Moodle end of life 1.9 plans

Moodle end of life 1.9 plans

by Nate Baxley -
Number of replies: 70

I'm curious what people are planning for their Moodle 1.9 installs with the looming June 2012 end of security patches.  I know that my institution still has courses that won't be able to be moved to 2.x because of some missing modules and functionality, and I'm sure there are others.  Do people plan to just keep running it, force their users over, do an upgrade and hope for the best?

There was some discussion in the forums about a non-MoodleHQ source posting security updates to 1.9, but that seems a bit too haphazard to rely on. The stats page is still showing the bulk of NEW sites are still choosing 1.9, so I wonder what that means.   June is right around the corner, so what's everyone planning?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Nate Baxley

Re: Moodle end of life 1.9 plans

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Nate,

I think the main reasons why people are sticking with or choosing 1.9 are that plugin modules aren't forwardly compatible, Moodle 2.x has much higher server requirements that many hosting providers don't meet (especially shared hosting), and the substantial changes to things like the file API that make previously possible file management strategies impossible or close to.

The EOL announcement looks a little contrived too. Moodle 1.9 lasted for a good few years and updates went in sub-increments, i.e. 1.9.1, 1.9.2, 1.9.3, etc. Moodle 2, on the other hand, after being years late, seems to have jumped ahead to Moodle 2.2 in just a few months. Shouldn't we still be at Moodle 2.0.2?

I bet that a lot of Moodle installations will stay on 1.9 simply because they have no other viable choice.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Mike Smith -

That's right.  We need Nanogong or a similar audio recorder to work - at least as well as it did/does in M1.9.  I see a worrying number of forum posts about Hot Potatoes issues in M2.x as well.

Although we're not constrained by IT policy/purchasing many Moodle users probably are, with their IT department not being particularly Moodle-aware or perhaps even e-learning aware.

The other thing is I really like the old file structure.  I can use M1.9 as an easy-to-understand and logical Content Management System mapped to physical folders in predictable locations - and in conjunction with FTP as the tool for file uploads - far preferable to PHP methods for uploading large files like 30 minute audio interviews and video media.  I can point FTP accounts to specific course folders.  I can use symbolic linking to share large file libraries to multiple courses (or meta courses if I prefer).

M 1.9 is reliable, mature and robust and works with all my plugins, especially Nanogong, Hot Potatoes and Flexpage.  I'm interested in adding some jQuery Visual just for niceties, and I'd like to be better at themeing, but I'm not short of pedagogical functions.

Anyway, I have years invested in familiarity with the system so I'm rarely surprised by M1.9, which I feel worried might not be true for M2.x.  For a shoestring budget e-learning micro-business I can't afford to muck about.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers,

Mike Smith,

Brisbane, Australia

In reply to Mike Smith

by Derek Chirnside -

Mike:

1. Hot Potatoes is in version 2.  See http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3439

I may add something to the docs: http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/HotPot_module_for_Moodle_2.0  Sorted I believe by the god guys in at Catalyst NZ, and fully implemented and atched in Moodle in Schools distro.

2 Nanogong.  in "Beta".  http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193756  If you Google, you will find this conversation scattered all over the forums here.  http://server3.moodle.com/browse/CONTRIB-2912  You have not voted for this yet!!

3. File structure.  There are a lot of discussions on this.  The world has changed.  It has caused the people I work with a LOT of angst, but MoodleHQ for better or worse has done this.  Won't change.  May improve around the edges, like out of the box links to a repository.
Re the FTP question, there is a solution to this.

4. Flexpage.  Yes Unsure.  http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Flexpage_format was deleted.  Comes from Moodlerooms for Intel of course, I don't now if it is available.  http://server3.moodle.com/browse/CONTRIB-2912 is a bit sparse.

But your message is clear.  However the writing is on the wall.  Maybe somone will help maintain (ie not develop) 1.9.  I would NOT like to see MoodleHQ resources go into this.  In many respects I have deep sympathy for you.  Moodle 2.0 core does lack some NAR essential things as standard, nothing that a small budget can fix.  I'd love to see the core fixed.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I was serious when I asked,

"Is there any possiblity of extending the life time of 1.9? How expensive would it be to assign somebody just to keep the security and critical bugs (if any) fixed?"

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193518#p843359
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Bob Puffer -

Very much in agreement here.  Considering how quickly there was a 2.1 release after the 2.0 release one might almost think it was a conspiracy to quickly put two separate releases out in front of 1.9 to give some denialability to EOL announcement on 1.9 (if one were given to "conspiracy theories" -- we all know conspiracies don't take place in software development).

In reply to Bob Puffer

by greg mushial -

Actually - isn't the rate of number change an artifact of a new policy, ie, the 2nd digit, ie, 2.1 to 2.2 is going to change approx every 6 months? I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I remember reading somewhere in these forums.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

it's not as simple as just assigning one person - a team of people are responsible for reviewing patches for inclusion in stable releases.....

also I think Martin has made himself clear on this issue:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193518#p845261

All changes made to stable release need:
someone to fix the bug
someone to peer-review the bug
Someone to submit the bug for integration
Integrator has to review the patch.
someone to throughly test the bug to make sure it doesn't avoid regressions.

of course - if you were willing to fund someone from HQ to do this you should touch base and offer $$$

by Mike Smith -

Thanks Derek for those links.  I'll monitor those.  I take your point about voting.

Cheers, Mike

In reply to Mike Smith

by Monica Bokos -

Hi Mike,

Do you use Nanogong in the WYSIWYG editor?

Thanks, Monica

In reply to Monica Bokos

by Mike Smith -

Hi Monica,

Yes, what I liked about Nanogong is the HTMLArea editor.  In conjunction with (most) text-editable areas of Moodle, this gives a very useful language capability to embed audio easily within texts.  We use it in conjunction with OUWiki (standard wiki doesn't allow it for some reason).  Teachers can set speaking tasks as model texts with embedded audio, then students can respond, then teachers can  give further guidance and feedback and so on.

Cheers,

Mike

In reply to Mike Smith

by Monica Bokos -

ok, I am asking because I have noticed that when you use Nanogong in HTML area, Moodle creates a file that is saved in course number one under nanogong_files. The problem is, when you delete the activity/resource that has this HTML area the file on the server is not deleted and when a lot of users record stuff you end up with a huge course number one and you have no easy way to find out which file is still used in Moodle and which is not.

