Backup crashes server

Backup crashes server

by Mark Berthelemy -
Number of replies: 2
Hi everyone,

I'm running a test server with 256Mb RAM & Moodle 1.4.2. I've got a course with 6 smallish files, a few external web page references, and a glossary. I'm trying to backup the course without logs, users or user files.

I get to the page listing each element to backup, but when I click the button to continue & create the zip file everything stops and the server needs to be restarted.

We did a trace on the httpd process to see what it was doing. It was backing up the files and building a backup set in memory, but the file paths it was using were very weird.

Normally we would expect to see the full path to a file being read, but it is using relative paths and seems to have used an excessive number of references to the current directory, ie ./././ etc. Very strange.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Berthelemy

Re: Backup crashes server

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Mark,

three alternatives:

- change your "zip" and "unzip" settings (currently blank) in "Administration/Variables" to use your external zip and unzip unix command executables. The 3rd part library used when such variables are empty had some problems and it's better to use the external executables, specially against BIG courses.

- Upgrade to 1.4.3+. Such internal zip library was updated in the latest Moodle's release solving some important issues.

- More memory: It's always a good alternative! wink

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: Backup crashes server

by Mark Berthelemy -
Hi Eloy,

Thanks for that. I'll try those out.

All the best,

Mark