Am I calling core_role_assign_roles correctly? What do these errors mean?

Am I calling core_role_assign_roles correctly? What do these errors mean?

by Jocelyn Ireson-Paine -
Number of replies: 6

On Moodle 2.2, I'm trying to call core_role_assign_roles, but I'm getting errors that I don't understand. I created a user with the program I'd posted at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193295#p841702 , "Example of using Web services". I then tried to assign it the Teacher role in context System by running the code below:

$token = 'af8fe44eggs1and1ham743779a2501';

$domain = 'http://moodle.ireson-paine.com';

$role_id = 3;    // Teacher.
  $context_id = 1; // System.
  $user_id = 134;  // An existing user.

$function = 'core_role_assign_roles';

$serverurl = $domain . '/webservice/rest/server.php'. '?wstoken=' . $token . '&wsfunction='.$function;
  require_once( './curl.php' );
  $curl = new curl;

$assignment = array( 'roleid' => $role_id, 'userid' => $user_id, 'contextid' => $context_id );
  $assignments = array( $assignment );
  $params = array( 'assignments' => $assignments );

$response = $curl->post( $serverurl . $restformat, $params );

print "Response = " . $response;

This gave me the following XML response:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>   
  <EXCEPTION class="invalid_parameter_exception">   
  <MESSAGE>Invalid parameter value detected
  </MESSAGE>   
  <DEBUGINFO>Can not assign roleid=3 in contextid=1
  </DEBUGINFO>   
  </EXCEPTION>

I don't understand that. Is it because the user needs some capability that it lacks, or what? A bit more explanation about why Moodle can't do the assignment would be really helpful.

In an attempt to find out, I then wrote a program that looped over all role and context IDs between 0 and 50, assigning them to the same user and reporting the responses. I found that none of the calls succeeded, and that I got the following five kinds of error:

(1)
  <EXCEPTION class="coding_exception">
  <MESSAGE>Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer:
           Invalid context id specified context::instance_by_id()</MESSAGE>
  </EXCEPTION>

(2)
  <MESSAGE>Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PHP catchable fatal error</MESSAGE>
  <DEBUGINFO>Argument 1 passed to external_api::clean_returnvalue() must be 
             an instance of external_description, null given, called in 
             /var/www/moodle/moodle/webservice/rest/locallib.php on line 88 and defined</DEBUGINFO>
  </EXCEPTION>

(3)
  <MESSAGE>Invalid parameter value detected</MESSAGE>
  <DEBUGINFO>Can not assign roleid=1 in contextid=4</DEBUGINFO>
  </EXCEPTION>

(4)
  <EXCEPTION class="require_login_exception">
  <MESSAGE>Course or activity not accessible.</MESSAGE>
  <DEBUGINFO>Not enrolled</DEBUGINFO>
  </EXCEPTION>

(5)
  <MESSAGE>Invalid parameter value detected</MESSAGE>
  <DEBUGINFO>Context does not exist</DEBUGINFO>
  </EXCEPTION>

Error 1, I think I understand. It happened when the context ID was 0. Presumably, that's invalid.

Error 5, I probably understand too. It happened when the context ID did not appear in the mdl_context database table. So the message is correct in telling me the context doesn't exist.

Error 3, I don't understand. That's the one I hit when trying to make my user a Teacher in context System.

Error 2, I also don't understand. This occurred when trying to make my user a Manager in context System: that is, when assigning role ID 1 and context ID 1. Isn't that valid?

And error 4, I'm unsure about. It's classified as a "require_login_exception". So something needs logging in? Would that be my user? 

Jocelyn Ireson-Paine

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jocelyn Ireson-Paine

Re: Am I calling core_role_assign_roles correctly? What do these errors mean?

by Fábio Souto -

Hello Jocelyn,

On error 2, despite the error, did the assignment succeed? Could you check it please?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Fábio Souto

Hello Fábio, and thanks for the reply. The assignment did succeed, yes. In Site administration > Users > Permissions > Assign system roles, I've just looked at the user, and it has gained role Manager.

Actually, I think I now know what's happening. Just before you replied, I discovered the same error when I ried to delete a user. The error was again:

<MESSAGE>Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer:  PHP catchable fatal error</MESSAGE>   <DEBUGINFO>Argument 1 passed to external_api::clean_returnvalue() must be an instance of external_description, null given, called in    /var/www/moodle/moodle/webservice/rest/locallib.php on line 88 and defined</DEBUGINFO>   </EXCEPTION>

I looked at line 88 of webservice/rest/locallib.php, and saw this code: 

try {
    $validatedvalues = external_api::clean_returnvalue($this->function->returns_desc, $this->returns);
  } catch (Exception $ex) {
    $exception = $ex;
  }

I then looked at lib/externallib.php. This contains a long function named clean_returnvalue, which checks return values against some kind of template. If they don't match, it throws errors such as 'Scalar type expected, array or object received.'. There's one catch-all error at the end of the function, which is generated by the line:

throw new invalid_response_exception('Invalid external api response description');

So I suspect that what's going wrong is that Moodle is checking the responses returned by core_user_delete_users and core_role_assign_roles. It's checking them against some description of what they should be. But this description is wrong, and so Moodle is throwing spurious errors.

Am I right? If so, it still leaves the question of why I can assign the Manager role to my user, but not the Student or Teacher roles.

Jocelyn

... and, of course, the question of how to circumvent this problem.

Jocelyn

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -

Hi Jocelyn,

can you write a tracker issue for 2) explaining how to reproduce?

About your main issue, it is produced because the role you are trying to assign is not returned by: 

$roles = get_assignable_roles($context, ROLENAME_SHORT); // /enrol/externallib.php:362 

I guess this 'get_assignable_roles' core function works well. You may have a misconfiguration in your Moodle.

In reply to Jérôme Mouneyrac

Hi Jerome,

I've added it to the tracker as MDL-31082.

I'm still new to Moodle. What kind of misconfiguration might I have? Those role IDs were certainly in my mdl_role table. Also, I managed to use the one for the Student role when I enrolled a user in a course (again using Web services). Should I be able to assign the Student role to a newly created user in System context, or is that illegal?

Jocelyn