Local Content (in CD/DVD) with Moodle

Local Content (in CD/DVD) with Moodle

by Vinodh Soundarajan -
Number of replies: 4

Has anyone implemented Moodle Server referring to local content/packages.  In other words, the Moodle server will be on the Internet.  All functions will be done via Internet except for Content playing (multiple formats).  This is being done to overcome bandwidth challenges.

Any hints are appreciated

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vinodh Soundarajan

Re: Local Content (in CD/DVD) with Moodle

by Coby Enteen -

I am trying to do a similar implementation for schools with limited internet connectivity.  Is this possible.  Any ideas would be great.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Might check into Server2Go http://www.server2go-web.de/

Issues are many if there is to be a mixed user base ... by that I mean, PC Windows (and versions of Windows also), Mac's, and Linux desktops.  Folks on almost any connection will/should have a firewall either boundary or internal to operating system so clicking a link on a web page (Moodle) that uses a local resource might prove problematic.

Distributing a moodle via any locally controlled device would also be problematic when it comes to updates ... of Moodle, the things that make Moodle 'go', or the courses themselves.  Collection of data from those local systems - like grades - ?

Not saying it can't be done.  Matter of fact, just a few years ago (early 90's when internet was 'young') a supplemental multimedia CD WAS a commonly used method and usually limited to Windows only.

The following link is old, but will give you an idea of what you might be facing:

http://www.macdisk.com/cdweben.php

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

One other thought to add ... if the users are in one location and have somekind of connection to the internet (as well as a local TCP/IP network), wonder if rsyncing the 'right pieces' of the hosted moodle site to a local web server in the wee-hours of the AM (when what bandwidth is available is not being used by users) would do.

There would be some edits/changes one would need to make with config.php for the remote moodle servers.  The rsync initial run would take a long time, but with rsync set up to do incremental, only those items changed are xfer'd the next rsync run.

Could imagine this to work best with Moodle 1.9 as the course ID directories would contain the multimedia files.  IF using Moodle 2, the multimedia files would have to be in folders outside of Moodle to prevent them from being included in the DB.

Also, and I don't know this is possible with Moodle code, relative addressing of multimedia resources in Moodle would be best rather than full URL to resources.  Example: at the document root of the web server a multimedia folder with subfolders of audio and video.  A relative link would look like: /mutimedia/audio/somemp3audio.mp3  Apache would look in document root /multimedia/audio/ for the file.

Just thinking outloud ... never tried it myself. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Vinodh! I used to play mp3 and AVI files directly off the C:\ harddrive in my computer lab PCs. All this within my Moodle 1.9.15 coursepage. I was teaching IELTS previously. This method allowed me to save on bandwidth and to overcome the need to stream an mp3 file or avi video from the Net. To find out more, go to: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=170315&parent=747889 or Email me at boonsengkam@gmail.com. Frankie Kam