online and book resources and then to sit the exam only at an exam centre. It worked in that I now know stuff I didn't before and I passed a test - but I have no knowledge beyond what was in the books, I had no avenue to explore and discuss any of the background or to discuss the fact that the books (and the exams) were based on Linux versions that were a year or so old at a time when the system was (is) moving on so quickly that I wanted to discuss these issues with a tutor/other learners.

Currently I am doing some visiting lecturing on an Initial Teacher Training course. My feeling is there is no possible way that such a course - or many of the others at the University - could be replicated by a purely online delivery. The requirement for professional discussion, for research, for practical experience and for face-face tutor led working is so great. If this was run providing materials online, the need to provide a human presence on forums, chat etc would still be raising the delivery cost - possibly to an even greater level as in the University model the students can have face to face meetings with tutors during the day, an online model would leave many students expecting 24-7 online support and therefore the need for round the clock online human presence.

Also, in many degree level qualifications, the requirement, as pointed out by Matt, is not about rote learning where testing can be done by relatively simple online tests. It is about research, analysis, discussion, developing ideas and putting those forward. These are skills that, as far as I am aware, no computer can test you for - they need a discerning human being to look at the work, to discuss the work with, to give advice and feedback and in many cases to sit there and listen to an oral report/presentation of the work being done.

This does not make those degree level qualifications necessarily more relevant to the work place, more important or even of a higher standard. But it does mean that a degree qualification is different to many professional qualifications which concentrate much more on the doing a specific task according to the professional guidelines (but even then whose guidlines - consider the differences in Accounting practices between US/UK). While the latter may be served, and in some cases served very well, by the model suggested, my personal feeling would be that it does not substitute for a meaningful degree style qualification. I think you will find that in the UK, the closest model would be that of the OU who run their courses as distance learning, but who also provide a very significant level of human interaction and day/residential tutorial sessions as part of their most of their courses (anyone from the OU feel free to correct me - I've never taken an OU course, but this is the impression I have).

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by copy cat -

Good points, all.

Perhaps I should step back some and start with the question of how to deliver certain things:

1. a higher level of education, available to more people, at a very low cost (monetarily)

2. that this education be meaningful and valuable in a tangible way, both to the recipient, and to potential employers

3. that is non-coercive with regard to the resources going into the system, to the point that the ability to profit acts as an incentive to bear the costs of educating, not only actual, but potential customers.

Point one was the root concern of the project.  Point two is a greater incentive for participation. Point three is the incentive to maintain the system to support point one.

Any suggestions on this?

In reply to Matt Bury

by copy cat -

>"Consumers are very poor judges of that...so we have to leave it up to the experts.."

Experts in the particular fields, or someone who is risking resources on the effectiveness of the education?
What is the difference between Harvard and "HarvCert"  with regard to irrational reliance on reputation?

>"washback"
I had not thought of this.  I suppose even the fact of a test has an effect on a student's performance. The style of test has to have similar effects.

>"If you want to assess analytical and critical thinking and the ability to come up with creative solutions to problems, you'll need skilled human beings involved. "

This has to be true, but in my limited interaction with people with advanced degrees, they tend not to be most critical thinkers, or the best problem solvers.

There is nothing preventing the certification agencies from employing methods which test for these qualities as well as mastery of the subject material. Agencies which do, will probably have the most valuable certifications and be able to command a higher testing fee. Think of it like the BAR exam. doesn't matter how much you go to school, If you don't pass the exam, you don't practice law.

>"There's a bit more to collaborative learning than just providing forums and chat, and telling learners to get on with it."

Very true.
I had also imagined tutors picking up extra money helping students; a whole marketplace of extra, user-generated resources. Think of it like ebay for education.

I'll skim Garrison's paper.

I really appreciate your feedback on this (everyone's really). I have asked for problems and solutions, and everyone is delivering.

In reply to copy cat

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

While not a replacement for higher education completely, this does exist. I work at StraighterLine and we're aiming to achieve (and have to an extent) a lot of what you're suggesting (at least in the US).  

http://www.straighterline.com

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by copy cat -

Does anyone have access to the courses (without receiving credit)?

The price seems to be only slightly less than tuition at community colleges.

In reply to copy cat

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

All current content is licensed so access is only provided once enrolled.  

by copy cat -

Good business model if you can get colleges to accept the credits. It seems that they have little incentive to do so, as it represents direct competition. There is also the matter of government subsidies and government backed school loans.  I don't suppose your business qualifies for these, but I could be wrong.  I would also bet that your courses are at least as good, if not better than similar online courses offered by traditional colleges.

by ben reynolds -

That's cool. I met Burcke Smith when he was still at Smarthinking.com A very clever guy.

In reply to copy cat

by copy cat -

On a side note, Khan academy has done a wonderful thing with a maths course.  It goes from adding single digit numbers, all the way through calculus and beyond.  It is somewhat in the form of a game. If more subjects could be arranged like this, It would be awesome.

http://www.khanacademy.org/exercisedashboard

In reply to copy cat

by Joseph Thibault -

Agreed, Khan is doing some very cool stuff with the mapping of learning objects to videos and quiz questions.  

by Matt Bury -

Purely online learning that seems to do well is for "just in time learning" (JITL). They tend to be short courses on very specific topics, like Khan Academy, Adobe TV, Lynda.com, etc. Lots of computer operators, creative artists and even software developers use this stuff and it can be very helpful under the appropriate circumstances.