So, how do you do it?

In reply to Monica Bokos

by Bob Puffer -

Is this pertinent to the topic of this discussion?

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Monica Bokos -

No, but since it was mentioned I really would like to know how someone else deals with this problem. And it is a very big problem...

In reply to Monica Bokos

by Gerard Arthus -

Moodle and the Illusion of 'Better"

I have not commented on this fiasco until now; the way I will deal with it is to stay on 1.9x version. I have all of the functionality which I need in version 1.9x and see no reason to change. I currently run multiple versions of 1.9x and 2.0.2 on my server and have to say that there is not much better concerning functionality that I see in the 2.x series. Once again, developers have succeeded in taking a good thing and corrupting it with unnecessary features and increased complexity. Much like the cell phone industry has done with the forced progression to smart-phones. I just want a phone, not an appliance. Most instructors need a simple to use web-assist course tool; not a Dreamweaver or Photoshop suite on steroids. The simple file-structure of 1.9x made it easy to coordinate the course materials with downloads and then considering backup size restrictions, it was easy to separate the files to reduce the size of the backup. All of this is out-of-the-window with 2.x. I think the developers have taken a lesson from Microsoft and Adobe. That is why I use Abiword and Gnumeric for my document and spreadsheet work. Tools are meant to make our lives easier. Moodle 2.x has only complicated the job of the instructor when it should have been making their job easier. 

The argument over hiding the edit features is a good example. Who cares how ‘cluttered’ the edit mode looked ... it got the job done. Time and resources spent on hover buttons and hiding features is lunacy. I like to see everything and having it in a consistent location is a plus when one’s time is being focused on doing the job and not having to re-learn and re-conceptualize an application. Unfortunately one college where I work will be forced to upgrade to Moodle 2.0; so I am seeing a good comparison with implementation and it is not a pretty picture. It is easy for developers to make arbitrary decisions when others have to suffer the consequences of their poor choices. The concept of ‘better’ has many nuances, but they should have been focusing on usability before they went hog-wild in developing eye-candy which does not optimize what the core-users requirements really are.

I appreciate all the work that has gone into developing Moodle, but the adoption of the current corrupt cultural beliefs which place how something looks over how it works will not make any application work better. How Moodle looks and how much eye-candy it has are low on my list of priorities; does it help me do my job better, that is the question and I think 2.x leaves much to be desired when compared to 1.9x.

Gerry

In reply to Gerard Arthus

by Derek Chirnside -

Welcome to Moodle.org Gerard.

There were actually quite a few good reasons to move on from 1.9 and why new things were needed.

We went to 2.0.1 with a live project very early on, and I guess I considered 2.0 as being more of an early release version.  You probabl;y should check out 2.2.  Things are moving.  Not quite in all the directions I personally see as good for Moodle, but some of them, and arguabley the critical ones.

As for your comments on eye candy, edit mode clutter.  There is a popular thread here on "One mans critical is another mans trivial".

Yes, you will need some increased machine/server limits specs. I've visited your site and I can see your dilemma here.

You will need to adjust your workflow.  But if you really are in the "We need to make Moodle work in the new version" you have come to the right place to get some help. 

Find the right forum, and ask specific questions and we will try to help.  But the world will move on (after Dec 2013 when catalystIT ceases their generous support for 1.9).  Try to ask about functionality/outcomes you need rather than "Why can't I just do it the old way?".

-Derek

by Gerard Arthus -

Derek,

My solution to knowing where my files are in 2.x will be to archive everything off-site. How does this make my job easier. The file structure is the problem, how do they fix that. As far as functionality, I do not need any more functionality, it works fine for my needs. The mark of a good application is that it can work fine for functionality with limited or simple resources and fine for a more complex set of resources. My idea of progress is not adding a ribbon to the taskbar like microsoft did with office and then moving everything around and making us learn where everything is again. I am not arguing that 2.x is not better than 1,9 concerning what it can do, only that functionality can be added without screwing up the entire workflow. I teach seven courses at two colleges during the current term, I need a set of tools which optimizes my time and resources, not one that makes my job more difficult. Why was there no consideration regarding workflow optimization when the design change took place from 1.9x to 2.x; that would have made more sense. This reminds me of Drupal and why many of us ended up switching to Wordpress. Drupal screwed up their workflow as it progressed while Wordpress has through modularization made things easier whle increasing functionality.  The key is to add the functionality without unnecessarily adding complexity to the user interface.  This was ignored, especially when we look at the 'edit clutter' fiasco. What really was wrong with the old edit mode, moving things around and hiding them under hover buttons will not make it better, but only more complex. No one sees that mode anyway, so how it looks should not be important, as a tool the premium should be on work-ability and the optimization of workflow, hiding edit features will help with neither.

Gerry

In reply to Nate Baxley

by Derek Chirnside -

I'm of the opinion that even with the new discussions on the future of Moodle.org http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=196302 that you shlould ask Helen ASAP to give you a dedicated forum for this.  It is a key issue.

It then could benefit from a note in the LinkedIn Moodle groups, the Facebook designers/admins group/page [which I will do if this new Moodle.org forum happens] and a few key forums here (like the lounge) say "Talk may potentially happen in the new forum".

Then you have at least a fighting chance of less wheel spinning.  We all know how dispersed conversations on this sort of topic can get on Moodle.org.

I've had the conversation several times "Functionality not ready, Moodle 2 unstable, slow, unoptimised" early in 2011, Now it is Just "Functionality not ready" but often there is a lack of clarity in this.  "What do you REALLY need in 2.0 that is not there or available?" Often it's a PD question as much as anythging.   More to my mind another important question is: how long it will take to get functionality ready to use in 2.0 that people use in 1.9?  There is no central lists, roadmaps, planning etc around this that I know of.  But I hope they will emerge after 1.9 dies in June.  Urgency focuses the mind.

You say "I wonder what this means" to the current downloading of 1.9 rather than 2.2.  I think this is obvious.

Good luck Nate.

-Derek

Refs: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=168021 with some posts pointing to http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Updates which has the one line "Official" view.

