Access to courses without enrollment

Access to courses without enrollment

by edwin rosado -
Number of replies: 2

Is there any way I can grant a role access to all courses without listing users to that role as course participants and without having to give them "can do anything" permission

I'm trying to create an "Academic Reviewer" role to grant designated people from the academics dept to browse courses and review course activity, attendance, and grades. 

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to edwin rosado

Re: Access to courses without enrollment

by Jason C -

Hello, I too would like to do something like this.  I am using 2.2.1+ (Build: 20120119).

Here is what I have hacked together so far.  I created a Category role called "Reviewer".  I gave it all of the "view" type capabilities.

This isn't working like I hoped.  For one, I still have to add the users to the individual courses, even if I assign them the role for the whole category.  I somewhat expected this but, hey, I can dream can't I?  At least we can batch job this part.

The other MAJOR problem that I have found is, in order to view all assignment submissions, the user needs mod/assignment:grade set to allow.  This means they could grade, as well as view, the assignments.  This is obviously not desirable.

I think my next step would is going to be to look into a way to add a new capability, maybe something like mod/assignment:viewall.  Then either modify the core as needed or in some form of plugin.

I have only been working with Moodle for about 4 months though, so there may be a beter way.  I am very open to suggestions/better ideas.

In reply to Jason C

Re: Access to courses without enrollment

by Martin Slavik -
  1. The capability moodle/course:view should be allowed for the Reviewer role (create new role with archetype = non-editing teacher or duplicate non-editing teacher role).
  2. mod/assignment:grade = not set or Prohibit
    mod/assignment:view = Prevent
  3. Reviewer role should be assigned to given user at Site (for all courses) or Category level (courses in category).

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Assign_roles

Average of ratings: Useful (1)