Courses within Courses

Courses within Courses

by M Gardner -
Number of replies: 11
Hi sorry if this is a silly question but can you develop courses within courses?

The reason I ask what I want is
Lets say I have a Course Catagory of
    ICT Year 7
Within there I could have course
    Presenting Information
Within there a course
    Part 1

Thanks for any help in advance

MG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Gardner

Re: Courses within Courses

by Darren Smith -
Hi

What is it you are trying to acheive?

For our KS3 classes we have a category for KS3 and then a sub-category for Year 7. Within that we have a course for each unit of the National Strategy. The units are usually only around 6 weeks do I can't see any need to break them down further.

When we move over to moodle 1.5 we will have a course in the Year 7 category called something like Intake 2005 and all of the (new) year 7's will be enrolled in that course. The sub-courses (7.1, 7.2, etc) will be able to take the enrollments from the Year 7 course (but not groups sad)
In reply to Darren Smith

by Dave Townend -
I have a similar problem (posted elsewhere in full).

Categories work fine but students see the full course list on login. Is there a way to show categories which they then go into but can only see courses for which they are enrolled.

I'm trying to do this to stop a list which could be 60+ courses for an individual

Regards

Dave
In reply to Darren Smith

by jon e -

Hi Darren,

how are you enrolling pupils on your course/s ? Is it manually, using a key or do you use the enrollments database.

I ask becuase we are trying to do something similar but are having difficulty finding a way to enrol students automatically on to their course.

In reply to jon e

by Darren Smith -

Currently they enroll themselves at the beginning of a new topic. This is done in class so we can help them but most have the hang of this by now. It's not much of a problem but not perfect.

When 1.5 comes in we will be looking a using metacourses for the unit courses and have 1 master course for y7. When they enroll in the master course (once in sept) they will be automatically enrolled in all of the unit courses. We will just unhide them as we need them.

That's how metacourses work in my mind. Anyone care to confirm / put me straight?

Darren

In reply to Darren Smith

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
You've got it backwards as far as enrolments are concerned - they percolate up, not down.
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Darren Smith -
So the master course would be the metacourse and the unit courses normal courses? thoughtful

I thought when you selected metacourse you told the metacourse to get it's enrollments from a normal course (I do wish better termonology had been employed!).

I will try it on a test server over the next few hours.
In reply to Darren Smith

by Darren Smith -

Ok, I was right first time around - perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I have just created a master enrollment course in 1.5 (just a normal course)

I created lots of unit courses and made them meta courses. In the add pupils section in a meta course you pick the normal course it gets it's enrollments from - in this case my master enrollment course.

My test user enrolled in the normal (master) course and found himself immediately a member of all of the unit (meta) courses.

I know this isn't how it was designed to be used but I'm sure this is how most people will use it. I have attached an image to clarify how I will use this feature.

One final beg - please change the name of meta courses to make it less confusing before 1.5 appears shy. Something along the lines of inherited enrollments???

Attachment meta001.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Darren Smith

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
I'd like to do something similar Darren--enrolling in one course automatically enrolls you in other courses--however, I've just realized a flaw to this "reverse" metacourse.  If a student happens to unenroll himself from one of the meta courses, there's no way to re-enroll him/her.
In reply to M Gardner

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear M. Gardner,
With respect to "courses within courses" you (or others searching the forums for a similar feature) may interested in the thread
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=28361
where we are discussing possible alternative layouts for courses and content.
The more participants the merrier!
Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Timothy--are you sure this is the correct discussion link?--it goes to the discussion on the date manager block.