And maybe check out Tim's post in this discussion: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=168021#p737694 and see if this came to anything.   ???

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

and while we're on the subject - save IE 6!  evil
http://www.saveie6.com/

..ok, so Moodle 1.9 can't really be compared to IE 6... maybe Moodle 1.7 could but that's a different conversation.....

Moodle is provided "free" - support/updates/patches are provided "free" - can we really expect someone to provide "free" support for an old version? - I think we're lucky that so much free support comes from Moodle HQ already!!!

Moodle 1.9 won't "die" in June - it's a very stable release with a great featureset that many sites use and will likely continue to use for a while longer.

Of course those hosting their sites with Moodle Partners will likely have some form of support agreement in place - I expect a number of our clients will still on 1.9 for at least 18months and we'll be supporting our clients using it as will many other Moodle Partners and other volunteers in the community..... (although we'd love it if they all decided to upgrade to 2.x this year!)

Those still using 1.9 that have issues and want them fixed will have a number of options available to them - they just won't be able to get support from Moodle HQ or core devs fixing bugs upstream.
They will still be able to ask for support here in the moodle.org forums
They will be able to get commercial level support from most(if not all) Moodle Partners.
They will still have access to the code (it's open source!) to be able to fix any issues themselves.

Long live IE6! evil

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Derek Chirnside -

Hmmphh.  Not a fair comparison IMO, Dan, but point made.  I want you guys to forget about our beloved 1.9 ASAP and concentrate on fixing developing Moodle 2+.  After June (Or ASAP) I hope more people take the leap and contribute to the cause.  Roll on 3.0 RC1.

-Derek

Dan

> save IE 6!
> [...]
> Long live IE6!

That's a good one! Moodle 1.9 is IE6. Then Moodle 2.0 must be Vista!

2.2 is Windows 7 and the whole world is awaiting the dawn of Windows 8, I mean Moodle 2.3?

Take me Redomond, show me Steve!!

Derek

> I want you guys to forget about our beloved 1.9 ASAP and concentrate on fixing developing Moodle 2+. After June (Or ASAP) I hope more people take the leap and contribute to the cause. Roll on 3.0 RC1.

You omitted the <sarcasm> tag on purpose I guess. So did I.

by Bob Puffer -

Agreed... can we get Helen to chime into this very important conversation on availability of a separate forum?

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Dan Marsden -

really? - we have soo many forums and people already have a hard enough time figuring out which forum to post in.... If anything my preference would be less forums with improved tagging/searching...

Theres a discussion about the number of moodle.org forums and other moodle.org improvements here if anyone is interested:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=196302

In reply to Nate Baxley

by Matt Bury -

Well, if the file API won't change, then XML driven multimedia won't be natively supported by Moodle 2.x either. It's a pretty central concept to mixing and combining media files to create learning interactions. Unfortunately, nobody at Moodle HQ was able or willing to address this issue: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=189665

Newer versions of HTML (HTML5) and dedicated open source code libraries for JS, AS, Java, etc. are going to make decent support for XML + media a necessity (SMIL, MPEG-7, etc.), and combining multimedia is getting more, not less common. Uploading each individual file (Think in terms of 1000s of media files, indexed and referenced by multiple XML files in the same way that playlists work) into moodledata and copying the link is unworkable. We need to be able to develop locally and upload entire libraries via FTP and also be able to transfer multimedia activities from one course/installation/site to another without all the media links getting broken and having to manually reset them, one by one.

I'm disappointed.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Dan Marsden -

the File api can only improve though - I'm sure we'll eventually find an elegant solution for this at some point in the future - it's just going to take someone with the time/knowledge and/or funding for someones time to implement it.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Nate Baxley -

Dan I think you sum the situation up well.  At some point in the future, all of the little issues with M2 will be worked out.  The problem is that those issues prevent some of us from moving now and we see the potential for security holes getting through as a liability.

I can't wait to be rid of M1.9, you've served us well smile, and get totally on to M2.  As my former employer said, "It's all just a matter of time and money".  smile

In reply to Nate Baxley

by Matt Bury -

Just a thought,

I think a lot of individuals and small organisations depend on being able to run Moodle on shared hosting for smaller numbers of concurrent users. Are Moodle HQ in danger of rejecting/marginalising a broad base of independent Moodle users who don't have the funds or resources to support Moodle 2.x's higher operating requirements? Would it not be reasonable to continue to support 1.9 as a version of "Moodle lite"?

In reply to Matt Bury

by Dan Marsden -

are you offering time/money to do this? - Moodle 1.9 is pretty stable already - what sort of support are you suggesting? - the community support here in the forums won't stop, the Moodle partners will likely step up and fix any major security issues that arise for a while after "official" support stops....

In reply to Matt Bury

by Mike Smith -

Spot on Mat. 

They might even be considered different products purely based on M1.9 being suitable for the role you describe.  That would be a broad base of users indeed - perhaps more so given the likely number of unregistered installations (in my case of the five or so Moodles I run for myself and clients I've only bothered registering just the one). 

I've been an advocate to my clients of Moodle as an LMS on the basis of low support requirements (indeed low total cost of ownership) until their user base grows to large numbers.  For many small businesses their mature users base would always be in the dozens, not hundreds let alone thousands.  But there are many, many small businesses and organisations in this cohort.  They can't afford IT development after commisioning of a new web application like an LMS, they need something low risk that works predictably out of the box.  Known weakness are more manageable than unknown features.

Dropping M1.9 support altogether seems to be tied to the notion that take-up of M2.x would be hastened, thereby allowing the development effort to focus on just the one version.  Obviously resources are limited, but M1.9's functional core could be frozen and it would really only need security fixes from Moodle HQ.  Surely that can't be an unsurmountable challenge. 

Throw out 1.6 to 1.8 by all means.  They are the equivalents of IE6 if we want to run analogies.  A better analogy would be that M1.9 is like Windows XP - mature, reliable, low resource needs, well-understood and therefore low risk.  Yes it has bugs and shortcomings, but they are known and manageable.

Let M2.0 attract new users on its own merits in terms of better functionality.  I'll happliy migrate on that argument and take my clients along, but please don't force me and thousands of other loyal Moodlers to upgrade simply because of security patches ending for M1.9.  I suspect many won't do it if they risk degraded functionality or higher risk - and then you'll have Moodle's name being tarnished as an increasingly leaky web application.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mike Smith

by Matt Bury -

Mike,

Good point about reputation. There's also the danger of Moodle HQ being perceived as "riding roughshod" over its user base.

