Moodle 2.2 - Custom Corners - New Theme

Moodle 2.2 - Custom Corners - New Theme

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 28
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'm in the process of porting Custom Corners into Moodle 2.2 (it will work in other versions). However I would like to ask if anyone can find a possible reason why the sideblock images are not rendering as they should.

I have a renderer.php which I am working on to get the images into place, they look OK but leave a gap in the block header. This is most annoying! sad

Here's a screen shot to see what I am talking about.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mary

Attachment CC-Block.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Moodle 2.2 - Custom Corners - New Theme

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

MIND THE GAP! All fixed!

Yeah!!!

Amasingly this theme works in IE7!

I fixed the gap with -4px top margin

Now on to styling the main content.

This sould be fun!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Morning Mary

Congrats :D Looking forward to trying this out.

I'd just read your first post about the top margin on my email and was just logging on to suggest the -something top margin, as I have had exactly that happen to me, but you'd already fixed it!big grin

Rich

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your thoughts!  Mind you without that fix it worked in IE9 using IE7 Browser and  IE7 Standards Mode (F12) how strange is that!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by James O'Connor -

Hi Mary,

I contacted the forum after our Moodle site had been hacked (turned out to be a russian sex magaine) asking if the theme Custon Corners was any where near being Moodle 2 ready?

Firstly, thanks for your support during our little crisis. Ploughing through server logs at 2 am in the morning can get you down! While it may seem silly, small words of encouragement go a long way sometimes.

We have our 1.9.7 site limpling along now, after repairing so many corrupted files and are in the process of moving to Moodle 2 on a virtual server, I've searched the Moodle Themes and wonder if Custom Corners theme is still on the agenda? Any idea when it may be available?

Many thanks again,

Jim.

(by the way, the site had an older (disused) version of oScommerce which offered medical practice tests and which was never deleted. by inserting code here via url post, all files index. were overwritten with malware. A lesson in how not to run a website maybe. But then we are basically just teachers.)

In reply to James O'Connor

by Mary Evans -

Hi James,

I am so pleased you managed to fix your site.  Glad I was of some help.

YES...Custom Corners is ready for Moodle 2.x.x

I was waiting for you to get back to me. If you let me have your email address in a Private Message I'll forward the new theme to you.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Aurore Weber -

Hi, 

In my Moodle 1.9, I'm using the Custom corners theme. I'm planning to move to Moodle 2.2 soon. 

Will you officially release this theme ?

If it's not the case, I would greatly appreciate if you PM it to me.

Cheers, 

Aurore

In reply to Aurore Weber

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

I have almost finished it, but stuck on one tiny problem with the center column border...for some reason the image isn't doing what it is supposed to do, none of the css seems to be working.

I'll see what I can do. I have promised this theme to James who requested it initially. But I have been busy lately, and it sort of got forgotten!

I'll see what I can do.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Justin Litalien -

Hi Mary, count me in as another interested Custom Corners for Moode 2 user!

Thank you for all your hard work in getting this squared away. Can't wait to see it, I'm sure it will look great!

Justin

In reply to Justin Litalien

by Mary Evans -

Hi I am just finishing this off and will be uploaded later this evening...hopefully. smile

In reply to James O'Connor

by Malcolm Rivett -

Sorry to hear about that mate, Ive had a few servers intruded before, not specificaly our moodle one, can I suggest investing in a security certificate and setting your site to https, and also insuring your SA SQL database account to have a complex password, theres alot of exploits regarding sql servers, that make quite alot of backdoors.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Evans -

Just to say that I have finished this theme and is not awaiting approval.

Here's is a screenshot...

In reply to Mary Evans

by Judith Behrens -

This is beautiful, Ms. Mary!  Well done! Where will we find it?

Judi

In reply to Judith Behrens

by Mary Evans -

Thanks! smile

When it is approved, you will be able to download it from this page...

http://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=3

At the moment it is only available for Moodle 2.2. If your version of Moodle is 2.1 I will be adding this version too, but I need to make sure the other is aproved first. So please bear with me in this as it is a long winded process!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Justin Litalien -

Hi Mary, just downloaded the new theme, thanks for all your hard work on this! I did have a few questions that I'm hoping you can share your thoughts on. See my screenshot and text below:

1) Is the logo customizable? Can this be replaced with another image or shrunk down to just list the breadcrumbs area?

2) I've added the Quickmail block in my development site. Notice the alignment of the options are way off. This seems to only happen with this block. Do you think this would be the CSS of the theme or the block itself?

3) I added an HTML block (on the left side) but for some reason there is a scrolling sidebar. When I turn editing on, this goes away. Not sure why that is.

