How to prevent user to access the course without unenroll?

How to prevent user to access the course without unenroll?

by Zoran Jančić -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I want to prevent certain students in accessing the particular scorm based course but without unenrollment so teacher can still access their grades. Is it possible in Moodle v2.0?

If it's not possible, then I have another question. Let's say I unenroll those students and after a while, I want to enroll them again in the same course. What happens whit their old grades? Will their old grades still be available in the grades modul after second enrollment or they will be empty?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zoran Jančić

Re: How to prevent user to access the course without unenroll?

by Zoran Jančić -

OK, I did some experimenting on v2.2 (because I don't have v2.0 at the moment) and found out the following:

• When a student is unenrolled, his grades are lost. When he is enrolled again in the same course, his gradebook is empty.
  • In v2.2 there is option to set students enrollment status to suspend. It prevents student to access the course but allows teacher to still access his grades. So in this scenario, grades are not deleted. Student's status can later be changed back to Active and he can use the course as before.

This suspending enrollment functionallity is exactly what I need but the question is how to do this for large group of students? Let's say that the semester is over and I want to prevent 200 students to access the course. How to suspend their enrollment status? Do I have to change one by one 200 times?

In reply to Zoran Jančić

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Zed,

You say "When a student is unenrolled, his grades are lost. When he is enrolled again in the same course, his gradebook is empty." however I just wanted to mention that there is a 'Recover user's old grades if possible' checkbox which you can tick when re-enrolling users. Please see the documentation Enrolled users for a screenshot.

Regarding bulk suspending of users, there is no UI for this, though if you have database access it could be done quite easily.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Zoran Jančić -

That's nice if you have to re-enroll few students but unusable if you have to re-enroll large number of students. I usually reenroll them through CSV import. Direct access to the database is OK for system administrators but not the best option for teachers and education managers.