Hardware/hosting for 1000 users accessing scorm

Re: Hardware/hosting for 1000 users accessing scorm

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Shail

The additional information you provided:

> When I say the scorm package won't access database, I mean it does not have any quiz.

supports what I said earler:

>> At a first glance I would say, you don't need a powerful machine.

And the second bit of information:

> This will be an audio narrated powerpoint converted to flash. Each slide could last 2/3 mins.

Makes the network requirement:

>>The network bandwidth could be a more important factor, depending on the 'weight' and frequency of those media.

less stingent.

> Could you please suggest some profiling tool that could give me a better idea with some more experimentation? That might be a good start for me.

Unfortunately there is no systematic input from profiling Moodle. That would greatly help increasing the efficiency of Moodle.

If you mean benchmarking and monitoring the compulsory docs mentioned in the introduction to this forum explains them to a certain extent. Also go through recent dicussions, there is one on monitoring tools, and another one on PHP-accelearators, etc.

My rough guess is that you worry too much on the technical side. I repeat:

>> Since you emphasize "non-technical" support is going to be the critical issue. The hoster should look after upgrades, backups, failover. Possibly a part of the Moodle-admin job like getting the media properly through, and some other configuration issues like repositories, additional modules, etc. If you take the full picture, it is even more than a "turn-key" solution. This is the expensive part.