Why are metalink enrollments and role information handled differently?

Why are metalink enrollments and role information handled differently?

by Brad Smith -
Number of replies: 2

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to Moodle, so before I file a bug in the Tracker, I wanted to get other people's opinions on this.

I am using Moodle in a corporate training environment in which I put new hires through a set of short, self-pased courses I've developed. To make this easier, I have each of the core courses metalinked to an umbrella course. That way I only have to enroll new hires in the umbrella course, rather than each of the core courses individually.

However, this has exposed an odd behavior of Moodle. I'd be surprised if I were the first person to comment on it, but a quick search of the forum doesn't turn anything up, so...

When I enroll students in this way, it looks like the enrollments sync immediately, but the role memberships sync via cron. In other words, between enrolling students in the umbrella course and the next cron execution, they appear enrolled in each of the core courses, but have no role so they can't actually *do* anything within them. 

I'm at a loss for what the rationale could be for handling things piecemeal like this. It seems to me that either everything should be done when a student is enrolled in the umbrella course, or everything should be done by cron (preferably the former, of course). 

Is there something I'm missing, or do I have a legitimate gripe that might be addressed in a future release?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad Smith

Re: Why are metalink enrollments and role information handled differently?

by Stuart Mealor -

Hi Brad

"it looks like the enrollments sync immediately, but the role memberships sync via cron"

This isn't a 'fix', but after adding Students you could trigger the Cron job manually using: http://www.yoursite.com/admin/cron.php?password=123XYZ which should update everything nicely.  However, if your Cron job is set to run every 15 or less then the delay shouldn't be too great anyway ?

Stu

In reply to Stuart Mealor

Re: Why are metalink enrollments and role information handled differently?

by Brad Smith -

Thanks for the suggestions. In fact, that's what I've been doing (changed the cron job to run every 5 mins, and manually run it when I need the change to be immediate. 

I just wanted to see if I was missing something before filing a suggestion for improving how these are handled.