4) All of the text in the theme is real small. This is definitely smaller than the traditional size on other pages/themes. Is there an option where that can be changed to make it easier on the eyes?

Like I said before, thanks for all your work on this. It doesn't sound like an easy thing to set up, so I'm most appreciative. These items will most certainly be asked by my faculty, so I apologize if I sound like I'm nitpicking!

Cheers...

Justin

Attachment CustomCorners.jpg

by Mary Evans -

Hi Justin,

Not in the least...I am happy you have reported these BUGs with this theme as this is the only way I can make it better.

The only reason you are getting a scroll bar in that HTML block is more to do with the content of the block rather than the theme, as most of the styling comes from Base theme. If the overflow was set to hidden the overflow of text would be hidden.

Not sure about the Quickmail plugin, I will need to see the code for this as the styling could be wrong for Moodle 2.2.

I'm not sure about the font-size I think that this could well be a mistake on my part looking at the CSS, 0.75em is tiny...however this did not look too bad on my screen.  But there again that may be a browser issue, so good thing you told me about this.

The logo can be either removed or a new header logo added. However, as this theme has no custom settings page as yet, the changes would need to be done manually. 

I originally put this theme together as an answer to a request, I was so pleased with the result I decided to add it for all to try out with the hope of getting some feedback, which is good.

I'll make some changes to the theme and upload a new version.

Thanks again

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Hi Justin,

Further to my last comment, here are some CSS fixes for you to be going on with. You can add these to user_styles.css.  These fix the Quickmail block and the HTML block, and also the Add Block search bar as this was spilling over into the right-hand gutter.

.block_quickmail ul.unlist { margin-left: 20px;}
.block_quickmail ul.unlist li img.smallicon { margin-right: 3px;}
.block .singleselect form#add_block select { width: 98%;}
.block .no-overflow {overflow: visible;}

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Justin Litalien -

Hi Mary, these fixes worked like a charm! Good stuff...

I look forward to the next release. Take care!

Justin

by Justin Litalien -

Hi Mary, just checking in to see how the Custom Corners updates are coming along. I've been checking here and there but haven't seen anything yet. Hope all is well!

by Mary Evans -

I forgot about this as I have had so much on my mind lately.

I won't make any promises but I will try to add these updates.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Justin Litalien -

Thanks Mary!

by Justin Litalien -

Hi Mary, just checking in again. We've showed some faculty your progress so far and they really enjoy it!

The only things that are coming up after viewing are:

1) The logo at the top is not institution-friendly. We're hoping to either reduce the height of the top banner (maybe a custom setting), put in the course title (like in M1), or allow us to put in the school logo or something. Any of those options would be superb!

2) The size of the font is still too small for regular browsers. Is there a way to make that easier to read?

Like I said before, our faculty are excited about this making its way to M2. So on behalf of our faculty, thanks for your work on this!

Justin

by Mary Evans -

Hi Justin,

I'm working on this right now and will hopefully have some answers for you soon

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Justin Litalien -

Very cool! smile

by Justin Litalien -

Hi Mary, hoping you've had a moment over the summer to take a peek at our suggestions. Hope all is well!

- Justin

by Mary Evans -

Not a chance! 

In reply to Mary Evans

by Justin Litalien -

On the horizon perhaps?

Just trying to get a sense for your status on this, so I can tell my faculty "no go" or "maybe by the end of the semester".

by Mary Evans -

Hi Justine,

I don;t really remember where I am with this theme now. I have worked on it and I am sure I have or intended sending you the revision. If it is I didn't or forgot, which is more than likely, then I will do my best to sort out this theme for you.

Can you send me a message with a link to your site?  Then I can checkout where you are with this theme.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Philip Roskelly -

First of all - thanks, Mary, for porting Custom Corners to  Moodle 2.x.x.

This is my first post to Moodle forums, so please forgive any clumsiness in that respect.

As a newcomer to Moodle, I have only used v2.4 and have set myself two tasks to start with - write a block (incorporating JS) and customize the Custom Corners theme.

While working on the theme, two points came up. Please take a look at my suggested fixes to see if they merit inclusion in the published code.

1) With full-strength debugging the layout breaks spectacularly in IE8 because of an error message above the DOCTYPE declaration.

2) The top corners of the side blocks (they gave you grief in January 2012) now look as though there is some kind of overlap.

Fix #1 just needs a change to line 38 of *renderers.php*.

*function block($bc, $region)  {*      becomes

*function block(block_contents $bc, $region)  {*

Fix #2 overrides the *margin-top:-4px* added on 13-Jan-2012. It is on line 358 of *layout_styles.css* and affects *div.block div.i3*. This can easily be overridden to set the top margin to zero.

Thanks again for all your work on this theme.

Philip