Upgrade error during insert nto mdl_question_attempt_steps

Upgrade error during insert nto mdl_question_attempt_steps

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
Number of replies: 4

I'm attempting to upgrade a test instance of Moodle 2.0.4+ (Build: 20110907) to version 2.2.1+ (Build: 20120112) and I get the following error:

Debug info: SQLState: 23000<br>
Error Code: 2601<br>
Message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'dbo.mdl_question_attempt_steps' with unique index 'mdl_quesattestep_queseq_uix'.<br>
SQLState: 01000<br>
Error Code: 3621<br>
Message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]The statement has been terminated.<br>
INSERT INTO mdl_question_attempt_steps (fraction,timecreated,userid,state,sequencenumber,questionattemptid) VALUES(NULL,'1268039088','7472',N'todo','0','1000')
[array (
0 => NULL,
1 => '1268039088',
2 => '7472',
3 => 'todo',
4 => 0,
5 => 1000,
)]
Stack trace:
?? line 397 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: dml_write_exception thrown
?? line 252 of \lib\dml\sqlsrv_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
?? line 368 of \lib\dml\sqlsrv_native_moodle_database.php: call to sqlsrv_native_moodle_database->query_end()
?? line 881 of \lib\dml\sqlsrv_native_moodle_database.php: call to sqlsrv_native_moodle_database->do_query()
?? line 959 of \lib\dml\sqlsrv_native_moodle_database.php: call to sqlsrv_native_moodle_database->insert_record_raw()
?? line 299 of \question\engine\upgrade\upgradelib.php: call to sqlsrv_native_moodle_database->insert_record()
?? line 258 of \question\engine\upgrade\upgradelib.php: call to question_engine_attempt_upgrader->insert_record()
?? line 221 of \question\engine\upgrade\upgradelib.php: call to question_engine_attempt_upgrader->save_usage()
?? line 176 of \question\engine\upgrade\upgradelib.php: call to question_engine_attempt_upgrader->convert_quiz_attempt()
?? line 131 of \question\engine\upgrade\upgradelib.php: call to question_engine_attempt_upgrader->update_all_attempts_at_quiz()
?? line 1112 of \mod\quiz\db\upgrade.php: call to question_engine_attempt_upgrader->convert_all_quiz_attempts()
?? line 538 of \lib\upgradelib.php: call to xmldb_quiz_upgrade()
?? line 271 of \lib\upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
?? line 1449 of \lib\upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
?? line 269 of \admin\index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

At the beginning of the upgrade all the server checks are ok - I get the "Your server environment meets all minimum requirements" message.

The mdl_quesattestep_queseq_uix index is a unique nonclustered index on the questionattemptid and sequencenumber columns on the mdl_question_attempt_steps table.

The following SELECT:

select * from mdl_question_attempt_steps
where sequencenumber = 0
and questionattemptid = 1000

returns one record:

id questionattemptid sequencenumber state fraction timecreated userid
1973 1000 0 todo NULL 1239178400 6320

This SELECT:

select * from mdl_question_attempt_steps
where questionattemptid = 1000 

returns two records:

id questionattemptid sequencenumber state fraction timecreated userid
1973 1000 0 todo NULL 1239178400 6320
1974 1000 1 gradedpartial 0.4000000 1239181470 6320

Any suggestions on how I can fix this error?

My server setup:

• DB Driver: Microsoft SQL Server Driver for PHP 2
  • DB Engine: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 database (9.00.4035.00)
  • Web Server: IIS 6

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

Re: Upgrade error during insert nto mdl_question_attempt_steps

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The problem is not with the question_attempt_steps table. The upgrade script is copying data form somewhere else, and is crashing when it tries to insert a duplicate record, so of you don't get the second record added to that table.

The data is being copied FROM the mdl_question_states table. Have a look for duplciate combinations of attempt, question and seq_number there. (However, I thought the upgrade was robust enough to resolve duplicate seq_numbers there.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Thanks Tim.

What do I do if there is a duplicate row in mdl_question_states? Is it safe to delete one of them?

I see that I reported this a few months ago in MDL-27900.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

MDL-27900 Looks like a completely different bug.

If you have duplicate mdl_question_states, first find the quiz attempt id (question_states->attempt = quiz_attempts->uniqueid, look at the id in that quiz_attempts row).

The go to mod/quiz/review.php?attempt={id} or whatever the right URL is, to see if that attempt is worth saving, or if it is just garbage.

That will let you know if it is safe to delete.