Need some feedback

Need some feedback

by Angela Brill -
Number of replies: 5

I am new to Moodle and am needing some feedback on how to create an assignment.  I have a worksheet with a list of vocabulary words and the students need to fill in the root and meaning of each word.  I don't know the best way/ format to do this.

Here is a sample of my worksheet:

vocabulary word            root                        meaning

abdicate                        ___________             __________________

Any help would be much appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angela Brill

Re: Need some feedback

by Peter Seaman -

Hi Angela: Sounds as though you might want the quiz module instead of the lesson (the lesson is mainly for "branching" kinds of assignments - get Q1 right and go to Q3; get it wrong and go to Q2; etc).

Within the quiz, you can create a "short answer" question that will allow students to answer but they must match your terms exactly.  Not sure which version of Moodle you are using, but you'll want to get acquainted with the Moodle docs:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Short-Answer_question_type

Good luck, and welcome to Moodle!

Peter

In reply to Peter Seaman

by Angela Brill -

Thank you for your response.  If I understand correctly I create two answers for each question and make the grade on each worth 50%?

In reply to Angela Brill

by Peter Seaman -

Yes, if there are two possible correct answers, a student would need to get both answers correct in order to get 100% credit.

Don't be afraid to try out things and see how they work.  "Moodling" is all about taking a constructivist approach to build knowledge.  I think that's how most people learn to use Moodle.  Thanks.

Peter

In reply to Peter Seaman

by Angela Brill -

Ok, when I put 50% on each question I received this message: "One of the answers should have a score of 100% so it is possible to get full marks for this question."  I have attached what the question looks like. 

With this setup it's only allowing the student to enter one answer but either answer I designate is possible.  However, what I'm trying to accomplish is a two part answer to a question.  Is that possible?

Thanks!

Attachment quest5050.jpg
In reply to Angela Brill

by Peter Seaman -

Hi Angela:  You are correct. Apparently it's not possible to create multiple answers in a short-answer question.  In that case, you probably need to use the "multiple-answer" multiple-choice question type:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Multiple_Choice_question_type#Multiple-answer_questions

I've never been a huge fan of multiple-choice questions b/c I think it's too easy for students to guess the right answer (and very hard to create credible distractors).  Maybe you could submit a request for Tim Hunt or one of his folks to create a new question type? (multiple-answer short-answer question).  Somewhere in the Moodle docs there is probably info on how to do this (I can't remember at the moment).  Thanks.  -  Peter