How to set course completion requirements to include a minimum quiz grade?

How to set course completion requirements to include a minimum quiz grade?

by Richard O'Brien -
Number of replies: 6

(Moodle 2.0)

I have a course with 4 objects in it that must be viewed, along with a quiz that requires at least 90% to pass.  Enforcing the viewing of the objects is not a problem, but how do I enforce a minimum passing grade for the quiz before deeming that the student has completed the course?

Yes, I know that I can set a passing grade level for the course, but what I need is a passing grade level for the individual quiz.  Of course, I set the boundries in the quiz settings to say "sorry" to anyone getting less than 90%...but the quiz still appears to have been "completed".  I want to force them to retake it until they reach 90% or better!

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard O'Brien

Re: How to set course completion requirements to include a minimum quiz grade?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In your quiz settings, make sure it say "students must receive a grade to complete this activity" and then make another final resource -say a page for instance, that just says "well done -you have completed the course" In the Restrict access section of this page, choose Grade condition and then select your quiz from the activities in the dropdown and choose the grade you want - so that it will only appear once the student has received your chosen grade on the quiz

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard O'Brien -

Thanks, Mary,

I actually thought about creating another object to test for the passing level and to state to the student that they had passed.

I was hoping that there was a way without resorting to this....but I guess it's not a horrible solution.

Thanks again

Richard

In reply to Richard O'Brien

by SVI eSolutions -

Hi, isn't there a way of adding a grade condition to the 'activity compeletion' where a student needs to receive a grade, to also add a mininum grade?

I have added the 'attforblock' and want the students to be there for all sessions plus pass the test at the end with a minium amout of 75%.

Thanks

In reply to SVI eSolutions

by SVI eSolutions -

For those of you who are try to do the same type of thing, I found this information:

"It is possible to distinguish between 'pass' and 'fail' grades so that the activity becomes 'completed, passed' or 'completed, not passed' instead of just 'completed'. These results show a different icon and alternative text.

To set this up, you need to specify the pass value for this activity's individual grade:

1. Go to the course gradebook by clicking the 'Grades' link on the course administration block.
  2. From the 'Choose an action' dropdown, pick 'Categories and items'.
  3. Click the Edit icon next to the grade item for this activity.
  4. Turn on 'Show Advanced'.
  5. Type a grade value (e.g. 5.0) in the 'Grade to pass' box."

Though I don't seem to get a different icon or text...

My step now is to find where is shows this in the databases. In the course_completion table it only shows completed or not. It does not say if it is passes or failed. In the completion criteria table there doesn't even seem to be a pass grade for my quiz.

Can anyone help?

In reply to SVI eSolutions

by John Detlefs -

As an extra aside to this, is there a way that I can set the passing grade as a percentage?

In reply to John Detlefs

by roc mehra -

Hi,

Course Completion is confusing. I have set up a course with some Resources three assignment and one quiz. First three must be complete when viewed and the quiz must recieve grade.At end in the report acvity shows completed but course completion does not show as complete.

How the course can be showed as completed