main menu block within course

main menu block within course

by Debby Kilburn -
Number of replies: 13
I'd like to add a main menu type of block within the course itself so I have a place to add links, resources, etc., that I want to keep available to the students throughout the semester. Right now I just add those in the top content area, but after a while that gets pretty cluttered and makes the student have to scroll down a ways to get the current week. Is there a way to add this type of block?

Thanks!

Debby Kilburn
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debby Kilburn

Re: main menu block within course

by Mark Little -
Hi

There is a Reference Block which was developed by Tony Hursh which includes a Calculator and a Search and Translate tool.

Follow this link

You can always add more links to it by changing the block_reference.php

I hope this helps...

In reply to Mark Little

by Debby Kilburn -
Thanks smile I'll take a closer look at that. I need something that will let me set up journals, long-term assignments, etc. in it like you can on the main menu block on the home page. It needs to be something that the teachers can edit without having to do any code tweaking.

Debby
In reply to Debby Kilburn

by John Papaioannou -
If waiting for Moodle 1.5 is an option, you will be able to use the new HTML block that serves your need perfectly:

• The HTML block can include text, links, images etc, added with the standard Moodle Wysiwyg editor
  • Teachers can edit the contents of the block by just clicking the "configure" icon for the block
  • The title of the block can be edited as well from the same screen
  • Multiple HTML blocks in the same course are allowed

Jon
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Lorena de la Flor -

Hi there,

We have just developped two different blocks for Moodle 1.4.3

* HTML Block: allows to include any html

* Menu Block: allows to create blocks that work as the main menu

Both of them can be introduced in the main page or in any course and you can introduce as many of then as you want.

The code is quite tricky as we have introduced the content of the blocks in the stdClass structure of the course and, to allow multiple instances, we have introduced in the blockinfo field the id of the block plus the section, separated by a '_'.

So it implies to modify quite a few number of files.

Ah, we couldn't wait for 1.5 ... sad

If you are interested in using it (and trying it, because we have just finished developping), tell me so, and I will attach it to the forum.

I am not sure its code is very nice but if I post it, all you, moodlers, will be able to check smile.

Lorena.

In reply to Lorena de la Flor

by Luca Arese -

Hi Lorena,

It seems very useful and pretty, i'll test it on a Moodle 1.5 and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Would you be so kind to send me the whole Html Block packet?

I couldn't find it on the CVS...

Please send it to: aula.magna@unito.it

Thanx

Luca

In reply to Luca Arese

by Lorena de la Flor -

Sorry I last so much in answering.

I am posting the following issues in the zip file for Moodle 1.4.3:

• HTML block
  • Menu Block
  • The hack to be able to change any block title (this has been made by another person and taken from the CVS but I don't remember the name of the author, sorry!)

If you have the standard Moodle version, it is just replacing the files and adding the new ones in the Moodle structure. If its not, you should have to make diffs of the files sad

I hope I didn´t forget anything. If you have any problem, please, ask.

We are still trying it so if there is any bug tell us and we will correct it. Also if anyone find that the code could have been done in a better way, say so, as we want to do it better each day smile

Lorena.

by Luca Arese -
Thank you Lorena, and I'm sorry for las merengues....
In reply to Luca Arese

by Lorena de la Flor -

Juuum, you were very lucky that you could scape ... evil

(and the merengues are worse every day)

If I knew you were a 'la Juve' fan maybe I woudn´t have shared the block ... (just joking! ;) )

by Lorena de la Flor -

Did anyone tried the blocks?
Did it work??

by Pamela Giles -
I did.

They both worked great for about ten minutes.

Then the content of both blocks vanished and I lost the ability to put any more in. (I can add content, but instead of going into the new blocks, the information magically appears in the top Content (Topic) block for the page.)

Also, now Moodle is running much slower than it did before, and it logged me out without warning.

I think I must have done something wrong.  sad 
In reply to Pamela Giles

by Lorena de la Flor -

That is really strange!!

Did you install anything new after installing these blocks?
We have been trying it for a month and for now it's working properly, and it sounds very strange that it worked for a while and suddenly not.

I'll try to see if I posted everything just in case I missed any file in my zip.

Ah, and sorry, I hope you had a backup!!!

Lorena.

by Pamela Giles -
Oh, don't be sorry. It will be an extremly useful block to have if I can get it working.

I am very new to Moodle and may have done something weird while installing. (I tried to copy over all the files into the directories they were in in the zip file, and then I went to the admin page and it ran the routines saying both blocks had installed successfully.) The only weird thing I did after they initially were working was to move them over to the left. But they didn't repair themselves when I moved them back to the right where they'd gone by default either.

In both blocks, I can successful change the block title and save that change. And it actually saves.

In the Resource block, I can pick a Resource or Activity from the drop-down list and name it. However, when I hit "save," it actually saves in the main course topic, not in the Resource block.

The HTML block usually won't actually save the text at all, although my first attempt it saved in Topic 16 (I have 15 Topics and can't actually see this Topic 16 in the main view, but the text of the html block is listed in Topic 16 when I view the Resources page.)

Should I disable the blocks and try reinstalling them from scratch? Or do these behaviours give anyone a clue as to what is happening and how I can fix them?