Alfresco: questions & article & Alfresco event in Feb

Alfresco: questions & article & Alfresco event in Feb

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 3

I've tried to track down an answer to this question: is the Alfresco <> Moodle connection sorted/stable without a whole lot of fixes, patches and high level inside knowledge?

I came to the conclusion several months ago that Moodle 2+ without a repository was not going to work.

**I found this: Nice article from Packt (probaby a good reason to buy the book).  I quote: This article by Jason Cole, Jeanne Cole and Gavin Henrick, authors of Moodle for Business: Beginner's Guide, introduces the integration of Moodle with Alfresco. Alfresco is an open source content management system that integrates well with Moodle and can act as Moodle's content repository.

**Thread from this forum: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=164785  etc etc  I could not quite sort out in my mind why you need extra stuff.

**Other news: Alfresco Sponsored event.  I know nothing about any of this, but it looked interesting.
I quote:
Partner Solution:CIGNEX Datamatics :Alfresco Powering e-learning for a Global University through an integration with Liferay Portal and Moodle (Learning Management System)

When: February 28 2012
Where: Online Webinar 10am UK, 12pm CET

Join CIGNEX Datamatics, Alfresco’s Global Platinum Partner, as they share the case study experience of a leading Global online university, regarding their Document Management & Web Portal solution having the integration  of Open Source technologies - Alfresco ECM, Liferay Portal and Moodle Learning Management System. The webinar will feature information related to the business drivers, challenges and solution architecture and also include a live demonstration.

-Derek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Alfresco: questions & article & Alfresco event in Feb

by christian lukaschik -

Hi Derek that event sounds rather interesting considering that portal integration is the logical next step in educational IT. We are already doing projects with this focus in Germany but it will be great to get a different perspective. About the extra stuff wink in our solution: edu-sharing offers a simplified gui for file management and sharing which has been integrated in moodle. Furthermore there is a search functionality using didactical metadata (which of course has to be added by the users when uploading sth.) and a rendering service offering a preview and “in-course media-playback” for audio, video, SCORM moodle courses and qti 2.1 files. The most important thing though is: unlike the moodle integration in the article (...You have now copied your file from Alfresco to Moodle for use in your course. …) edu-sharing only links to the repository - it never makes local copies of content. This allows for easy material updates across multiple courses or moodle instances. Hope this helps a little.
Christian

In reply to christian lukaschik

by Derek Chirnside -

OK thanks Christian.  Can I clarify: 

The Moodle docs on Alfresco http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Alfresco_repository say

The Alfresco repository enables users to link to or copy files from Alfresco into Moodle.

Does the Moodle (out of the box) integration allow linking (as the docs say)?  The various blogs I looked at don't address this option.

I checked out Graham Hendricks white paper http://independent.academia.edu/GavinHenrick/Papers/1053376/A_look_at_Moodle_2_Repositories Things have probably moved on from there.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Derek

That webinar is not for Linux users. After registering, I get:

"WebEx Training Manager
To start or join a training session you will need to download, install, and configure the WebEx Training Manager.

Note: The first time you join or start a session, the Training Manager will automatically be installed; however you can manually download it here. You must have administrator privileges on your computer to use this installer.

Download the installer for your operating system:
• Windows(for Internet Explorer)
• Windows (for Firefox or Chrome browsers)
• Mac OS X (for Intel Mac)"

which is a pity, I should come back to this soon http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=191894.