Students continuing a lesson in more than one session (2.1)

Students continuing a lesson in more than one session (2.1)

napisao/la David Nash -
Number of replies: 12

I have started using the moodle lesson module in a secondary school environment and I have run into an annoyance for my students.  I set up a lesson with a reading passage and 15 question pages. Some of the students didn't get finished before the end of the class period and closed the browser.  The next day those students opened the moodle course and reopened the lesson. Although they were given the option to go to the last page seen and they clicked 'yes,' all of them had to answer all the questions from the beginning.

There isn't any fancy linking to the question pages, just 'next page' for the correct answer all the way through. I'm afraid I haven't put the settings right to allow the students to jump to the next unfinished question and I don't know what to change to allow them to do it.

Prosjek ocjena: -
In reply to David Nash

Re: Students continuing a lesson in more than one session (2.1)

napisao/la Joseph Rézeau -
Slika Core developers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Plugin developers Slika Testers Slika Translators

David "I set up a lesson with a reading passage and 15 question pages."

What type of questions are they? Are they graded? Is the lesson graded?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

napisao/la David Nash -

They are all multiple choice or short answer - none that need manual grading.  Each correct answer just jumps to the next page, no branches or clusters. Each wrong answer jumps to the same page so the students have to do it again until it is correct. The entire lesson  is graded. The grade options and flow control options are copied below.

Grade options
Practice lesson - No
Custom scoring - Yes
Re-takes allowed - No
Handling of re-takes - <greyed out>
Display ongoing score - Yes  <=== I changed this from our site default

Flow control
Allow student review - No
Provide option to try a question again - No
Maximum number of attempts - 1
Display default feedback - Yes    <=== I changed this from our site default
Progress bar - No
Display left menu - No

In reply to David Nash

napisao/la David Nash -

Wait.  I may have found the answer in the Lesson FAQ document:

Students are not returning to where they left the lesson

A student has left the lesson after looking at 10 pages. The next time they return to the lesson they start at the beginning again. How can the student return to the same place?

You have seen more than one page of this lesson already. Do you want to start at the last page you saw?

Several things must be met before this will happen. First make sure your lesson settings allow the student to retake the lesson and that this lesson is not a "practice" lesson. The important thing is that the above words are not exactly correct. They are correct only when the student left immediately after answering a question in a Lesson. For the purposes of returning to the same place, Lesson only remembers question pages as benchmarks. So lastly, make sure you have questions scattered in your Lesson for this feature to work and tell students.

TIPs: Use a content page at the start of the lesson as a table of contents, so the student are forced to remember where they are but can jump to your teaching points. Or put a question at the start or end of every "teaching point". And of course, you can tell your students how it is going to work.

I think this means that if I change the above setting "Re-takes allowed" to "Yes" then this will work.  I'll try this on the next class and see what happens.

In reply to David Nash

napisao/la David Nash -

Nope. I changed the settings on a lesson that some students hadn't finished and they still had to go through and answer them all again.

I'll try next week with a new lesson with these settings set before anyone attempts the lesson to see if that makes a difference.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be glad to hear it.

In reply to David Nash

Slika Core developers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Plugin developers Slika Testers Slika Translators

@David,

I confirm the bug. In moodle 2.1 I have set up a Lesson with 5 MCQ questions, Practice lesson No
Re-takes allowed Yes.

Logged in as student I take the lesson. Irrespective of the page where I log out/close my browser, upon returning to the lesson and selecting when to the question "You have seen more than one page of this lesson already. Do you want to start at the last page you saw?" I answer Yes, I am always taken to page 2 of the Lesson.

I will inquire and report here and in the tracker.

Joseph

EDIT.- Just checked to make sure, and the "start at last page you saw" behaviour works as expected in moodle 1.9, so the bug is a regression in Moodle 2.

@David,

I have found the source of the bug.

When a student re-tries an "unfinished" Lesson, moodle gets from its database a list of all the question pages visited by the student in the previous attempt.

In order to propose to the student to "start at the last page they saw", that list must of course be sorted in inverse chronological order, i.e. most recently visited page first. That "inverse chronological order" is correctly set in Moodle 1.9, but not in Moodle 2. Hence the bug.

Quick fix: in <yourmoodle>/mod/lesson/locallib.php, around line 1029, in:

public function get_attempts($retries, $correct=false, $pageid=null, $userid=null)

replace

return $DB->get_records('lesson_attempts', $params, 'timeseen ASC');

with

return $DB->get_records('lesson_attempts', $params, 'timeseen DESC');

This does solve the problem at hand, but I have not thoroughly tested so it might have adverse effects in other parts of the Lesson plugin, so use at own risk. If I can spare the time I will test most throroughly. In the meantime you can vote for my bug report MDL-31775.

Joseph

napisao/la David Nash -

Thank you. Our site administrator was following this discussion and made the change yesterday. I will test it i nthe class in the next few days.

In reply to David Nash

napisao/la Jerry Globe -

I use ver. 2.3 and have the same problem. Did your fix in the locallib.php fix the problem long term.

In reply to Jerry Globe

napisao/la Sarah Jane -

Hi there,

My students are experiencing the same problem. I have changed the code as per instructions but this has made no difference at all.

I confirm I have set the lesson to retakes.

Can anyone help please.

I am working in 2.5.3 moodle.

Sarah x

In reply to Sarah Jane

@Jerry and Sarah,

Bug MDL-31775 has been marked as fixed, presumably by the Moodle programmers.

If you are experiencing the same problem, do open a new issue in the bug tracker, providing FULL explanation so that the problem can be reproduced and remember to mention your moodle version too.

Joseph

In reply to David Nash

napisao/la Geoff Hyde -

I have experienced this same problem for many years, through many updates, including 2.6.2.

I saw an explanation several years back (I forget where) that led me to develop a trick that has worked ever since. It's annoying that it is still necessary, but much less annoying than dealing with students' frustration when the system does not do what it says it will.

As other people have noted on this thread, when a student clicks on "Yes" to return to where they left off a lesson, it returns them to their last question, BUT what people might not realise is ---

1. That question has to be one that is a non-essay type question (eg multiple choice), AND
  2. The student must have answered that question correctly.

So my workaround is to sprinkle multiple choice questions throughout the lesson of the type shown in my attachment. This is a multiple choice question with (apparently) only one option (Save!). This forces them to make, to Moodle's eyes at least, a correct answer. The student gets the response shown in the other screenshot.

After a student has answered such a question, when they choose to return to where they left off (after a log-off) they will be sent to the Lesson page immediately following that particular question.

If anyone knows of an easier way of doing this, I would of course love to hear it.

Cheers

Geoff

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 10.08.02 am.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 9.52.07 am.png
In reply to Geoff Hyde

napisao/la Dominique Marshall -

I like this work around, Geoff. 

I have a question about the grading that happens with the continuation of a lesson. If students log off in the middle of a lesson, when they continue the lesson, are their previous answers saved and graded? That is, if they answered all questions correctly before logging off and answer all the questions correctly when they continue the lesson, is the grade reflecting those correct answers before they logged off? 

I believe what has me worried is the idea of the lesson needing to have retake set at yes in the settings. If Moodle is recognizing the continuation as a "retake," what is happening to those previous answers? 

Anyone able to help me understand? 

Thanks!

Dominique