Suggestions for the best way to direct students to a course dedicated to their learning style

Suggestions for the best way to direct students to a course dedicated to their learning style

by Kerri McCusker -
Number of replies: 5

Hello

As part of my PhD project I am looking at adding learning personalisation Moodle and Virtual Worlds. One of the first tasks I want the students to undertake is a Learning Style Test (which I have implemented). There are four predominant learning styles and it may be the case that some students are a hybrid of two learning styles.

Based on the outcome of the learning style test – I then need to automatically direct the student to a pre populated course specific to each of the 4 learning styles or the hybrid combinations.

I have identified the table in the database which records the user ID, the learning style and the associated scoring by individual students.

What I would like you know, in your opinions, what is the best way of doing this.

For instance, should I use groups for this or should I be developing an automated way of directing the students to the appropriate course after they take the Leaning Style test.

Any help is appreciated.

Kerri    

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kerri McCusker

Re: Suggestions for the best way to direct students to a course dedicated to their learning style

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Kerri: "...should I use groups for this or should I be developing an automated way of directing the students to the appropriate course after they take the Leaning Style test."

It really depends how many students you have to enrol into groups or courses. If the number is not too large, you might consider enroling them manually.

Technicalities aside, I wonder about the whole idea of providing "appropriate courses" to students, based on their "learning style". How would the content of those "learning style-based" courses differ one from another?

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Suggestions for the best way to direct students to a course dedicated to their learning style

by Kerri McCusker -

Hi Joseph 

Thanks for the reply 

This needs to be done automatically, as it will be rolled out to a large number of students for testing 

In relation to your question - having done some research into this area it has been stated that providing course materials to a student suited to their learning styles can have a positive impact. I.e. in very simple examples - if I had a student identified as a sequential learner I would adapt the course material into a step-by-step / outlines / lists / examples approach to the theory as opposed to a visual learner I would add more images / video clips / diagrams/ maps

This of course will be tested to the performance of students who use a standard course and the results compared. 

Kerri 

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Kerry,

You forgot to mention and I forgot to ask: which version of Moodle are you using? I guess 1.9, since the "learning styles test" plugin does not seem to be available for Moodle 2 yet.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Kerri McCusker -

I am using 1.9 as you mentioned LStest is not available on 2.0, addiotnally i am using SLOODLE  which also is not available on 2.0 

by amit gupta -

Hey Kerri,

Actually i m also working on adding learning personalisation Moodle. I want to know if there is any plug-in available which can auto-suggest users for new related courses based on their previous enrollemnts and searches.

I've tried "Analytics and reccomendations block", but its not that i want.

Can you suggest me related plugin?? Any related help would also be appreciated

Regrads,

Amit

PS:- I am using moodle 2.4.3.