A Light-Weight Moodle

A Light-Weight Moodle

by Lindy bryanton -
Number of replies: 13

I wanted to share with the moodle community, the project my fourth year Computer Science project class at the University of Prince Edward Island is undertaking. We are developing a Learning Module System for use in villages around the world. For our base, we will be using Moodle - removing and adding functionality, as required.

The final system will be very simplified, for use by persons with minimal exposure to computers. It also needs to run on low end pcs (Pentium 100s for client machines and Pentium 400s for the servers). 

With the permission of our users, data about their use of the system will be collected and submitted to a server at the University. Hopefully our work will be of use to the Moodle project community.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lindy bryanton

Re: A Light-Weight Moodle

by Robert Lefebvre -
Hi Lindy,

That's a great project you're doing.  What OS are they planning on? I've been working on getting computer labs to the developing world too and kind of settled on Linux K12LTSP. I'm new at Linux so I don't know if that is necessarily the best version but it has a lot of built in education software. The LTSP part works really well and I've gotten many corroborating success stories about it.  One good thing about the thin clients is that they don't need any administration. Everything runs from the server.  Regarding conditions out in the field there are a few different infrastructure situations to consider. There are many places that are within walking distance to Cybercafes but don't have phones or Internet access.  And even if they do have phones they may charge for it by the minute which would make it very expensive for them to use Moodle online as we do. So I think in some situations that they will need an offline Moodle with its own server (as you all are doing). The new version of Moodle that everyone is currently working on will include, I believe, an email "switch" that will enable managing when and how the emails are sent. Hopefully the mail could be copied to a "mail carrier" floppy which would then be brought to a cybercafe or other connected computer. New lessons might need to be burned to cds and mailed in if the course resources contain large files. It might be worth considering developing an easier way for them to load new courses into Moodle.
     There's a lot of excellent programmers, developers, teachers, etc here in the forums. You and the other students will learn a lot from them so be sure to encourage them to join the forums. I'm looking forward to hearing about the projects progress.

In reply to Robert Lefebvre

by Lindy bryanton -
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll definitely encourage my classmates to join in the forums as well. We've decided to go with FreeBSD as an operating system and Mozilla as the browser for performance and space reasons. 

The final product may be set up to run offline or online, depending on the situation's requirements. We will have to make the loading of a course as simple as possible. The initial systems will be configured at the University and delivered (computer and all) to the initial test site.

by Martín Langhoff -
Lindy -- great project!

Have you seen what the Skolelinux/Debian-edu project is doing? They have a super-simple to deploy appserver/thinclient setup for deployment on schools with legacy machines (386 with 16MB even) and one or two more reasonable machines. With this setup, all the software runs on the app servers, making things easy to maintain and upgrade.

http://www.skolelinux.org/portal/
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Lindy bryanton -
I checked out skolelinux and it looks really neat. It would be perfect for us if SCORM compliance wasn't mandatory for our project. It is definitely one worth referencing though.

by Martín Langhoff -
Skolelinux is not an application.

Skolelinux is to install and manage Linux (Debian) easily in school environments with legacy computers. Have you _tried_ it? Being a Linux installation/configuration mechanism, it won't have SCORM in itself. However, it can easily run Moodle, which does support SCORM.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Lindy bryanton -
Ah... I guess I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification. We already have FreeBSD configured and running on the client machines, so I expect we'll stick with that.

by Jason Doiron -
My name is Jason and I am also in the class with Lindy and I am currently working on making the process of signing up for an account with our lite moodle a bit more straight forward.  Also, I am adding some functionality to allow demographic information on user signup to be stored in one column in the database.  My question is: Should I add another table to moodle or should add a column to the existing user table that moodle has.  I thought adding a column to the table would allow for the moodle code to automatically insert the information I needed into the table.  If I add a table, I may not be able to use the existing moodle functionality to add to the database as slickly as with another column.  I was wondering what other moodle developers thought about this.

Thank-you
In reply to Jason Doiron

by Jelle Boomstra -
from a strictly relation perspective: if the data fileds you add are 1 : 1 related to the user (or other entity the table is for) than yes, go right ahead. If You data is a different entity altogether, than create a new table.

Get some info on database normalisation, you really should get it to NF2. Draw some ER or UML diagrams before you commit to a database schema.

Another Light-Weight Moodle

by adityo ananta -
Let me to introduce my self,
My name is adityo ananta, a fourth year Computer Science student from University of Indonesia. Currently I'm working on a project that also making a some kind of light-weight moodle to be used by student from remote places with limited internet connection, our project goal is to make a light moodle with fast response and taking the course data from the CD, and synchronization with XML for the dinamic data like forum data.

So far we have made the moodle package smaller from 30M to about 12M, and making some by-pass in order to eliminate the login part.

Could you share what you have done with the project in your team, we will appreciate more info about your light-weight project. smile
In reply to adityo ananta

Re: Another Light-Weight Moodle

by Lindy bryanton -
Hi Adityo

Sorry for the delay in replying; school has been nuts lately. It's exciting to hear that someone else is doing something similar.  Some of our modifications include simplifying the install and login process, and stripping out the modules we don't require.  We're aiming to finish in the next 2 weeks and should have some better documentation of our changes put together that we can share.

by Robert Lefebvre -
Hello,

I was wondering how the Moodle Lite project was progressing.
In reply to Robert Lefebvre

by Lindy bryanton -
We finished our modifications to Moodle for the project. We found that disk space wasn't an issue so didn't strip out as much code as we had planned on. We did simplify many of the screens and made another number of screens inaccessible. We also streamlined the install process by defaulting a number of settings. There are a number of questions added we added to the sign up process for users to enter education an demographic information (voluntarily - not required). We've also added functionality so that usage data may be periodically sent or manually to a home server. We would love to share what we have done and are planning on putting our modifications somewhere - possible SourceForge.

The client will continue working on the project over the summer, creating content (in the form of Scorm courses) for the first implementation which is scheduled for the new year when he will actually transport machines running the software to their intended destination. I'm afraid the location of the pilot run escapes me - I believe it is somewhere in Africa. My explanation of his research will be horrifically inadequate, but I'll make a stab - he intends to study the learning  differences across cultures