Username issue after 1.9.16+ upgrade

Username issue after 1.9.16+ upgrade

by Benjamin St.Germain -
Number of replies: 5

We installed the 1.9.16+ upgrade last night and everything seemed to go as normal except that now when users return to the site the first time, their username is not filled-in correctly, something like this is filled-in instead:
uѿ/7q:��|�

I'm assuming this is some sort of encryption issue and the username is not being decrypted from the cookie properly.  I don't know if this is related to the "MSA-12-0005: Encryption enhancement" since it refers to the key used for decryption of cookies, but I couldn't find any warnings or fixes for any possible issue with it.  This appears to only happen the first time the user attempts to login after the upgrade, which again make me think it has to do with this key.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Benjamin St.Germain

Re: Username issue after 1.9.16+ upgrade

by Clive Gould -

We upgraded the production server from 1.9.15+ to 1.9.16+ at 8am this morning and also had the above problem.

In addition there appears to have been a database corruption as enrolled students and all their uploaded coursework had disappeared from one course!!!

In desperation I restored the server to its backup status at 4 am this morning before the upgrade and all seems to be back to normal

I think this upgrade must be bugged and strongly advise no-one to try it until this has been sorted!

Clive

In reply to Clive Gould

by Clive Gould -

The problem with the strange characters in the login box appears to be the only problem with release 1.9.16+

What I thought was a database problem turned out to be down to a teacher who had set the enrolment duration of a course to 1 day!!!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Clive Gould

by Benjamin St.Germain -

Glad it turned out not to a be a bug with the new version.  It's funny that we had the exact same problem with two courses this quarter with that field being set.

In reply to Benjamin St.Germain

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's actually this - http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31248

Yes - it would appear that this needs further investigation before upgrading to 1.9.16 is a good idea.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Benjamin St.Germain -

So the issue is as I suspected, the encryption key change is making it impossible to access the cookie data after the upgrade.  Good to know this is the issue and not a sign of a bigger problem, but bad in that there probably isn't much those of us can do that have already upgraded and changed the key.

Besides this problem, we haven't had any other problems with 1.9.16+ since we installed it early Tuesday morning, but we are continuing to watch for any new issues.