Metacourses in Moodle 2

Metacourses in Moodle 2

by Darko Miletić -
Number of replies: 12

I was reading the documentation about Metacourses in Moodle Wiki

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Metacourse

and noticed this part:
"However, a course can only be one type or the other and meta courses cannot be linked directly with other meta courses."

This is not true since I was perfectly able to connect two metacourses. Is this really an error in documentation or is it a bug/feature in Moodle?

I'm using Moodle 2.1.3+

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darko Miletić

Re: Metacourses in Moodle 2

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think it's probably because that page was written for 1.9 and hasn't really been altered much for 2 - I will just take that bit out and make a note to look at the rest more thoroughly. I think the main documentation is http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/admin/setting/enrolsettingsmeta as the concept of "metacourse" is quite different now in 2

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Darko Miletić -

So that means it is possible to have endless stream of metacourses that contain other metacourses?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm the terms used in "metacourses" are not always immediately clear. Courses with all enrollees are child courses, and content courses are parent courses. When you talk about linking metacourses are you linking one course with all the enrollees to many content courses? one child to many parents? Or are you linking many courses with enrollees to each other, child to child? Or are you linking many courses with content, parent to parent, to each other? 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by ben reynolds -

The two most difficult concepts in Moodle:

1. Roles and Contexts
  2. Metacourses

Nice demonstration of 2, Colin.

Mary frightened me with her last sentence. I barely understand metacourses in 1.9, and now I have to figure them out differently?

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Darko Miletić -

I was just trying the metacourses in Moodle 2 and noticed the difference.

In moodle 1.9 you could have one metacourse (just empty shell) and link regular courses with users.

You could not link such a metacourse to another metacourse in Moodle 1.9.

That is possible in Moodle 2 although users are being passed only to the immediate parent.

This is the setup I tried:

alpha course has users and groups

beta course contains enrollment metalink to alpha course

gamma course contains enrollment metalink to beta course

I could even add more courses and link them to each other but it does not change the fact that users are being passed ONLY one level up. (from alpha to beta and no further)

The purporse of this excercise is to understad how metacourses function in Moodle 2.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I would suggest that they are not a lot different in v2 than they were in v1.9.x. Pretty much the same rules apply. AFAIK, you have been able to add as many parent courses to a single child course as you like and that does not appear to have changed. You can add as many child courses to a single parent course as you like, which also appears bnot to have changed, just how you establish the links is a little different. I am going to work through this soonish, should have already but have gotten lazy... so will update the Moodle Docs for Metacourses when done.   

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I found the same problem:

I can link unlimited course together, but,

'users are being passed ONLY one level up and no further'

So, what's the point to link many levles of metacourse, if no users in it?

by Jaume Albaigès -

Hello everybody,

Has somebody gone further experimenting with nested metacourses in Moodle 2?

Let me tell you my scenario:

I have many (say, 40) "base courses" with different students. Then I have some "content courses" (say, 10). Every "content course" should enrol everybody in the "base courses". The common way would be to make every "content course" a metacourse linked with every "base course" (ie, 40*10 = 400 links). But, as there are no differences between "content courses" it would be easier to simply link one "content course" (say CC1) with all "base courses" and then link every other "content course" as a metacourse to CC1 (reducing from 400 to 50 links). The problem is, as you noticed, that students enrolled in a "base course" are transferred to CC1 but not to the rest of metacourses, although they can be linked/nested.

Which would be the sense of this behaviour? Why I would want to nest metacourses if I can't transfer the enrolment through the whole chain? Is there any option for doing what I need?

Thank you very much.

In reply to Jaume Albaigès

by Mark Pearson -

Here's a lateral thinking possibility since all the content courses have the same contents.

Create a single 'content' course with 10 named groupings corresponding to the notional 10 original content courses. Now make this the meta course for all 40 'base' courses. Assign the individual base course enrollments to the groupings as desired. In the course settings enforce groups on all assignments. This might do what you want.

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Jaume Albaigès -

Mark, thank you for your answer. I'm not really sure if I understand you point.

As far as I know, a grouping is a set of groups, ie, is a user related concept. Why should I create groupings for each content course? Assuming I create those groupings and I put into them all the users in the base courses, how this would link with the content courses anyway?

I believe my English and Moodle knowledge should improve to fully understand your suggestion. Could you please try to detail it a bit more? Thank you again.

In reply to Jaume Albaigès

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have the same question.

Link courses into unlimited levels together, Moodle2 can do it now from the 'Enrol Metheod' menu. but couldn't include users more than ONE level up.