Email Exploding ISP!

Email Exploding ISP!

by Mark Snodgrass -
Number of replies: 2

Hello All,

I am a Moodle Admin and a teacher.  I have set up several forums for my kids to actually practice giving feedback to each other.  However, post.php is also sending “hundreds” of emails at a time and my ISP has gone in and change post.php to post.txt so the kids can’t use it.  I need to change it back, but before I can do that I need to turn off the emails. 

Is there a way or a hack that I can turn off the email from forums? 

If this isn’t the correct spot to post this let me know.  Thank you for any help. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Snodgrass

Re: Email Exploding ISP!

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Mark,

When you say that post.php is sending hundreds of e-mails, is this unexpected - i.e. are the e-mails being incorrectly sent?

If not, then I'd seriously consider finding a new provider. Moodle is capable of sending huge volumes of e-mail with legitimate reason, and a correctly configured server should have absolutely no issue with this.

You don't say what version of Moodle you're using, but on recent version (2.1 and 2.2 IIRC) If you'd like to change the behaviour of forum e-mails then you can do so without code modification:
Under Settings, choose Site administration -> plugins -> Message outputs -> Default message outputs

You should be able to change the default types of notifications sent to all users for various activities. For example, you can 'prevent' e-mail notifications being sent out for forum posts, or set it so that by default users don't receive e-mail but can turn it on if they decide.

Personally, I'd find a new provider, or a moodle hosting provider who knows how to host moodle properly!

Andrew
LUNS Limited
In reply to Andrew Lyons

Re: Email Exploding ISP!

by Alex Walker -

Andrew's right.

A script that sends out hundreds of emails at a time is usually a sign that an insecure web site or service has been hi-jacked to send spam email. However, Moodle has legitimate reasons to send hundreds of emails at a time.

When someone posts a front-page news announcement on my Moodle, it's sent out to 7,000 people at once.

They should be able to check their mail queue and log to make sure that all the messages are legitimate Moodle emails (i.e. your site definitely hasn't been compromised). Then, either inform your host that is is expected behaviour for Moodle, or find a better host.