However, corporations often buy or commission short courses for switchboard operators, health and safety compliance training, forklift  training, etc. It's pretty much a case of buying or renting access to a bunch of pre-packed SCORM lessons with built in quizzes, usually created with MS PPT + some Flash based software to add quizzes and convert them into SCORM. It's very easy to churn out hundreds of packages and sell them at knock-down prices and the main objective is to save the company money by moving legally mandated training programmes to a cheaper delivery system - by all accounts they're not really that interested in the learning outcomes. They all claim that they're superior quality and have excellent results but I've yet to see any objective assessments of their efficacy. In my opinion, they're mostly elaborate short-term memory tests, and research commissioned by the US dept. of Education doesn't look encouraging for this kind of elearning.

Most universities are running elearning programmes of varying degrees of sophistication and some are actively engaged in developing effective, evidence based theories and strategies. If I haven't already said so on this thread, Moodle is built around the Social Constructivist (more Vygotski than Piaget) approach to learning and teaching and Activity Theory plays a strong role on how many of the core Moodle activities were designed. It's well worth looking into some of the ideas behind Moodle and ideas in progressive education.

In reply to Matt Bury

by copy cat -

That's the problem with "legally mandated training" as opposed to "useful skill training".

With legally mandated, the goal is "received training". With useful skills, it is "mastered the subject".

What are your thoughts on my "step back" post?  

In reply to copy cat

by Matt Bury -

Hi copy cat,

Re: the "step back" post, I'm currently participating in a massive open online course (MOOC) run by George Siemens and Stephen Downes out of the University of Manitoba. George Siemens recently wrote this blog post: http://www.elearnspace.org/blog/2012/02/28/the-best-learning-of-my-life/ which has some interesting insights to online participation in open online learning.

If the main purpose is to reduce fees to students without compromising the quality of the education they receive, I think the most promising avenue to explore are non-profit and government run programmes. Some would argue that north America, Europe, Australia, Japan, China, etc. have all done extra-ordinarily well through providing state-funded education.

The problem with relying on libertarian free market systems to provide education is that they focus on maximising returns for investors in the short term. Investors have no interest in the quality of the products and/or services that their investments produce, nor on their secondary and tertiary effects.

Education reaches far into the future, typically 11 - 18 years, and the different stages, primary school, secondary school, college and university, need to be centrally planned and co-ordinated so that the "ends join up". The effects of education also reach deep into society and culture, which are no less important, as well as the economy. Stakeholders include future employers, e.g. government departments, corporations, independent businesses, charities, NGOs, and overseas employers, as well as learners and their families, who want their education to lead them to a better life and a better life for others.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Matt Bury -

I read the article: http://chronicle.com/article/Burck-Smith/130918/

I think it ignores the fundamental market operators that go into pricing. Just because something's cheaper to produce, it doesn't mean that you should charge less for it. In fact, market competition mostly works by creating artificial scarecity (legal restrictions and regulation) and/or a surplus of demand (advertising). Pricing has little to do with supply costs. For example, look at telecommunications. They have some of the highest profit margins in the world and yet the infrastructure is pretty cheap to build and maintain.

In Europe, the EU legislates to maintain a surplus of supply by capping what network operators can charge for their services, therefore in order to make more money they have to deliver more services. So central planning and price fixing CAN work for consumers!

In contrast, in north America they have a laissez faire free market approach and network operators can charge whatever they like, i.e. "what the market will bear". As a result, they provide sub-par services at a high price. Why not charge twice as much for half the service and make four times the profit?

Ask any European who's recently moved to north America about the difference internet and mobile phone services.

My point is, if there's no incentive for schools, colleges and universities to reduce their fees, they won't. Why should they?

There's an article here on the subject of education fees, the factors and some possible solutions: http://www.alternet.org/education/153788/%24422%2C320_for_a_college_degree_with_tuition_skyrocketing%2C_it_is_time_to_rethink_higher_education?page=entire

In reply to copy cat

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Dear copy cat

Did you talk to Minister Gove on this?
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193617
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by copy cat -

Interesting thread, and associated article.  I had many of the same questions as you  about the content (or lack thereof) of the article.

I'm in the US, and was not familiar with Minister Grove (or calling government officials "Minister" for that matter).    

The more I read, the more I am impressed with the users of this site.

In reply to copy cat

Hi

Callng the elected head of a governmental department "Minister" is natural to me. Granted, I'm from the Commenwealth.
wink

I though that Swiss translate their term "Bundesrat" too as Minister. To my great surprise they have introduced another term: "Federal Councillor". See http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home.html. How about that?

Back to our Minister Gove, isn't it unfortunate that one associates him with Captain Grove, the tragic hero of the ship Esperanza? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gove#Haves_and_have_yachts.
smile

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Ministers

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I didn't think we (I am in the UK) called our MPs Ministers thoughtful Mr Gove, yes, andmany other names teachers call him behind his back, certainly (big grin) but not Minister. Mr Clegg, Mr Cameron, etc, but unless I haven't been paying attention (which I probably haven't as I am not political) not Minister.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Ministers

Hi Mary

Minister Gove or Mister Gove:
These are the kind of subtle points a non-native speaker like myself won't notice, Commenwealth or not!

I would argue, if there is a Ministry of Defence http://www.mod.uk/, there must be a minister around. If PM stands for Prime Minister, what is he the prime of?
smile

Or could the question of who owns the term 'Minister' be the modern battle line between the church and the (civil) government?

OK, let's agree to call this gentlemen Mr. Gove - officially, at least. The unofficial names must be more exciting, may be you can drop a URL by mistake which points to a page which happened to be infested with other links, ... you know?
wink