Urgent Please - Wrong Gradebook Calculation from 2.2 Rubric

Urgent Please - Wrong Gradebook Calculation from 2.2 Rubric

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 11

I just noticed this problem (see graphic below) Can anyone point me to a way to work around it please?

In reply to Doug Moody

Re: Urgent Please - Wrong Gradebook Calculation from 2.2 Rubric

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Doug. I am really bad at understanding numbers so I might have totally  misunderstood this but actually I think your rubric is correct as it is - see here http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Rubrics#Grade_calculation

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lesli Smith -

Thanks, Mary.  I've also been pretty excited to try the new rubrics.

I'm not so great at math either, I guess.  On my first attempts, I got the exact same results Doug did with a simulated replica in one of my old courses while playing with 2.2 and rubrics on a journal assignment. Following the directions in the docs to add a "0" value column corrected it so that the grade was 16/18 and not 15/18.  

Doug--please see the attached.  Hope it helps.  Long story short: it seems that the best practice is to make sure all rubrics have a 0 value column in order for the numbers to make sense to students if you are going to publish that info.

Best,

Lesli

Rubrics example

In reply to Doug Moody

by Marty Soupcoff -

I'm not familiar with the new rubric capability in 2.x but I'm guessing this actually may be caused by something else. Check to see if you have the grade item locked in the Categories and Items page. If it is locked, grades can't be updated.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Doug Moody -

Leslie, Mary, and Marty,

Thank you all for your feedback. I added a zero column in the rubric, but I must be missing something. Going to the grader report still shows the 15 grade. I tried unchecking the completion status, but Moodle didn't regrade. I must be missing some place that forces regrades for rubric assignments. I was thinking maybe just changing the rubric would do it, but it didn't.

Any wisdom? So far, you have gotten me partway down the path! smile

In reply to Doug Moody

by Lesli Smith -

Hi, Doug.  Sorry, I forgot about the fact that I was using a test instance and could delete assignments and submissions easily to re-test (which you can't do since these are presumably real student submissions).  I also noticed that there were some issues with learning the re-grade process: I got a message telling me I'd altered the rubric so significantly that the student would no longer be able to see his grade until I re-graded the assignment.  However, the re-grade didn't seem to take.  In order to make the fix take, I had to start from scratch with an assignment that did not have submissions and try again with my student user.

Sooo...the above fix was meant to point you in the direction of what to do for future rubrics moreso than what to do with your current situation.

I was going to try to figure out what I'm missing sometime today, but I need to leave rubrics again for a bit.  I did note that if I turned rubrics off and switched back to normal assignment grading, the grades for the rubric were still there.  If someone else doesn't have an idea for how to better get the re-grades to register, here is what I would do if I were teaching a live assignment where this happened and I needed to keep the rubric data intact:

1) copy/paste the rubric into the feedback area and/or take a pic of it as you have elsewhere said you have done for other assignments just so the student has a record of what they lost for points where.

2) switch back to normal grading and over-ride the point values there.

This would just be for this assignment since there is live data in play.  Going forward, your rubrics should work as expected.  (This is also assuming you had 18 points, or the full point value of the rubric, as your assignment total points.  If that is not the case, that might be one reason the numbers aren't adding up still for you as that was a variable I assumed based on your earlier indications that you expected the assignment totals to equal the rubric totals.)

Hope this helps.  Let us know how it goes.  Best,

Lesli

In reply to Lesli Smith

by Doug Moody -

Lesli,

I have been working on this all day, and my experience is as yours (no automatic regrade with live data)

If anyone else has this experience, please let me know. But somehow, I remember a spot in Moodle where you can force a regrade. Does anyone remember the path to that function (force regrading)?

But the good news is that over on moodle tracking, they have addressed the ability for students to see rubrics BEFORE they submit an assignment. It is in beta testing, and I assume it will all work out in the next release!

On a related issue, please see my post over at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193911

I was surprised that there were no comments on that post. Maybe because I posted it in the wrong forum.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Jonathan Newman -
Try selecting the quiz from the main content page then select attempts. You will see a button for regrade. I havn't used this button or rubrics but recall seeing it.
In reply to Jonathan Newman

by Doug Moody -

Jonathan,

Nice name. Was going to be our first son's name....

Anyway, such a button doesn't exist. Can you elaborate please?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Jonathan Newman -

I wish I could take credit for the choice of names smile  but thank you!

If the grade column is not locked I am not sure why the Regrade button would not appear. Below is an image of the regrade button from the attempts page.

In reply to Jonathan Newman

by Doug Moody -

Jonathan,

I have this option for other assessments (quizzes), but I do not have it for the rubric activity. Do you see this screen for rubrics?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Jonathan Newman -

Doug,

I do not have the option for the rubric activity. I wonder if this was an oversight or intentional. Sorry I couldn't help. Best of luck!