Has anyone taken any polls or done any surveys on the subject? Moodle HQ certainly has the means and the expertise at its disposal (I'm sure there are some expert poll designers around who could make it fair and balanced) to do a well designed, transparently run poll of the majority of users' points of view over the subject.

How about a little democracy?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Bit melodramatic isn't it Matt? If this line of thinking was prevalent, we would still be in the trees. "They" - the mysterious Illuminati, always make decisions that "we" the "poor, downtrodden, peepel", cannot understand, "we" question "their" judgement, "we" think "they" are insane to think "they" should do what "they" have done. Occam's razor dictates the simplest explanation is usually the right one, in this case I suggest there are three reasons why support for v1.9.x must stop: 

1: Money - the diversion of resources away from future development has to have a negative impact on the development process. This means skills invested in v1.9 on an ongoing basis are skills diverted down ever narrowing pathway - a self defeating process as it eventually means that you can have great skill in a product that few people really want anymore.  Ask any buggy-whip makers - a highly skilled occupation without demand. 

2: Expertise. Not only does the skill base narrow resourcing v1.9, there is also the risk of the internal technologies used in v1.9 being overrun by newer technologies. Look at the debates on YUI, Jquery, HTML5 and more. The new technologies can be incorporated in v2.x but not v1.9, I am given to understand, without major rewrites. If the expertise remains focussed on older technologies, where is there room to improve? The other side of this is that if you have two programming teams, then you are splitting your skill base. If you have one team, then they are constantly switching between the two code bases and flaws will quickly develop in both as they use different coding concepts, tools, techniques and standards. In either case, this is just not a desirable outcome for any manufacturer.

3: Technology. Web technologies are changing, have a look at the growth of mobile applications. These happened so fast that even Adobe was caught out and for the first time ever, they released a .5 version, 5.5, something they have never done. I cannot say that v1.9 would not be able to be adapted to mobiles, but the intensity of the development work requires a focussed effort, something that could not be done if there was a split development team.

I am not going to suggest this is what has prompted Martin and the team to make the decisions about ending support for v1.9, but I would think they thought about it long and hard and not made the decision in haste. (Remember also, support has continued for a lot longer than was originally planned.) Sooner or later, support has to end, and with such a small development team, the sooner the better, I would suggest. This is a business decision and even if many people don't like it, and they do not, it is still the right one. So noone is "riding roughshod" over anyone - and polling is only going to expose the popular perception, irrespective of correctness.     

Consider this also "Democracy is the idea that a million heads are better than one when making important decisions. A dictatorship is the idea that one person making decisions is far more effective than a million." What on earth does that mean? What about "The Greater Good" - and if you want to learn more about that then take the time and watch a Simon Pegg film, "Hot Fuzz". Enjoy...smile      

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Bob Puffer -

Because they're not hampered by "ideologies of technology", its not been hard for my instructors to separate "the grain from the chaff" in a discussion of new versions versus old versions.  If the new version doesn't enable them to do their work more easily and more effectively, then they have no interest in going there no matter how many new bells and whistles it sports or how much more in tune it is with current technology standards.  Progress is not merely movement, it is movement in the right direction.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Marc Grober -

Sorry Colin,  but Matt has it right....

Moodle 2 has been a bit of a disaster and if you look at the data has in fact introduced more security issues as one would expect with a new and arguably untried system. The changes were not all for the good and the arguments for many were indeed obscure, debated furiously, and resolved by apparent fiat in favor of a path that is still not discernable. The most important concept to come out of the move to Moodle 2 is the recognition by some that this community does not speak with quthority as all decisions are made by Moodle HQ as is their right, and that Moodle HQ is rarely forthcoming despite many many claims to the contrary.

Your three big reasons look much less impressive when one looks back through the argument about the change and many of the Moodle 2 improvements could just have easily been added to Moodle 1.9. I don;t want to be a Philistine about this (though I guess I am, lol) but the bits that we really did need were ignored while bits that were not a good idea pressed forward in a dash to tirn out something shiny and, well, not just not up to the look and feel of commercial products, as Figaro has noted.

Moodle 2 may eventually attract the mass of Moodle 1.9 users as the propaganda churns out of OZ,  but the advice remains the same; don't abandon the vehicle that is working for you, and before you make a move invest in rebuilding your entire infrastructure, including all your courses.....  a tall order for most....

In reply to Marc Grober

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The irony is that, if you have used Moodle 2.x for any length of time, then any time you have to go back to a Moodle 1.9 site, it is really horrible. When I am testing bug fixes, it is always a nasty shock when I have to test in 1.9.

In reply to Marc Grober

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I was going to reply to the comedy bitterness, but perhaps that wouldn't be politic, so let's just make with the helpful!

Regarding a transition to Moodle 2, if you have a large system with lots of legacy content, then you should probably set up a system running Moodle 2 for new courses. Your existing ones can be transferred over as time permits. If there's a course which is using a feature that for some reason isn't available on Moodle 2, leave it on 1.9 until the feature becomes available or you decide on an alternative way to implement it.

Here we now have a good proportion (about 25%) of current live courses on our Moodle 2-based system. It will take at least a year before everything is moved over (and old content will probably get 'left' on the 1.9 in read-only mode after that).

--sam

In reply to Marc Grober

by Colin Fraser -

Hi Marc, please don't get me wrong, I am not commenting on whether v2 is bigger and better, I am simply suggesting that there is a logic to dropping support for v1.9 that has nothing to do with the emotional ties some people display in going all dewy-eyed over v1.9.

We need to remember that v1.9 is the most stable, the longest life version of Moodle yet seen, and that certainly does not mean it is perfect. It was actually easy to use, quite intuitive, and many people found useful once they started to get it. Such a tool is going to attract a lot of support and, considering the length of life of v1.9, a lot of people are well connected with it and for those reasons resent any interference into their love affair with it. A lot of the comments made above are simply that and we are finding them in other forums and posts. I suspect we have all seen this same argument develop elsewhere with other things.

