Penalizing for attendance

Penalizing for attendance

by Joe Thomas -
Number of replies: 0

Most of our educational courses are directly tied to a specific number of classroom hours that a student needs to participate in.  The students are aware of this when the courses start.

The educational program has a policy that penalizes the student for every hour of class time missed.  The policy reduces the students overall grade by 2.5% per hour of class time missed.

My question based on this is, is there a way to set something in the grade book or someplace else to do this calculation for me.  This would have to be on a student by student basis.

I tried creating an off-line assignment called attendance and played around with the grade settings until it lowered the students grade by the appropriate amount, but this doesn't satisfy the requirements of the educational program.  Attempting to do it in this manner only lowers the grade at that instance and as more graded activities are added that particular activities overall effective weight becomes less and less.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I might be able to comply with this it would be appreciated.

The program is using moodle 2.0

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -