Blocks

Picture of Richard Miller
Remove "customise this page" button from profile?

I can't seem to figure out where or how to remove the "customise this page" button from students' full profile pages:

Home > View profile

I don't want students to be able to add blocks to this page, or anywhere else for that matter!

Moodle 2.0.5

(apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question)

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Remove "customise this page" button from profile?
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Richard,

You can remove the button for all users by editing the authenticated user role in Settings > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and unticking the capability moodle/user:manageownblocks.

If you don't want users to be able to add blocks to their My Moodle page, you can untick the capability moodle/my:manageblocks for the authenticated user role.

Picture of Richard Miller

Thanks, Helen - I'd already looked there, and both of those user capabilities were already un-ticked.

Any other ideas?

Picture of Sarah Jane

Hello Helen,

After a great deal of searching I found your very helpful details above xplaining how to remove the "customise this page" button for the students. But I see now that after I have done this the teachers button has also been removed. If I uderstand it correctly this is because both student and teacher are classed as authenticated users.

With this in mind I have then entered define role>teacher and under both of the capabilities you mention above I have selected allow - but this seems not to do anything.

So, how do I restore the teachers 'customise this page' but NOT the students?

Thanking you in advance sarah x

Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Richard, sorry you've not had any other ideas. Hopefully you've managed to figure it out by now. If so, it would be great if you could share your solution to help others with the same problem in future.

Sarah, you are right about the button being removed for students and teachers because they are all authenticated users.

The reason why changing the capabilities for the teacher role won't work is because the capabilities only apply in the system context (not in a course) and users are normally assigned the role of teacher in a course.

To enable teachers to customize their profiles but not students, see 'How can I prevent a user from changing their own password?' in Roles FAQ for two methods. They work the same for moodle/user:manageownblocks as for moodle/user:changeownpassword.

Picture of Sarah Jane

Hi there, thank you so very much for responding I did in fact eventually find the page you recommend and with this information was able to do as I wanted. The best bit of information was 

• If Student permission is Not set, and Authenticated user permission is Not set, then you are not allowed to do X.
  • If Student is Not set, and Authenticated user is Allow, then you are allowed to do X.
  • If Student is Prevent , and Authenticated user is Allow, then you are not allowed to do X.
  • If Student is Allow, and Authenticated user is Prevent, then you are allowed to do X.
  • If Student is Prohibit, and Authenticated user i Allow, then you are not allowed to do X.
  • If Student is Allow, and Authenticated user is Prohibit, then you are not allowed to do X.

With this knowledge it all fell into place.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply.

Sarah

Picture of Siddharth Patel

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for such a great detailing.

I want to remove the customize this page button for the logged in (Authenticated) users. I have set Student permission Not set, and Authenticated user permission Not set, but still I can see the customise this page button.

Any Suggestions?

TIA.
-Sid 

Picture of sangeetha vijay

Hi,

Hope this may help !!!

Goto Site Administration – Users – Permissions – Define roles – Student role - Edit

Prevent the foll:

moodle/my:manageblocks

moodle/tag:editblocks

moodle/user:manageownblocks

Save changes and verify with student role

Picture of Diane Villemure

I set to "Prevent" the three capabilities:

moodle/my:manageblocks

moodle/tag:editblocks

moodle/user:manageownblocks

in the Student role but it didn't work. I'm wondering if it's because, as per: http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Capabilities/moodle/user:manageownblocks: "This capability can only be applied in the system context i.e. as a system role."

Picture of Rodolfo Siles

Had the same problem a few minutes ago, I was able to remove the customize button for a student by changing the preferences for students, guests, authenticated users and authenticated users on frontpage . There are 5 instances of blocks, mark them all Prevent.

• my:manageblocks
  • tag:editblocks
  • user:manageownblocks
  • user:manageblocks
  • site:manageblocks

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Christian Herman
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

My understanding (after only a few days configuring Moodle, so I may be wrong) is that it isn't the roles that you edit that matter so much as to what contexts those roles are assigned.  The Authenticated User is the default system role, so every other context inherets it's capabilities if you don't put something else at the system level.  Simply changing the permissions in the Student role to Prohibit works as long as the Student role is assigned to the system context as well.

In my tinkering I have noticed that assigning Student as a system roll made locking down access very easy.  For the few things I want students to have access to I instead set the Student role to Prevent and create another role for that feature with the Allow permission.

For example, I wanted all blocks except for Navigation and Settings disabled.  ALL block permissions are set to Prohibit except for moodle/block:view which is set to Prevent.  I then created a new role with moodle/block:view set to Allow and assigned that roll to the Navigation and Settings blocks.  Works like a charm and I have no "Customise this page" button.

Picture of Lucy Mejia

Paola ! Eres Lo máximo!! Gracielas.

me

Thank you Paola!

Picture of Mike Glazebrook

So I wanted to remove the button as well as all the blocks on that page. I did what others had said to get rid of the button and then if you go to administrator settings > appearance > default my home page. Then from there you have to deactivate the blocks and all will be good. The reason I am doing this is for a joomdle integration.