Yes, I would agree that there are serious flaws in v2, some of which, I suggest, are based around my earlier posts of programmers assuming their skills are something to be displayed and gazed at by non-programmers in absolute awe and wonder. Others are just poor outcomes for good ideas that are currently being slowly, too slowly, improved. Some are the result just plain poor decisions based in poor perceptions and, no doubt, some rather ordinary design and coding practices. I do not excuse any of those.  

No, I suggest that a lot of the support for v1.9 is based in the unwillingness of people to have a favourite toy taken from them. I also suggest the decision to drop support for v1.9 is a sound business decision, and despite Tim's comments, (ha ha! great timing Tim tongueout ) not a desire to rid the dev team of an unwanted and despised product or one based in a display of childish pique to demonstrate power, after all, v1.9 is not the mythical Windows 2 that Bill Gates keeps in a locked chest in his attic, letting it out only on Halloween. I also suggest we should be moving on, get over this claptrap, get on with seriously critiquing v2 and pushing for better outcomes. That is where you, Bob Puffer and others come into this, you guys are better at that than I am so keep making the noises, we need them.  

And Visvanath, that was a joke, I know I shouldn't, ..really.. as I work for a government, and we in the governent don't have a sense of humour we are aware of, I really shouldn't try, but I cannot help myself, sorry..smile 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mike Smith -

I realise I'm a small deployer of Moodle in a sea of developers in this forum, but it's not accurate to portray comments about system risk and degraded functionality as "dewy-eyed", "love affair" sentimentality.  These are very real business issues. I cannot recommend my clients commit to upgrade to Moodle 2 unless that upgrade process is economically viable, technically feasible, with manageable project risk and the rewards for that effort include some functional improvements that are tangible.  In other words - it has to be literally an upgrade, not just a crossgrade with the promise of better things in the future.

In reply to Colin Fraser

Hi Colin

About the joke: You don't have to apologize, there was a smiley at the right place. Don't worry I enjoyed the detour.
wink

Back to business: If I may pick two comments from your previous post:

> considering the length of life of v1.9, a lot of people are well connected with it and for those reasons resent any interference into their love affair with it
>
> a lot of the support for v1.9 is based in the unwillingness of people to have a favourite toy taken from them

Since I was arguing for 1.9, I tried hard to find out whether my reasons are sentimental. The only "objective" corner I could find was 1.9s economy, coming from the "Hardware of Performance" faction. In that case, I should pledge for 1.6 - the efficiency of its quiz engine is legendary. (N.B. The 1.6 final is still installable on the latest Debian/Ubuntu.)

On the rational side, here is the outcome of a meeting I had with a customer, a secondary school, just yesterday (yes, that is timing). Their number one use of the LMS is for file sharing, not only between the teacher and pupils but also amoung the teachers. They are very active as a whole. The only complain they have is the course based file structure, they prefer "teacher based" files. Side noe: the direct ftp upload to moodledata is heavily utilized.

Thay had big hopes on Moodle 2 to eliminate that limitation. After many evaluations we had to conclude that the new file system does not help them, it just breaks their workflow instead. So the suggestion was to go for M 2 but to install new software for file sharing. Then came the question, if the new software solves our problem, why Moodle 2? Nobody knew why, except for the "enf of life" of 1.9, which is an enforced one! They were unanimous on 1.9, at least for the academic year 2012/13. The argument: one big change at a time!

I hope that one counts as rational.

Then your second list:
> there is a logic to dropping support for v1.9 that has nothing to do with the emotional ties some people display in going all dewy-eyed over v1.9.
>
> there are serious flaws in v2, some of which, I suggest, are based around my earlier posts of programmers assuming their skills are something to be displayed and gazed at by non-programmers in absolute awe and wonder.
>
> Others are just poor outcomes for good ideas that are currently being slowly, too slowly, improved.
>
> Some are the result just plain poor decisions based in poor perceptions and, no doubt, some rather ordinary design and coding practices. I do not excuse any of those.
>
> a desire to rid the dev team of an unwanted and despised product or one based in a display of childish pique to demonstrate power
>
> get on with seriously critiquing v2 and pushing for better outcomes.

I'm glad that I don't have to answer them!

Since there is new hope, in a subthread of this and in the security forum, http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=196805, I am optimistic that we'll find solution which serves Moodle best and the Free Software as a whole.
In reply to Colin Fraser

Colin,

thanks for the inspirations on democracy - and thanks to Matt for raising this discussion (about an EoL) to higher levels!

I'm not ready for the "Hot Fuzz" yet, till I catch up with it here is a cute contribution to direct democracy by the Swiss, "die Landesgemeinde" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsgemeinde.

I don't know how that translates in to the digital era, is it the Tweet?

Sorry for the digression - coming back to EoL of 1.9 - how about the "silent voices" signalling their thoughts by rating the posts which reflect their openion as "Useful"?
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Matt Bury -

Hi Colin,

It isn't melodramatic, it's practical. There are two issues:

#1 - Moodle 2.x still has issues with buggy code, APIs not working properly, lack of support for some multimedia practices (e.g. SMIL and MPEG-7), etc.,

#2 - Have MoodleHQ looked into why the vast majority of new Moodle registrations are for 1.9? Or why so few users have upgraded their old installations? If anyone can shine any light on this, I'd like to know. Without knowing, how can MoodleHQ make well-informed decisions? Is it because of:

• Buggy code?
  • Extra-ordinarily high server requirements?
  • Lack of functionality, i.e. available plugins?
  • Upgrade and subsequent training costs?
  • Anything else? You don't know until you ask!

The sense that I'm getting from this isn't one of cherishing a beloved old version but practical considerations from IT support workers and teams who are scratching their heads and wondering how they can make an upgrade work with what they've got. Until we get a clear picture of what the issues are from a broader perspective, pushing forward with euthanising 1.9 maybe premature.

Who has MoodleHQ asked about it? Where's the info? Where's the open disclosure?

As far as I can see it, on the administrative side, MoodleHQ are neither autocrats nor democrats, they're technocrats. Yes, they can do whatever they like with Moodle, it's theirs, and I'm sure their revenue streams from Moodle partners et al will remain unaffected by their decisions. If you'd like to know more about the shortcomings and perils of technocratic rule, you can look into the work of Dave Snowden (http://www.cognitive-edge.com/index.php). The riding roughshod part is more to do with the rest of the 66,000 or so sites and the people with limited resources who have no choice but to stay with 1.9 for the time being.

