Change the name for "Topic"

Change the name for "Topic"

by Jonathan Rabson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

This is kind of a basic newbie question, but how do I change "Topic" to something else, like I want it to be called "Module"?  I went into "Language Customization" and followed the directions...It loaded the "check out strings," but then all it gave me was a place where I could search for strings, so I tried to search for "topic" or "Topic," but it didn't give me any results.

When I create a course, it lets me decide the names for certain roles, but where do I change "Topic" to be called "Module"?  There must be a simple way to do this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Rabson

Re: Change the name for "Topic"

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Which version of Moodle ? 1.9.x or 2.x?

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jonathan,

When you search for strings, did you select some components? I just tried selecting all components by clicking on moodle.php then holding down my shift button whilst scrolling to the last component and then clicking it. I then obtained lots of strings containing the word topic.

For further info, please see the documentation Language customization.

PS Suggestions for improving the interface to make it more user friendly are always welcome. smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Jonathan Rabson -

Sorry I never replied here.  I think when I posted this, I was having problems because the dark color makes it look like the components are already selected.  Making the default background white (or even having a box that shows a checkmark when selected) would make it more obvious that one has to select something first (or it could say "please select components").

As to interface suggestions, the dark color in administration is a slight usability problem overall.  After a recent update, I find that the background color on buttons for managing uploaded files is so dark, I can't read them without dragging with my mouse to reverse the color.  (I know that's a separate issue, but related.)  I know this can be changed by the user in the CSS, but something lighter as the default will be easier.

Thanks.