OK. It took a while. But I've learned a few things about what to do (and not do) to get the LTI Provider and Consumers configured on Moodle.
For starters - here's an IMS Learing Object I've set up as an LTI Tool on on a Moodle 2.2.1. sandbox. It works nicely from the LTI Consumer on a different Moodle 2.2.2 server.
Subject: Copyright and Intellectual Property (Copyright 2012. Online Teaching Associates. All Rights Reserved)
URL - http://www.onlineteachingassociates.net:8080/moodle/local/ltiprovider/tool.php?id=2
Secret - 5506d29bf3134155fa2a916110275cce
I eventually figured out that the reason I couldn't get that server to work previously was that I had it configured with a Site Policy URL.
NOTE: Juan's LTI provider Plugin won't work from a site that's configured with a site Policy Statement on a URL.
That's at Admin>Security>Site Policy.
I don't know for a fact. But I suspect that might be what caused the looping and time-out's that kept me from connecting before.
The other thing I learned is there are lots of "optional settings" for LTI, both on the Consumer and the Provider side. Unless the LTI Provider lets potential consumers know how they've configured LTI tool or course instance, the Consumer may not be able to connect successfully.
The screenshots below illustrate both the Provider configuration and the consumer configuration for the
That's located at: Admin>Plugins>Activity Modules>External Tool
Then there's the activity configuration itself.
Finally, here's what the Provider Moodle course's LTI Provider Settings look like from the Provide-side view.
That one's tricky. If you tic "Force course or activity navigation, the remote participant loses their Moodle "breadcrumb trail" can't navigate back into the Moodle course on their originating moodle server.
And finally here's what it looks like installed on the consumer side:
That's the extent of my progress to date.
We're attempting to configure our Moodle 2.2.2 LTI Consumer to make an entire Moodle Course available from our Provider on a Moodle 2.2.1 Sandbox; with only limited success to date.
Limited because teachers can connect, but students can't. A student user can make the innitial connection and view the remote course. When the initial connection is made, the student's identity is succcessfully added as a manual enrollment on the Provide side.
But when the student in the remote course attempts to disconnect from the provider side, we get this error message and the Provide's Moodle site locks up.
I'm still working on providing courses. If I figure it out I'll post again.
Bob Blomeyer (BobBl)