Yes, Moodle 1.9 shouldn't be continued indefinitely but please don't pull the plug until the majority of users and their teachers and learners who depend on them can move over to 2.x.

In reply to Matt Bury

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Rosario Carcò -

I wrote about my administrators' point of view already in different threads. We will not be migrating to 2.x until I find acceptable solutions/workflows for teams of teachers working in the same courses. In 2.x they are not able to see a common upload area and they never know which versions of uploaded and upgraded files are linked to which resource in which course. The mess could not be bigger I think, but please correct me if I am wrong.

So I set up a 2.x Test-Server one year ago to let teachers work on it and collect their first impressions and make their first experiences. At the same time my "political" solution stopped all the teachers asking WHY is our production site still running 1.9 ? At their will they can start working on 2.x if they prefer.

One year ago, I was able to install only 2.0x and we are at 2.07 because PHP in my SUSE SLES 11 distribution did not allow for 2.1 and greater.

At the same time this parallel installation/running is already a strategic step towards upgrading one day. I wrote about the best migration paths to follow in another thread (if you are interested).

Some weeks ago SLES 11 SP 2 was released so that now I might uprade our test server from 2.07 to the latest 2.2 or 2.3, because PHP 5.3 has been integrated. So technically speaking my hardware and OS are ready for 2.2 and greater only starting now, only a few months before planned EOL of 1.9

So THIS is reality, I think, and HQ should respect their big big installation base of 1.9 and continue to support that stable line at least for another 1 or 2 years. I would even suggest to backport some security features implemented in the new file-system. But a course-based file-system without hashing and plain-text Names remains a big PRO for system administrators dealing with every day backup and restore of files to and from tapes and for teachers working in teams.

Besides that, I wrote some Blocks and uploadusersandcourses.php to automate creation of courses and enrolment of students into these newly created courses. I will need time to rewrite that code for 2.x So I have planned to rewrite and test my new code until end of this year.

And migration to 2.x will take place not before spring of next year.

Rosario

In reply to Rosario Carcò

by Anne Krijger -

Hi Rosario,

"In 2.x they are not able to see a common upload area"

Doesn't setting up a File System Repository meet that need?
AFAIK you can even add a specific instance per course or user.

For example all files in /<moodledatadirectory>/repository/rosariosfile/ can be made available in the file picker by adding it as a File System Repository.

That's not what you need?

AFA the 'mess' is concerned; I would say that what the version control of files is concerned it seems to me 2.x offers the best architecture to create what you need.

Wether this is available in a current version or you would have to ask your friendly neighbourhood Moodle partner is another issue, but they way it is set up will allow them more flexibility I think.

Anne.

In reply to Anne Krijger

by ben reynolds -

Wow! I knew nothing about File System Repository. Thanks, Anne!

In reply to Anne Krijger

by Rosario Carcò -

Thanks Anne. As I wrote elsewhere, I did not  have the time to test the new possibilities with repositories, despite my testserver running already for one year.

If I would set up a common area/systemRepository/uploadArea/ or whatever we might call it, how could I set up common access for a team of teachers T1, T2, T3 and another separate one for a second team with T4, T5, T6?

In my own scenario the best would be to use already existing windows-File-server-shares, where access is controlled directly on the windows-server. So the teams of teachers working together should either find this windows-share in Moodle only as a repository without need to upload anything, just link into the resources/courses they want to. Or, if upload can not be circumvented, they should be able to access their files and upload them into an area they can see/access as team only. No other teams allowed and every other team having its own file-area.

Rosario

by Anne Krijger -

Hi Rosario,

As I do have some time to investigate I tested what I think may be of help to you (and possibly others reading this). I've done this on a 2.6 Linux system using sym links.
I'll assume you have a samba share for team1 and team2 in the /mnt/smbshares directories.

I logged into the Moodle site as admin and set up the use of a File System repository by selecting 'Enabled and visible' under Site administration - Plugins - Repositories - Manage repositories.
I selected the 'Allow users to add a repository instance into the course' checkbox.
I did not create a repository on that page; that is for system wide repositories.

If it was not present yet, this will create a repository directory in the moodle data directory on your file system.

In that /<moodledatadir>/repository directory I created a symlink called team1 to /mnt/smbshares/team1 and a symlink called team2 to /mnt/smbshares/team2

Still logged in as admin I went to the C101 course. The Settings block now showed a link to Repositories. There I clicked the 'Create File System instance' link selected team1 from the dropdown box and added the repo name 'C101 (team1) Repo' and saved it.

I then did teh same for course C102; I went to the C102 course. Selected the The Repositories link in the Settings block. There I clicked the 'Create File System instance' link selected team2 from the dropdown box and added the repo name 'C102 (team2) Repo' and saved it.

If I now log in as a teacher on course C101, I get the team1 repo in my filepicker, but not the team2 repo.
If I log in as a teacher on course C102, I get the team2 repo in my filepicker, but not the team1 repo.

Does that more or less describe what you are looking for?

Anne.

In reply to Anne Krijger

by Rosario Carcò -

Dear Anne, thanks a lot for presenting a real use-case in such a detailed fashion.

Indeed, this could be one way to go, letting samba control the access rights of the different teachers who are members of 10 different universities here, each university having its own windows-share.

I guess this could even be a clever way to circumvent access via WEBDAV.

But this would mean that I had to set up simlinks to all possible teams. But there is a mitigating factor in my case insofar as I do only need about 10 different windows-shares and every teacher of every school being able to access only his own windows-share and the teams of teachers being members of the same school building a big big team of teachers that does not need to be broken up into tinier teams.

I could even go further this way and create also simlinks to the 10 windows-shares of the students file servers which are completely separated from the teachers/employees file servers. GREAT!

And I just saw a video here showing that there are possibilities for teams of teachers to see the uploaded files inside the courses, even if they do not share a common upload/picker area:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=200616

So, the video shows also that teachers can pick files out of the category/courses where they already uploaded/referenced a file they uploaded previously. I think this could be enough of a course or team area as I need it and hence I must revise my wrong perception: not having a common upload area does not mean that the teachers can not access the files they already uploaded/referenced as resources in their common courses.

