GoDaddy/hosting services dealing with missing php dlls ie intl.dll

GoDaddy/hosting services dealing with missing php dlls ie intl.dll

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Documentation writers

I have similar issues with XAMPP but not Ubuntu.   Dealing with a hosting service, which happens to be GoDaddy, but I suspect this is a generic problem with other similar services.

How can I turn on the Intl extension and the xmlrpc extension to get rid of those Yellow Check bars under performance?  MoodleDocs via the help link was not informative enough for this bald guy.

Best   Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: GoDaddy/hosting services dealing with missing php dlls ie intl.dll

by Alex Walker -

The Moodle documentation won't be terribly helpful, since this is more of a server issue than a Moodle issue. Also, setting up these options varies wildly depending on whether you're using Windows or Linux, and even which flavour of Linux you're using.

This really does depend on your host. If it's shared hosting, you're probably screwed. Changes like this affect an entire server, so it's very unlikely your host will change the server configuration just for you. I would bet large sums of money against it.

If it's a virtual server or a dedicated server and you have command line access to the server, it can be done quite easily. If it's Linux, just use your distribution's package manager to install those PHP extensions.

In Ubuntu, you'd want

sudo apt-get install php5-xmlrpc
sudo apt-get install php5-intl

PHP won't notice you've installed those extensions until you restart Apache.

sudo service apache2 restart
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by M. Nitko -

We're having the same issues, intl and xmlrpc are not installed and we get the yellow bars on GoDaddy.

I found this thread on GoDaddy support: http://support.godaddy.com/groups/web-hosting/forum/topic/xmlrpc-must-be-installed-and-enabled-1/

We might be out of luck with GoDaddy hosting on our end is what I'm thinking.. we just got it too..

I sent a ticket into their support and am waiting to hear from them.

Our Moodle 2.2.1+ installation is allowing the install though, despite the xmlrpc being not present and a yellow bar, as well as intl-- what can I expect if I continue the install despite not having xmlrpc right?

In reply to M. Nitko

by Carrie Kruppa -

Any word yet? I am in the same boat with GoDaddy.

You know, Moodle appears to be working even with the intl and xmlrpc "yellow bars." I do get some strange behavior that I want to eliminate, and I hoped these issues might be related. What do intl and xmlrpc do anyway? What's wrong with not having them?

I mean, GoDaddy offers Moodle as a server application, so they've got to be compatible. Surely GD wouldn't provide installation service for an application that can't work on their servers??

In reply to Carrie Kruppa

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

One site that I work with that has GoDaddy works.....but it seems slow.  Which probably has nothing to do with the two yellow checks.   What is the strange behavior?  

I have to GULP every time I purge all Moodle cache or customize the langage on the GoDaddy Moodle site.   Get a white screen with a single scary line saying something like "Input file not found".    Not used to that at all.  But a wait of 5 to 10 minutes (seems like hours) and dumping my local browser cache and all is well.  

Curious   Chris

by Dan Trouten -

I moved to HostGator several years ago because of problems with GoDaddy. I'm glad I did. I'm using a VPS plan with dedicated IP addresses. Makes things run much better.

Are you guys on a shared hosting plan aka "unlimited"? That's a party line system. Your site could be on several servers and having to update over their network when you do something. If they are having network problems the system may have gone out looking for your file on another box that isn't on speaking terms right now.

Again...HostGator. They have given much better service over the years. Just sayin....

D

In reply to Dan Trouten

by Mathieu Desjarlais -

Hello Dan,

I am presently hosting my moodle site on Godaddy and I am having a lot of trouble setting up the latest 2.2.1 version on my hosting package (4GH).

I was thinking about moving to HostGator and I wanted to get your feedback on using Moodle 2.2.1 with them. Do you know if all features of Moodle including SCORM work on Hostgator?

Thank you for your help!\

M

In reply to Mathieu Desjarlais

by Dan Trouten -

I've had no problems with HostGator that they couldn't fix. They even caught a hacker and adjusted my VPS to make sure it didn't happen again!

2.1.x and higher require PHP 5.3.x. Make sure the VPS package you get has this installed. If some of your other stuff needs 5.2.x you can run dual and they have a script to put in a .htaccess file in the root to load Moodle 2.1.x or higher.

The reason I switched from GoDaddy was because they gave poor support. HG has never let me down and they do all kinds of back flips to help their VPS clients. I'm in cue for tech support....

OK...they checked and said SCORM should work fine. They can help you set up the Moodle. I'd go the VPS route for sure.

For more info on SCORM go to http://scorm.com/ where you can search "moodle".