Students continuing a lesson in more than one session (2.1)

Re: Students continuing a lesson in more than one session (2.1)

by Geoff Hyde -
Number of replies: 1

I have experienced this same problem for many years, through many updates, including 2.6.2.

I saw an explanation several years back (I forget where) that led me to develop a trick that has worked ever since. It's annoying that it is still necessary, but much less annoying than dealing with students' frustration when the system does not do what it says it will.

As other people have noted on this thread, when a student clicks on "Yes" to return to where they left off a lesson, it returns them to their last question, BUT what people might not realise is ---

1. That question has to be one that is a non-essay type question (eg multiple choice), AND
  2. The student must have answered that question correctly.

So my workaround is to sprinkle multiple choice questions throughout the lesson of the type shown in my attachment. This is a multiple choice question with (apparently) only one option (Save!). This forces them to make, to Moodle's eyes at least, a correct answer. The student gets the response shown in the other screenshot.

After a student has answered such a question, when they choose to return to where they left off (after a log-off) they will be sent to the Lesson page immediately following that particular question.

If anyone knows of an easier way of doing this, I would of course love to hear it.

Cheers

Geoff

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 10.08.02 am.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 9.52.07 am.png
In reply to Geoff Hyde

Re: Students continuing a lesson in more than one session (2.1)

by Dominique Marshall -

I like this work around, Geoff. 

I have a question about the grading that happens with the continuation of a lesson. If students log off in the middle of a lesson, when they continue the lesson, are their previous answers saved and graded? That is, if they answered all questions correctly before logging off and answer all the questions correctly when they continue the lesson, is the grade reflecting those correct answers before they logged off? 

I believe what has me worried is the idea of the lesson needing to have retake set at yes in the settings. If Moodle is recognizing the continuation as a "retake," what is happening to those previous answers? 

Anyone able to help me understand? 

Thanks!

Dominique