The video shows also that the legacy file system can be used as a general (messy and unstructured) common upload area, accessible and open to every teacher. But I wonder if it is also open to students, which would constitute a security threat.

I will start some tests in the next months and report back here to share with you all.

Rosario

In reply to Anne Krijger

by Rosario Carcò -

Ooooh Anne, I am already using a windows-share mounted as samba-share on my production Moodle 1.9x, and I just remembered that I have to mount the share at boot-time through the fstab using a windows account and password. So this would mean that every Moodle user would access the windows shares as that user and not with his own account and privileges... bad, bad...

I need a dynamic way of accessing those windows-shares on a user-account-basis. Which brings us back to repositories, I fear...

But if teachers are able to share their uploaded files by simply accessing the categories/courses where they already uploaded/referenced a file, as the video shows, then I have a second mitigating factor insofar as the teachers can upload directly from their windows-shares and once the files are uploaded and referenced through ADD RESOURCE in any course, they could really use them in the team of teachers that share more than one course. Only the files that were uploaded into the private or server file area without being referenced in any course could not be viewed by the team colleagues. In such cases they should workaround using the legacy file area.

Rosario

In reply to Anne Krijger

by Carlos Altamirano -

Great advise, finally I have imported a backup from 1.9.7 to 2.2

Many thanks

Carlos

In reply to Anne Krijger

by Rosario Carcò -

Anne, in another thread I asked myself, whether we could not go the other way round when using WebDav:

• declare/create as many file areas as needed by every teacher or team of teachers ON THE MOODLE-Server
  • every teacher or team of teachers could connect through their WebDav-Client, eg. their windows-explorer or Finder/File-browser, etc. to this file area and upload all desired files there

This would be an easier access, no other Web-Dav-Servers like IIS to set up and maintain.

What do you think about this? Rosario

by Anne Krijger -

Hi Rosario,

As I do have some time to investigate, I tested what I think may be of help to you (and possibly others reading this). I've done this on a 2.6 Linux system using sym-links.
I'll assume you have a samba share for team1 and team2 in the /mnt/smbshares directories.

I logged into the Moodle site as admin and set up the use of a File System repository by selecting 'Enabled and visible' under Site administration - Plugins - Repositories - Manage repositories.
I selected the 'Allow users to add a repository instance into the course' checkbox.
I did not create a repository on that page; that is for system wide repositories.

If it was not present yet, this will create a repository directory in the moodle data directory on your file system.

In that /<moodledatadir>/repository directory I created a symlink called team1 to /mnt/smbshares/team1 and a symlink called team2 to /mnt/smbshares/team2

Still logged in as admin I went to the C101 course. The Settings block now showed a link to Repositories. There I clicked the 'Create File System instance' link selected team1 from the dropdown box and added the repo name 'C101 (team1) Repo' and saved it.

I then did teh same for course C102; I went to the C102 course. Selected the The Repositories link in the Settings block. There I clicked the 'Create File System instance' link selected team2 from the dropdown box and added the repo name 'C102 (team2) Repo' and saved it.

If I now log in as a teacher on course C101, I get the team1 repo in my filepicker, but not the team2 repo.
If I log in as a teacher on course C102, I get the team2 repo in my filepicker, but not the team1 repo.

Does that more or less describe what you are looking for?

Anne.

In reply to Nate Baxley

by Nate Baxley -

I'm heartened to hear so many others dealing with this as well.  While my University is moving to 2.x, we have a big ship to turn and it's taking a while.  I don't know that a new forum area is the right answer for these things (Helen's right there are a lot already).  But some allowances should be made for a place for people to collaborate on M1.9 issues beyond June at moodle.org.

It's evident from the stats that this isn't an isolated issue, so let's figure out a way to handle it without holding up the new development at Moodle HQ that's desperatly needed on Moodle 2.

In reply to Nate Baxley

by Colin Fraser -

Nate, the changeover is not that full of angst. My employer has over 400 separate Moodles for schools, on one host, some are extensively used, some are barely used. I was not involved in the upgrade, but it seemed one day I wnet in to v1.9 and the next its was v2.1.

I am going to assume that the host took their time and built a new moodle server installed v2.1 then simply swapped things around and when it was ready, as best they could get it, redirected to the new server. The challenge then was to ensure the new server worked, and as far as I can see, it has worked in the different Moodles I have used since the changeover was committed. I am sure it would have been challenging for the host's tech team, but for everyone else, it seemed as smooth as silk. So it is how the changeover is technically handled that seems more important. For all I know, they could have been working on it since the release of v2.0 and if they had, it makes sense and shows a great deal of forward thinking. Good on them. As a user, I can say it was a good experience - they did their jobs and made it easy for us.

In this scenario, why continue with v1.9?        

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Nate Baxley -

Colin,

We have certainly been evaluating 2.x for some time now, but with a wide range of users on our installs, we've run into situations where the modules from 1.9 aren't available in 2.x, or we haven't yet tested the alternatives.  Attendance and the FLEX course format are two that come to mind.  We've also had issues with migrating old courses over to 2, either through imports or upgrading the whole system.

From the end user side, you're right that the switch should be simple.  However, all of that "tech stuff" does take time, and with users who have pushed M1.9 to the limits, we have to reach to the limits to make the move as well.

I definitely want to make the move.  It makes my job as a developer much easier, and the code is much more stable and better desigined, but I can't be unprepared to continue to support a 1.9 install in some manner, and making sure that security holes are found and patched when they effect is is paramount.

In reply to Nate Baxley

by Colin Fraser -

There has been a number of comments already that some support for v1.9 will continue, but just not from MoodleHQ. I did hear Martin say at MoodleMootAu last July that they were hoping some interested parties would pick it up and run with it for a while. Whether that happens or not, I do not know.

I can say that in a number of ways v2 is better, in others it is not, it seems a number of retrograde steps have been taken. For me, perhaps, the desire to build better security around file handling and management has caused a number of issues that make it more clunky, less attractive. The cosmetics too in some areas have left a lot to be desired, and it is the cosmetics that will impact more than the technical capabilities of the product.

