How to display a different theme based on the user programatically?

How to display a different theme based on the user programatically?

by john felix -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

I was just wondering whether it is possible to change the theme programatically depending on who the current logged in user is? Can someone tell me how to do this.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to john felix

Re: How to display a different theme based on the user programatically?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi John,

I'm not sure about 'programmatically' but if you enable user themes in Site Admin > Appearance > Themes > Theme Settings, each user can then set a theme on their profile page. You can limit the choice of themes by creating a list on the theme settings page as well.

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to john felix

by Frederic Nevers -

Hi,

I've never tried it but there is a 'theme' field in the 'mdl-user' table. You could probably try and set a theme there (with PHPmyAdmin) to see if it works. Just a thought.

Cheers, 

Fred

In reply to Frederic Nevers

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

This can be set in the students profile by the administrator, if this option is enabled in Theme settings, so no need to manually change the Database.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Arjun Baliga -

Dear All,

i have a similar question .I have set force theme  courses ,as we  have multiple courses running on same instanse.

and  i have set user theme in their profile for admin and teachers.is there any way i can stop overwriding user theme by course theme.

Hope i am making sense smile thanks in advance 

Arjun 

In reply to Arjun Baliga

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't think you can control this in the Moodle UI, but you can control it in your config.php file. If you look in config-dist.php, which lists all the things you can set in config.php, it is documented there. (Search for $CFG->themeorder).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Arjun Baliga -

thanks much Tim ,what exactly i wanted 

In reply to Arjun Baliga

by Phillip McAbee -

Hey Arjun,

Where able to display a different theme based on the user programmatically?

I have the same challenge? If you have anything to share on how to implement this it be great - I'm working with Moodle 2.7.

Phil

In reply to Phillip McAbee

by Nick Garrod -

Did a solution get found for this.

I too want a theme automatically selected based on the user that has logged into the system.

In reply to Nick Garrod

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Read the whole of this discussion. Admins can set a theme for a Student in the student's profile. However these themes can be overridden if course themes have been set too. To make the User theme dominate this action you would also need to add some php markup into your Moodle site's config.php.

Read Tim's comment above.

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Rodrigo Ribeiro de Abreu -

Thanks a lot. This thread helped me a lot.

I'm facing a challenge: I need that every new user starts using moodle with an especific theme.

In other words:

1 - a theme for Admin and non logged users

2 - 1 theme for every looged users (except for admin)