forum mailing issues

forum mailing issues

by Danniel Fred -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

using moodle 2.0.2

forums are not sending new topic/ new replies to students subscribed to that forum (subscription method: forced subscription)

I followed posts u have made in forums, appears that cron job doesn't work autoamatically, when i used the path that ends with admin/cron.php then enter: it works, but?

1- how i can make sure that cron is sending AUTOMATICALLY?

2- I have found that emails are being rejected due to our server hosting limitation (150 emails per hour) so if this will send automatically i will not worry, but i am not sure if it sends, specially that nobody does recieves the emails even if i wait more than 30 minutes... what is the way to see if that works autoamatically or not? and a log for all emails being sent are probably the best to know what happend/happening.

3- how i can make the emails to be sent only in this case:

A - when new topic being added to a form (subscribers will be mailed) but not all replies

B - when reply is being made only if subscriber is contributed in that topic, otherwise no need to send an email to all students that X person is replying X topic!

4- how i can customze the emails are being sent from forums? i don't want full email message to be sent by email, i just want them to send like: Person X replied your forum post, to view or reply click here. (no need for the whole entier message in the email body!)

5- same for messaging, i just want emails as notifications so users are notified about forum posts/ their posts replied and messages that emails says: you have recieved a message click here to view.... and a new topic was added, to view/reply click here.........

thanks in advanced for your help guys, appreciated your valuable information in these forums community

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Danniel Fred

Re: forum mailing issues

by Danniel Fred -

nobody has solution for this please?

i have let the hosting company check the cron job and this is what we got, that our emails are only 150 per hour so it is obviously stucked,,

but doesn't this have to stay in the mail queue and send them the next hour and so on?

how we can reduce the number of emails sent in each batch?

here are the codes from logs of cron  PLEASE HELP

*/15 * * * * cd '/home/myUserName/moodle/admin/' ; php -q 'cron.php' > /dev/null ;

=======================================
Feb 23 17:53:01 server crond[6232]: (myUserName) CMD (cd '/home/public_html/moodle/admin/' ; php -q 'cron.php' > /dev/null ;)

In reply to Danniel Fred

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I don't know if this will help, but here is the line from my cron.

/usr/bin/wget -O - -q "http://rjerz.com/moodle/admin/cron.php" > /dev/null 2>&1

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Danniel Fred -

Thank you dude,

actually the cron is sending, as i can see in the send-from mail box that i created virtually to trace this issue, it is full of emails something like this:

message return to sender, it can't be delivered because exceeded sent limit 150 emails per hour and shwoes that our forum posts are there but can't be sent cz of this limitation in the server..

although we are working to go to another server and get emails sending issue free to send but until then we can't just go while one course is online now and wer having this issue!

so thats why, i still need to make the sending email in batches so to send 25 emails each time in 15 minutes, so it will be about 130 emails per hour? what you think? it might this way? or maybe modifying the cron to be each 1 hour then make the batch to be sent 140 emails per batch?

the other one which i think it will solve it also, is not to send to every one everything, as i explained the parent post in this forum post, in order to send fewer emails we need just to limit the emails to send per new forum posts and new replies that users are subscribe per that posts and not the entier forum..

any idea will help here,

thanks