As far as the plugins are concerned, I agree, there needs some work here. Perhaps the developers of the plugins could have been given additional support and or encouragement to update their plugins, but honestly, I have no idea what has happened here, I have never developed a plugin. I do know that some of those developers have moved on, some have left wrecks behind them, and others are floundering but many plugins have noone to continue working on them. I would have thought that some very useful and well used third party plugins would have been moved into core, or at least the middle shell, rather than be left to continue in an ad hoc manner.

Perhaps you could do that, take the role on, or someone else you know. Perhaps a group of students as a real world project..smile Who knows...     

In reply to Colin Fraser

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Re cosmetics, our Moodle 2-based system looks a lot prettier than our Moodle 1.9-based system. That's not because of any inherent difference, our graphic designers just came up with a better theme. smile

Re file handling, I think people are going to like drag-and-drop upload (it's in 2.3) a lot.

Re plugins, if you choose to use a 'contrib' plugin then by definition you're taking on the risk that it might not be updated. That doesn't just affect version updates but also potential security holes, etc. So it's wise to consider the support before using a contrib plugin. Is it written by an individual or an institution? Either way, can you assess the risk they'll stop supporting it? When support from the original developer does end for the plugin, what's your plan B - can you just uninstall and stop using it? Or will you pay a Moodle partner to update it? (If there are a dozen institutions all using a particular plugin that hasn't been updated, it might well be feasible to get together and share the cost of a conversion.)

--sam

In reply to sam marshall

by Colin Fraser -

In some ways Sam, you are right, the appearance of v2.0 is better, but in others no - it is still ugly.

With file handling, I am also referring to internal use and reuse of files. The upload sequence was not a good look, and for a lot of people it is confusing. The worst thing is that it is not easy to reuse images. Another issue is that when a course repository is created, it is not actually created. You still have to access the tree to create a new folder inside the repository folder to create a repository. How absurd it is to create the first part of the mechanism, but then not complete it by forcing work onto admins to manually create a course repository. Course repositories at least should be automated, which allows for an easier and more obvious file storage construct. I suggest far too many people will upload files, then not be able to reuse them because they won't find them. Single upload/multiple use is not a working reality - if it was why do I have people coming back telling me that when they reuse a file, they are getting a message informing them the file they want already exists and if they want to overwrite the existing file, rename a second instance or cancel? Very confusing for them.

In reply to Nate Baxley

by Dan Marsden -

How about this as a proposal.....

We'll be supporting our existing clients on Moodle 1.9 for a bit longer and I guess we could extend some of this support to the community too. I'll put my hand up to triage and fix serious security issues with 1.9 until 20 Dec 2012 - depending on the workload I may extend this further.

So a statement like this could be used....
Official support for Bug fixes with serious security issues in 1.9.x will continue until June 2012, community support for bug fixes with serious security issues in 1.9.x will be provided by Dan Marsden from Catalyst IT

I'll talk with HQ about this and I may decide to exclude certain core modules from this support - we may also provide the support via our own git repo rather than moodle core.

Would this satisfy the requirements of people here wanting to continue using 1.9 for a bit longer but concerned about the security issues?

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mike Smith -

I think that is generous of you Dan.  I also think people ought to be paid for their work in circumstances like you describe.  I don't mind contributing to the cost of this and netiher would my clients.  They would view it as a service, like virus updates for <insert your fave antivirus software>.  But before you put your hand up, why don't we try to convince Moodle HQ that it is in their interests?

Mike

In reply to Mike Smith

by Dan Marsden -

tbh - I think the decision by HQ is a very good one for a range of different reasons - I think we should spend less time convincing HQ/complaining and do something practical about the situtation which is one of the reasons I've put my hand up.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mark Pearson -

Dan,

This is an extraordinarily generous offer and will make a huge difference to my upgrade plans.

The migration to Moodle 2 will not be seamless but I do want to make it compelling for the end user. I think that the drag and drop plugin goes a long way to that end but there are still User Interface issues which make 2.x more clunky rather than smoother to use (to be enumerated elsewhere).

Knowing that security issues in 1.9 will be addressed for a least another 6 months means that I can take a more measured path to upgrading by running a pilot programme in the autumn.

Thanks

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Christopher Bennett -

Dan,

Your proposal to fix serious security issues with Moodle 1.9 until 12/20/2012 is something that our university is extremely interested in.  We are currently using 1.9 and would like to continue using this version for a while longer while we work on setting up our Moodle 2.2 server and fine tune our upgrade/migration plan.

I wanted to check to see if there have been any status updates regarding your offer since the forum hasn't been active in over a month.

Thanks,
Chris

In reply to Nate Baxley

by Anne Krijger -

To get back to the original question.
I just read that Catalyst IT will be supporting 1.9 up to 2014.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=199706

Anne.
[In no way shape or form connected to the above mentioned Moodle partner]

In reply to Anne Krijger

by Derek Chirnside -

Close Anne. I believe it is Dec 2013 that CatalystIT is committed to for 1.9 support.

Putting my black hat on for a second, I worry about some setups where conservative IT departments will heave a sigh of relief and say, "Great, we don't have to upgade", and users will be sad at having to miss out on some new goodies.  But good for those running dual systems for a whie as plugins/mods/hacks catch up.

Derek,
[In no way shape or form connected to the above mentioned Moodle Partner but knows some good people working there]

by Dan Marsden -

I agree 100% with you there Derek - in some ways it would have been nice to have more pressure to upgrade sites to 2.x (I hope some of that pressure is still there) but the reality is that there are a bunch of organisations who just wouldn't be able to manage an upgrade until 2012 - hopefully this gives them a little more flexibility.

by Anne Krijger -

Hi Derek,

I read 'untill' to mean up to and including.

2 more years (almost) should give everyone ample time to upgrade and make the changes they need (or pay someone to do it obviously smile).

Anne.
[Professional Moodle developer, in case someone was wondering :]

In reply to Nate Baxley

by Gerard Arthus -

Nate,

I host a site for my own courses which I will keep on 1.9 regardless and I work on a hosted site for another college which will be upgrading to version 2.x. I guess that my personal site will be staying with 1.9 until I make a decision concerning what to do. There is no reason why 1.9 could not be used for several years, I am not worried about the security patches issue. Another alternative might be to use Wordpress as there are plugins available for LMS.

Gerry