Error in backup procedure

Error in backup procedure

by Sergio Alfaro -
Number of replies: 17

I not which is the error thought that it might be the zlib but it is available, I will be grateful for his help.

Respaldo del curso: Diploma de Asistente Ejecutiva (DAE)

Nombre:

respaldo-dae-_20030805-1222_.zip
  • Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Creating XML file
    • Writing header
    • Writing general info
    • Writing course data
      • Course info
      • Areas
    • Writing user info. . .
    • Writing categories and questions. . . . . . .
    • Writing module info
      • Tareas
  • Copying user files
  • Copying course files
  • Zipping backup

An error has ocurred

Continuar

Ud. está en el sistema como Sergio Alfaro (Salir)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sergio Alfaro

Re: Error in backup procedure

by Ger Tielemans -

I did try to do a course backup on a windows-server, but not even reached the screen you show.

Question: Has someone Backup working under Windows (and Debian Linux)?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Anders Berggren -

Hello!

Backup works in Windows for me, all except for the last procedure, namely when I try to 'restore'. Then nothing happens. I downloaded the student_manual.zip from one of the forums and that was the first 'restore' I tried perform. Now it seems as if the systems searches for the files somewhere on the Internet. I don't know where to reset these paths if that's the problem.

Best wishes

Anders B

In reply to Anders Berggren

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Anders !!

Sorry, but I don't understand your previous post. Do you want to say that you cannot restore the "student_manual.zip" course or that you have restored that course and you are having problems in the restored course (using it) ?

Anyway, can you send more information about your problem ?

TIA and ciao, Eloy. smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Anders Berggren -

Hi Eloy,

First of all, it is a relief you offering help. Thanks a lot. The problem is that I cannot restore any of my zipped  backup files at all. I think that the system looks for them in the wrong place. When I have tried to restore I sometimes check with Ctr/Alt/Del and find something called 'Go' that doesn't seems to go anywhere.

Ciao, Anders smiley.gif

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, Anders.

OK. Take a look. I assume this:

1- You've a Moodle 1.1 installation running.
2- You've at least a course created in it. We are going to call it "ORIG_COURSE" from now.
3- You're a teacher in the course or an admin in the Site (to complete all this steps *exactly* you should be an admin!!).
4- You've selected the "Backup" link in the "ORIG_COURSE" main page.
5- You've executed the backup procedure (checking what to include in it and seeing the backup process, finishing with a "Backup finished successfully" message).
6- You've pressed the continue button and you have been redirected to the "File Manager". In that place, there is an "ORIG_COURSE_XXXXXXXXX.zip" file.
7- If you press in the file name, you download it to your computer.
8- On the right of the file name, there is some links. One of them is "restore".
9- Return to your "ORIG_COURSE" main page.
10- Now, under the "Backup" link there is a "Restore" link too.
11- You've selected it and you have been redirected to the "File Manager" again". Your step6 file continues there.
12- If you want to restore it, you've selected the "Restore" link on the right of the file name.
13- You see a confirmation screen. Press "Yes".
14- You are in the restore first screen. It's a info only screen. Continue.
15- You are in the restore second screen. Here you select what do you want to restore from your backup file. Check that you have selected "Restore to new course", near the top. Continue.
16- You are in the third screen. The last confirmation screen. Press the "Restore now" button.
17- Restore process starts (it can be long, depending of your course contents). Finally you'll see a "Restore completed successfully" message.
18- You've pressed the continue button. Now you are in the "NEW_COURSE" main page. It looks exactly as the "ORIG_COURSE".
19- Now you have two courses.
20- Your backup and restore processes have finished successful.

Now, to restore an external course in your site, for example, the "course_students.zip" you talk about in previous posts.

Skip steps 1-12. Instead do this:

1- Login into your Moodle instalation (as admin)
2- Go to "Files" link (on the bottom-left).
3- Now you are in the "File Manager", exactly in the "Main Area".
4- Upload the "course_students.zip" file there.
5- Continue with steps 12-20 now.

And this is all. I think it should be sufficient to complete every backup (from your course) and restore (from your course or from an externally received course).

If you have problems, please tell us the exact step and what is your problem.

Good luck smile

Ciao, Eloy

by Anders Berggren -

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the full instruction. I had already tried most of it.

6- You've pressed the continue button and you have been redirected to the "File Manager". In that place, there is an "ORIG_COURSE_XXXXXXXXX.zip" file.               So far so good.

- What happens when I perform, step 7 is that I get a message (in the status bar) about an error on this page and an empty new window opens.

8- On the right of the file name, there is some links. One of them is "restore".
9- Return to your "ORIG_COURSE" main page.
10- Now, under the "Backup" link there is a "Restore" link too.
11- You've selected it and you have been redirected to the "File Manager" again". Your step6 file continues there.
12- If you want to restore it, you've selected the "Restore" link on the right of the file name.

- On step 13, the confirmation screen is where the whole procedure stops, I press "Yes" but nothing happens.

Folders are created in moodledata and I can unzip and list the files but restore doesnt seem to find them.

Im just confusedmixed.gif

I have checked mySQL admin to examine the status of the database tables. I have tried to activate mdl_backup_files and mdl_backup_ids but they wont stay activated. When I check their contents I find they are empty.

When installing Moodle I made the mistake of going back to a previous page before installation was completely finished. Maybe these two tables werent set up correctly?

Ciao, Anders

- What happens when I perform, step 7 is that I get a message (in the status bar) about an error on this page and an empty new window opens.

