Proposal for incorporating Lightwork rubrics into Moodle 2.3

Proposal for incorporating Lightwork rubrics into Moodle 2.3

од Paul Charsley -
Број на одговори: 8

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate feedback on our proposed method of incorporating the Lightwork rubrics into Moodle and the new Moodle 2.3 assignment module.
See also docs.moodle.org/dev/Lightwork.

Moodle currently supports one type of rubric called "rubric" which is defined in mdl_grading_definitions and its associated grading form tables. Lightwork supports 2 rubric types, a rubric that is equivalent to the Moodle rubric and a rubric without explicit quality levels that allows the teacher to specify a mark out of a maximum allowed for each criterion. I'll call these rubrics Rubric type 1 and Rubric type 2 respectively.

The current Moodle rubric will be used in Lightwork as the type 1 rubric which means it will be possible to define it, edit it and grade with it either through the Moodle interface or in Lightwork.

We propose creating a new grading definition for Lightwork's type 2 rubric. This means that there will be an additional grading method that can be chosen in the grading method dropdown in the assignment editing page. Currently, "Rubric" is the only rubric option available. Teachers will now have an additional rubric definition to choose from, the type 2 rubric. This rubric definition provides a more traditional rubric which in Lightwork we call an "analytical rubric". However, subsequent research has revealed this name to be misleading and we would need to come up with different terminology to define the 2 rubric types in Moodle.

The Lightwork rubrics have additional features that are not currently supported in the Moodle rubric such as the ability to define a bank of "frequently used comments" that can be subsequently selected from and added by the teacher as feedback in the rubric instance displayed to the user. We'd like to extend Moodle's functionality to provide this feature.

We'd also like to incorporate the ability for the student to have a PDF version of the rubric instance that is displayed as feedback. Lightwork currently does this.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Paul

Просек на рејтинзи:Useful (2)
Во одговорот до Paul Charsley

Re: Proposal for incorporating Lightwork rubrics into Moodle 2.3

од Grette Wilkinson -

Hi Paul,

Your proposal sounds like a good one. My understanding of the advanced grading methods in Moodle 2.2 is that by marking a particuar performance standard against a criteria a marker can apply a set point value (a true rubric). Whereas what some markers are asking me for may be more appropriately described as a 'marking guide'. They wish to indicate where a piece of work sits in terms of the performance standard, but then have the flexibility to determine the point value that is applied either; within a particular range according to the performance standard selected, against each criteria seperately with no reference programatically to the performance standard selected, or to the marking guide as a whole.

I think that sounds like what you have described as the analytic rubric?

I would be supportive of extending the functionality of the Advanced Grading Method in Moodle to incoproate these features.

I am not able to comment about whether this could be done for 2.3 given that the Advanced Grading Method is a sepereate Moodle module to the Assignment module and therefore not included in the re-factor for 2.3. A question for Moodle HQ perhaps?

Во одговорот до Grette Wilkinson

од Paul Charsley -

Hi Grette,

Yes, what you are describing and calling a 'marking guide' is the equivalent to the new grading definition that we propose to add. We are submitting this feature as part of the changes that are required to incorporate Lightwork into Moodle 2.3 as described at docs.moodle.org/dev/Lightwork.

Во одговорот до Grette Wilkinson

од Eva Heinrich -

Hi Grette,

I like your suggestion of 'marking guide'! What you describe is what we are doing in our Lightwork 'analytic rubric' (a name, as Paul says, we are not quite happy with).

Thanks, Eva

Во одговорот до Paul Charsley

од Eva Heinrich -

The first version of the marking guide is now available. It allows definition of a marking guide and grading using the marking guide (there is no student interface yet for seeing the detailed marking comments and marks).

We have prepared a testing plan, see http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Lightwork#Marking_guide_-_Screenshot_and_Testing.

You can either test within our sample Moodle installation (links and usercodes are provided in the testing plan) or within you own environments. The testing plan indicates some areas where the behaviour around using marking guides might need further discussion (e.g., what happens if the teacher switches between simple grading and using a marking guide after marking has started). Feedback is welcome.

Regards, Eva

Во одговорот до Eva Heinrich

од Grette Wilkinson -

Hi Eva,

Apologies for the late reply. I am really interested in having a look at this. Is it too late to provide feedback? If yes I will have a look anyway and await it's release.

Cheers
Grette