Have you tried to download any file ? Does this occur only with ".zip" files or always (try to upload & dowload an image, for example) ? What message do you get ?

- On step 13, the confirmation screen is where the whole procedure stops, I press "Yes" but nothing happens.

No info is showed at all ? Can you send me the "exact" url that is being called ? And the zip file you are trying to restore from ?

I have checked mySQL admin to examine the status of the database tables. I have tried to activate mdl_backup_files and mdl_backup_ids but they wont stay activated. When I check their contents I find they are empty.

That is their "normal" status. They are only used in the backup/restore process and records are deleted when finished.

When installing Moodle I made the mistake of going back to a previous page before installation was completely finished. Maybe these two tables werent set up correctly?

If they exist, I think that your "going back" shouldn't be a problem at all. Anyway, if you can do a fresh install again (if you don't have "production data"), it will be better to make tests. I suppose that you are using moodle 1.1 final, of course.

See you, Eloy. smile

by Anders Berggren -

Hi again Eloy,

Sorry if I cause further inconvenience, thanks for bothering...

Have you tried to download any file ? Does this occur only with ".zip" files or always (try to upload & dowload an image, for example) ?

The file moodle.xml opens in the new window

What message do you get ?

No message at all when I open other files.

No info is showed at all ?

No. The only thing that happens is that when I use Ctr/Alt/Del I can se that something called Go is active. Several versions of 'Winoldap' also are active. I think they have with this procedure to do.

Can you send me the "exact" url that is being called ? And the zip file you are trying to restore from ?

Calling page:

http://localhost/moodle/files/index.php?id=2&wdir=/backupdata&file=backup-sva-20030907-2237.zip&action=restore

Called page:

../backup/restore.php?id=2&file=2/backupdata/backup-sva-20030907-2237.zip

Restoring backup-usemdl001-20030903-1559.zip downloaded from www.moodle.org

Calling page:

http://localhost/moodle/files/index.php?id=1&wdir=&file=backup-usemdl001-20030903-1559.zip&action=restore

Called page:

../backup/restore.php?id=1&file=1//backup-usemdl001-20030903-1559.zip"

Hope this information helps solving the problem.  Ciao, Anders

by Anders Berggren -

Hi Eloy,

I saw that you had sent me e-mail. I'm sorry but when I tried to take a look at it on the server it mysteriously disappeared. Could you send it again, please?

Ciao, Anders

Hi Anders.

In the email I sent you some screenshots about restoring your course in my server. It worked fine !!

Also, I requested you some info about your "config.php" file and "Admin/Configure Variables" page.

It is one of the last checks I can do (And I hope the problem be there !!).

I requested them (the "config.php" file and the "Admin/Variables" page) to you privately by email because they could have "private" info. smile

I'll send the original email in some hours (now, I'm in another location). However, if you can send me that info now...

Ciao, Eloy. smile

Re: Error in backup procedure - problem solved!

by Anders Berggren -

Hi Eloy,

I followed your advice in a private e-mail saying that I should deactivate my Download Manager 'GoZilla' which seemed to intervene in the restore procedure by searching for the backup.zip-file somewhere on the Internet. I tried to perform my first backup using a demo I found in a forum here. When I deactivated 'GoZilla', all of a sudden, the entire backup module started functioning flawlessly, provided I did not include any chats. I still have problems with the chat module in my environment (Win 98, IE6, EasyPHP) as it happens.

The backup module is a wonderful and very useful feature in Moodle.

Thanks for all your trouble helping me!

You'll se me happily (and sometimes concerned) moodling along.

Anders

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Bob Lee -

Hello...

I am getting this error in my moodle backup procedure:

Warning: copy(/home/rboblee/moodledata/2/backupdata/backup-psy101w-20031017-2115.zip): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/rboblee/public_html/moodle/backup/lib.php on line 258

I have chmod777 for moodledata

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions to fix this?

Thanks!

I am using totalchoice.com hosting...  using cPanel to edit things...

Do I need to change the chmod on moodle/backup so it can write the zip file?

Thanks again...

Bob Lee

by Antti Immonen -

Is there solution for that problem already?

Backup procedure stops at unzip phase.

This happens to me when I try to back-up some old courses that was made with1.09 to transfer them to a new place.

Thanks,
Antti

In reply to Antti Immonen

by Antti Immonen -

Solution found:

My 1.09 was using zip-program of the server and those paths came along to 1.1. I deleted the paths from configuration page and zipping runs smoothly now.

Keep up the good work!

Antti

by Charles Mowle -

When backing up  - I am receiving the following backup messsages - followed by an error message.

----------------

Copying course files Zipping backup Copying zip file
Warning: mkdir() failed (Permission denied) in /home/httpd/vhosts/.............../backup/lib.php on line 71

An error has ocurred

---------------------

On checking the 'moodledata' directory I notice that a subdirectory called 'temp' and one called 'backup' has been created.

Underneath the backup directory is a unique directory name ( I gather generated by the system), and under this is there are three directories:

a.  course_file, and

b.  modddata, and

c. userfiles.

Also there is a file "backup-..................zip" .

Can anyone tell me what directory the system was trying to make when it crashed, and how I may address this problem.  (Initially I thought is was a permissions error, but clearly some directories have been created without problem).

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Charles Mowle

by Charles Mowle -
Problem has been resolved.

The ownership of the 'moodledata' directory (and some its subdirectories) had over time changed, some were owned by the 'user' rather than 'apache'.

I changed them all back to 'apache', as well as the permissions all being changed back to '777'.

Now the backup procedure runs to completion without error.